Newport Arcane GM Quest broken?

crunchy

*Web Developer and Fomelo Guru*
http://www.angrygamer.net/sodwiki/index.php?title=Newport_Arcane_GM_Quest

I'm a gnome wizard of level 15. When I hail the relevent npc (Guildmaster Hayden Aulder) in southern newport at the casters guild, he doesn't respond. I tried giving him the 15 gold to initiate the quest. He took it but didn't either respond or give me the pieces for the staff.

I seem to be dubious to him, although I am indifferent to the other 2 npcs in the room (Del Jarels and Harland Idrovo) but they ignore me as well.

I worked on my faction yesterday for the citizens of newport and brought myself up to apprehensive from dubious to the citizens, but this had no affect on Hayden Aulder.

I have not done anything, as far as I know, to damage my faction with this guy. Either gnomes start out dubious to him, or my faction was broken by doing the halloween quest. The costumed citizens changed me to pvp for a while until I talked to the priest of harmony. Maybe that did it.

I'm also not able to get the starting shawl quest from Lady Niall in the Erud Palace. I'm dubious to her as well.

I don't know if maybe the faction problem in athica is the same problem in the other cities or if this is a different issue.

This sort of sucks for me because my gear is all cloth right now, and I hoped to build up my armor and weapons by quests and drops.

Gah. I hate it when people share my pain with this...but here's the scoop: there's no way to raise faction with the guild in Newport, nor is there anyway to raise it with the guild in Erudin. This isn't only problematic for gnomes, but for everyone who isn't human (for Newport) or Erudite (for Erudin, obviously). However, as long as you get and illusion from an enchanter (and I DON'T think it has to be human, it can be ANY illusion -- go figure), you'll be able to do the quests. They aren't broken, you simply need a faction of indifferent or better to do them, or maybe amiable. The Erudin line of quests are not worth it in the slightest, but the Newport Arcane Staff quest provides a person with a solid reward AND the Newport line of class (magician/wizard/enchanter) quests are among the best, funniest, and well-thought out in the game, with pretty awesome end rewards.

Bottom line -- seek out an enchanter, get Illusion: Human cast on you, and start both the Arcane staff quest and the wizard class quests

phroggonalog said:
Gah. I hate it when people share my pain with this...but here's the scoop: there's no way to raise faction with the guild in Newport, nor is there anyway to raise it with the guild in Erudin. This isn't only problematic for gnomes, but for everyone who isn't human (for Newport) or Erudite (for Erudin, obviously). However, as long as you get and illusion from an enchanter (and I DON'T think it has to be human, it can be ANY illusion -- go figure), you'll be able to do the quests. They aren't broken, you simply need a faction of indifferent or better to do them, or maybe amiable. The Erudin line of quests are not worth it in the slightest, but the Newport Arcane Staff quest provides a person with a solid reward AND the Newport line of class (magician/wizard/enchanter) quests are among the best, funniest, and well-thought out in the game, with pretty awesome end rewards.

Bottom line -- seek out an enchanter, get Illusion: Human cast on you, and start both the Arcane staff quest and the wizard class quests

Thanks. Not real likely to happen. I don't generally like to bother people for help. I could post the thread here because it would affect others, but that's about it.

Weirdly, when I originally mentioned this problem in guild chat (dalaya's beginners), someone told me they managed it without a problem on their non-human wizard.

I made a thread about the quest line here , You can do it on high elfs (My enchanter did) , my human wizard as well ( I still think its broken , no matter what that other thread says :mad:)

Just think there is a hatred to the short people, which I thought a certain gnome necromancer would have thrown a fit about.

I had a problem with my erudite and froglok -- it's not just gnomes. illusion was needed

EDIT: then again, my erudite was an enchanter, my froglok was a wizard

Is this a common problem on this server? I thought to equip my character by doing quests, but I'm wondering if I should quit bothering and just farm money to buy equipment instead.

Did we just patch this last week?

The reason I ask is because a gm mentioned that the next patch would fix the problem with the relevent npc being dubious to gnomes.

If it did have a fix in it for this npc, it didn't take for me. I'm still dubious.

This isn't even a bug. The faction system is doing this *on purpose*--if you're not from newport, you'll need to either do faction quests of some sort, use a faction spell, or get an illusion if you want to do the quests. That's why those spells exist.

Thinkmeats said:
This isn't even a bug. The faction system is doing this *on purpose*--if you're not from newport, you'll need to either do faction quests of some sort, use a faction spell, or get an illusion if you want to do the quests. That's why those spells exist.

If I could do faction quests, I would. There are no faction quests available for the arcane faction. I would happily do them.

Faction spell or illusion spells? My gnome is a wizard. How is he supposed to cast illusions? It's for a wizard staff, so requiring a non-wizard spell to do this seems highly counter-intuitive.

I don't mean to be a pest, but I had asked about it and was told it was broken. Now you tell me it's working as intended. I wish the devs and the gms would get on the same page with this stuff.

crunchy said:
If I could do faction quests, I would. There are no faction quests available for the arcane faction. I would happily do them.

Faction spell or illusion spells? My gnome is a wizard. How is he supposed to cast illusions? It's for a wizard staff, so requiring a non-wizard spell to do this seems highly counter-intuitive.

I don't mean to be a pest, but I had asked about it and was told it was broken. Now you tell me it's working as intended. I wish the devs and the gms would get on the same page with this stuff.

Who told you it was broken? Everyone in this thread has said the same thing: It's because you're not from newport. You need an illusion for the city if you want to do its quests without being from there. Of *course* you can't cast it yourself; it's an MMO, nobody is completely self-sufficient. Ask nicely for a local enchanter to hook you up or just focus on leveling or whatever you want to do, but this isn't even a bullshit "working as intended" reply--this is clearly the way it's supposed to be, and indeed has been for basically ever.

Thinkmeats said:
Who told you it was broken? Everyone in this thread has said the same thing: It's because you're not from newport. You need an illusion for the city if you want to do its quests without being from there. Of *course* you can't cast it yourself; it's an MMO, nobody is completely self-sufficient. Ask nicely for a local enchanter to hook you up or just focus on leveling or whatever you want to do, but this isn't even a bullshit "working as intended" reply--this is clearly the way it's supposed to be, and indeed has been for basically ever.

Yes, everyone ON THIS THREAD has said it's not broken. Previously to creating this thread, I was told by a gm to create this thread when I asked if it was intended that gnomes should be unable to do the quest. Previously to this thread, I was told by other players that it's broken and to contact a gm. Previously when I read other similar quests, such as the arcane one in erud, people stated that they couldn't do it before but then it got fixed and they could, and they weren't erudites.

I can do lots and lots of the newport quests without being from newport. I can't do the arcane gm staff quest and there are no faction quests I can do.

Previously to my previous post on this thread, a GM told me that the faction was broken for gnomes there and the next patch would fix it.

I'm not going to mention that the wiki doesn't say that this quest is reserved for newport people, since even though there's a link on the home page here to the wiki, I don't know that the devs/gms have anything to do with the wiki.

So yes, I don't believe the gms and the devs are on the same page, even if you and everyone else on this thread seem to think so.

Back
Top Bottom