New player questions

Teague_0

Dalayan Beginner
Hi everyone. I recently started on SoD this week after seeing it on twitch, and I had a few clarifying questions.

To preface, I went with a warrior and shaman as my duo. They are currently at level 19 and 18 and I already feel like I've missed a ton in terms of adept hunting. So naturally, my first question is related to adepts. If I've skipped adepts 1-20 and missed out on great gear, how likely is it that I will be able to take on adepts going forward? Im currently wearing a full set of halas quest armor (minus chest - quest is to difficult at my level) and I think it is largely lacking in comparison to some adept gear I've seen.

Q#2 - How do I go about locking xp so I don't out pace adepts? And will my expable gear continue to grow if I lock my xp?

Q#3 - I picked unsworn as my diety. Does this have any downstream impacts or consequences?

Q#4 - The world layout seems confusing to me (maybe it's just the renamed zones). Are their any resources that layout connected zones in a sequence like format? I've spent all my time in Everfrost, so I'm not really sure what my leveling options are aside from the wiki leveling guides and some posts within this introduction section.

Q#5 - Adept hunters. For the community characters, do you use them in conjunction with your two box? Or or do you have to log one of your toons and replace it with a hunter?

Lastly, if you have any suggestions on a path forward that would net some cool content + gear, I'd be interested in hearing it. My tentative plan was to lock at 20, try to clear Blackburrow, The Cesspits and look onto the Shrouded Isle (per another recommendation thread).

Thanks in advance guys!

You did miss a bunch of adepts but its not that big of a deal if you aren't worried about some adept completion goal. Most adept gear is on par or atleast comparable with the better twink gear you can give low levels. The leveling experience however was never designed around this loot though, over the time new players have gotten access to better items that are easier to acquire. Its really just up to you if you want to haul ass to max level or attempt to savor the low level journey. If you really aren't in a rush and can tolerate waiting a day or two for potential spawns then by all means restart over so you can be a low level powerhouse.

#2 : you type /cmd explock 1 on each character and it will block all exp gains, typing explock 0 will undo it.

#3: to pick a deity you have to actually go to a specific island in game and then swear to one, all characters begin agnostic barring some class/races. picking a deity does have an impact but its not the biggest one. until you're level 65 this really doesn't matter and probably isn't worth worrying about.

#4: http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Map , https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/images/d/d9/WorldMap_Nwaij.jpg , https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Zones

#5: you may only play two characters at any given time, so yes you would need to swap out if you want to use a box with yours, alternatively ask in ooc for help and somebody will probably assist you for most of them.

Also the adepts give a lot of experience on a kill so take that into consideration if you really want to try and get an item from them. I recommend doing the cesspits like you said because you can get a cool illusion:erudite item on top of a lot of quest turn in exp. The cesspits also has a level lockout, i think past 30? you aren't able to zone in there anymore.

To add to Otcho's response for your 4th question, you may want to familiarize yourself with the Mansion of Portals, which is SoD's answer to EQ Live's Plane of Knowledge. You should be able to zip around Dalaya via the mansion even if you're still working on piecing together the geography in your head. If you feel like trying out the MoP without having to drag your main characters there, create a level 1 character in any city but Grobb or Halas and look for the MoP entry portal somewhere in the city. It should be marked on the map.

As it happens, the race you chose for both your characters — Barbarian — is the most isolated race of all in Dalayan lore and therefore the worst for getting to know the lay of the land as a newbie! Once you venture to other zones, though, you'll start to pick up on the zone names and connections in no time.

You're still low enough in level that there are several adept items coming up that would be great for your WAR and SHM if you're willing to slow down to do some farming. Elderwood Staff (21), Robes of Fiery Renewal (24), and Hunting Warscythe (25) come to mind. You're also low enough to try out the new adept encounter that was released a few days ago if you're really feeling adventurous.

If you want to add stuff to your to-do list outside the adept scene, this post should give you some ideas. You may also want to look into getting the clickies from two newish newbie quests in Zenn Malath, The Unfinished Canvas and Gug's Bugs, both of which should be easily doable at your level.

Last edited:
You did miss a bunch of adepts but its not that big of a deal if you aren't worried about some adept completion goal. Most adept gear is on par or atleast comparable with the better twink gear you can give low levels. The leveling experience however was never designed around this loot though, over the time new players have gotten access to better items that are easier to acquire. Its really just up to you if you want to haul ass to max level or attempt to savor the low level journey. If you really aren't in a rush and can tolerate waiting a day or two for potential spawns then by all means restart over so you can be a low level powerhouse.

#2 : you type /cmd explock 1 on each character and it will block all exp gains, typing explock 0 will undo it.

#3: to pick a deity you have to actually go to a specific island in game and then swear to one, all characters begin agnostic barring some class/races. picking a deity does have an impact but its not the biggest one. until you're level 65 this really doesn't matter and probably isn't worth worrying about.

#4: http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Map , https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/images/d/d9/WorldMap_Nwaij.jpg , https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Zones

#5: you may only play two characters at any given time, so yes you would need to swap out if you want to use a box with yours, alternatively ask in ooc for help and somebody will probably assist you for most of them.

Also the adepts give a lot of experience on a kill so take that into consideration if you really want to try and get an item from them. I recommend doing the cesspits like you said because you can get a cool illusion:erudite item on top of a lot of quest turn in exp. The cesspits also has a level lockout, i think past 30? you aren't able to zone in there anymore.

Thank you so much for the info!

To add to Otcho's response for your 4th question, you may want to familiarize yourself with the Mansion of Portals, which is SoD's answer to EQ Live's Plane of Knowledge. You should be able to zip around Dalaya via the mansion even if you're still working on piecing together the geography in your head. If you feel like trying out the MoP without having to drag your main characters there, create a level 1 character in any city but Grobb or Halas and look for the MoP entry portal somewhere in the city. It should be marked on the map.

As it happens, the race you chose for both your characters — Barbarian — is the most isolated race of all in Dalayan lore and therefore the worst for getting to know the lay of the land as a newbie! Once you venture to other zones, though, you'll start to pick up on the zone names and connections in no time.

You're still low enough in level that there are several adept items coming up that would be great for your WAR and SHM if you're willing to slow down to do some farming. Elderwood Staff (21), Robes of Fiery Renewal (24), and Hunting Warscythe (25) come to mind. You're also low enough to try out the new adept encounter that was released a few days ago if you're really feeling adventurous.

If you want to add stuff to your to-do list outside the adept scene, this post should give you some ideas. You may also want to look into getting the clickies from two newish newbie quests in Zenn Malath, The Unfinished Canvas and Gug's Bugs, both of which should be easily doable at your level.

Ty for the response Grink! I will definitely be locking at 21 it looks like to try and get that staff for the Shaman while I explore the Cesspits.

In my opinion, screw adepts- but then again it's all about what you want from the game and what your gaming style is. Me personally, my goal would always be, get max lvl and exp to get in a raiding guild to get loot. With the population being so low, some guilds don't care how much of a scrub you are, they just want someone devoted to the game with good common sense and will be willing to play other toons as necessary if your toon isn't suitable for the encounter you are raiding.

I could see making alts as devoted adept hunters and lock them but not on mains, because I like to raid. but if you don't have the time or ability to focus on 3+ hours of raiding, than yeah make your mains adept hunters..

No, you can't play your 2 characters and play the community characters, boxing 3+ will get you banned or jailed (in-game time out)

Layout of the map is same from live, just many different named zones. no more Qeynos :( damn i don't even remember how to spell it now..

Talking end-game, you best save as much plat as possible, because it's allllll about the charm. I'd be more focused on doing head-bashing quests like The Vah and the Main Quest instead of adepts. You'll get to a part in the MQ that you will be able to unlock iksisith (Kunark), then you can work on Refuge faction (access to zones and clicky gate). Once you find out more about Diety's (I lack so much knowledge there), you can decide which god to pledge to, once you know what alignment that god asks of you, then you can pick you alignment quest (Council of Innovation, Silvercrown, or Blackscale these yeild an aug as well)..

Quest and charms > everything lmao

one of the big reasons to get adept gear is if you are undergeared in your 60s it can get painfully slow xping.also there are many fun items were you can get some effects you may have to wait for higher end raiding to get otherwise like a item that summons a vendor and items with worn ds and various useful clickies.

Hi everyone. I recently started on SoD this week after seeing it on twitch, and I had a few clarifying questions.

Thanks in advance guys!

I tend to post this when these types of threads pop up because this game is so awesome and I hope people connect with it. I haven't played this game in many years but I keep a bit of tabs on whats going on and I think everything still applies.

Look into doing these quests (1 and 2) which I mention because they have a level cap. Don't want to pass these by!

Check out this post by Grinkles, one of the most helpful people in the history of civilization. While your at it, you may look into his post history and just keep learning.

Cesspits is a zone for young players to find great exp and usable gear. You get a high level zone experience in a low level zone. It is level capped at level 29, so get there before then to grab all the gear you want. I think I remember going there at lvl 10 and being able to stay there for great exp past lvl 20.

A couple other recommendations:

Last edited:
You can also get into requiem of hate toward the end of the leveling curve and get some gear that gains xp and ends up pretty nice.

though (for casters at least) the hate weapon literally won't fit in bags, gg bank slots.

Back
Top Bottom