New to Boxing

Punch

Dalayan Beginner
Hello. I was wondering what the easiest duo to 2box might be, I'm new to the boxing world and I seem to be extremely slow switching between. I have a Cleric I'd like to keep as one if possible, bit Im terrible at this.

As of now, Im just Alt-Tabbing between windows, but I'll gladly use another method if it makes this easier.

Get a tank to alt-tab to. So that way you only need to switch over to heal or re-do buffs. Won't swap as much that way. I alt-tab between windows, and have some unconvential boxes, and do ok.

Warrior / Cleric i can imagine would involve the least alt tabbing back to cleric, for the most part.

Don't box an enchanter or another healer, you'll break your keyboard :p

Warrior / Cleric i can imagine would involve the least alt tabbing back to cleric, for the most part.

Don't box an enchanter or another healer, you'll break your keyboard :p
But war + cleric would be awfully dull and slow leveling. Awfully lacking dps until you'll be 65 with around 400 AAs.
You can of course do this, but be warned of what's incoming too.

For reference, I did warrior + shaman, and while not awfull, it's already lacking in that department.

For your own sake, if you are going for melee+healer I'd more suggest something like bard+druid/cleric or monk+druid/cleric. It might be a bit harder to get by at the start but it's much richer in the end. And who can the most can also the least (aka set your bard pulsing a song and meleing while you focus on the heals/nukes).

You can do pretty much the same with Shadowkights or Paladins, but you'll be somewhat lacking in the dps department.

Chosing a warrior means you want to be a guild's main tank. If you want that, you'll have to show lots of dedication and perseverance. And also that you think you'll be lucky enough to catch a starting guild that needs you.

It all depends on how casually/seriously you want to play and what goals you have.

EDIT and summary: don't pick two classes that are too easy or dull because you don't know how to box yet. When you will, playing will start being boring. You'll learn your classes and boxing along the way. It takes a while to get to the top, you have plenty of time to learn and master it.

Last edited:
Very true words... When i came to SoD i'd never boxed or played a caster and i didn't even know how to alt tab which sucked for 5 levels o_O i played a sk/ shaman and i loved it but SK's kinda redundant and now i focus on my shaman.

Of course, if you want to know the golden box that would be monk/ shaman but you can't throw a stone in SoD without hitting one of those.

Druid + Tank

Shaman + Tank

Insta win !

Personally I have become VERY fond of farming with Shaman along with my ranger... But I'm boxing Zurkka and he can tank better than me.

a lot of people are suggesting tank+healer. The disadvantage here is that there are a lot of unused tanks laying about and whether or not to go with a tank as one of the characters in your combo kind of depends on whether you want to be the person starting and organizing groups or if you would rather join groups other people form. If the last, consider starting some melee character that you could duo with (ie play with cleric+new char on your own) but that would also be welcome in groups.

Ie stay with your cleric, add a beastlord, ranger or bard. All of these would also add some dps to the cleric combo.

I box bard and enchanter, chanters can solo well, just very slow... add a bard to the mix for pbae mez's snares and relic spells.. can nuke harder, break rooms more affectlvely and fear kite.. not to mention grinding is hella fast from 1 - 65 since AE kiting is boss on grinding. 1-65 in 5 business days.

Id suggest boxing a wizard and anything else.

Wizards are the easiest of all classes to box.

Open with (wizard) casting Concus (alt tab)
do something productive on the class you want to play (alt tab)
Cast big nuke/rain (alt tab)
do more fun stuff on 2nd box (alt tab)
Cast concus (alt tab)
you get the picture... :)

One word of advice for boxing a caster of any kind, macro macro macro. Make some of the casters work macro'd, for instance, if you want to box a shaman, make a macro that has malo/slow, that way you can focus on your other char for longer then if you are casting both spells individually. I boxed an sk/shm in live to 65/100aas in the PoP era, as far as live goes, this was a killer combo. Single pulls from sk made it so I never had to deal with CC and could just malo/slow/dot then sit until sk needed heals. as for a healing macro, depending on the ratio of your heal vs. other chars total hp, make a macro that heals several times in a row, and just wait for your hp to drop to 50% or so then hit the macro and go back to focusing on your melee char.

On SoD i decided on bst/druid combo. It's much more sloppy then sk/shm, but also more fun because of it. If I can get a single pull, I usually use a dot/nuke macro on the druid and stay on the bst during that time. If i don't get a single pull, I just grab aggro with bst/bst pet then wait until one or both needs healing and do so accordingly. You'll find that aggro management makes boxing so so so much easier. If your caster has hide, like my druid does, make a macro that does /sit then /doability X, where x is hide. That way you have a chance of not being raped by an extra mob during pulls. I usually also put an /afk talk to XXX, this toon is a box, so I am only using one character to communicate, its easy to get confused who your talking to on what character if you used both to communicate.

But it does just take practice to get good with it. When I started playing SoD after about a 4 year absence from EQ, I was very sloppy and felt totally unorganized. Now at about lvl 30 I'm fairly proficient at it. Just stick with it and you'll get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom