New player perspective of 'The Dream'

Seracid

Dalayan Beginner
Ok, so I just started last night and I have some thoughts to share.

In the off case it is relevant, I created a human monk and a human druid.

The introduction to the journal system was clearly laid out in text, but doesn't actually state that the journal window in game isn't where you need to be looking. Yes, this is quickly figured out via trial/error, but it was a stumbling block in the first minute of the game. After getting some super helpful macros setup for handle quest decisions and basic journal display, I headed to the combat introduction. This is where the monk and druid were fairly different. The monk got an intro to stances (spot on with that), got a weapon, and a rat to fight alone. The druid got a weapon/offhand combo along with the 'standard' starting spells for a druid and a rat to fight, but not alone because there was an npc tank holding the rat's attention...and pretty much killing it without any interaction from me. My honest suggestion on that would be to make the quest require casting a heal on the tank (spells provided were Minor Healing and Skin like Wood(?)), or remove the tank altogether (or perhaps insanely weaken the provided npc?). The next part was the 'clicky' intro and that passed with no issues. The same can be said for the 'Choice' interaction. Along with the Choice npc is when the quest started telling me I would be able to select a patron deity in the next area. 'Choice' sent me to 'Last', which gave a set of books each time she was interacted with (these books cannot be destroyed, even if you have duplicate copies (says it requires a trash can)). 'Last' warns me to pick a deity if I want before leaving (b/c apparently answering her Chaotic/Lawful question ends the dream). So now we come to why I chose not to leave the tutorial last night...

Monk: Was first created with a choice of Enthann (during char creation)...when I got to the last room, I tried to select Jayla and was told I was already bound to another deity. Thinking this was because I had chosen Enthann at creation, I recreated the character as unsworn, ran through the tutorial again and encountered the same issue. After this I was told in discord about /cm stats, which showed the following: "Tonbarry has not sworn to a deity and gains no religious modifier to their specializations."

Druid: After doing all of the above with the monk, I made the druid (at char select deity selection is required and I chose Malath), ran through the tutorial and saw the same issue with both Malath and Jayla. /cm stats showed the same message as the monk (aside from char name, of course).

So I logged out of the game with both of my characters still yet in the tutorial, bound and determined to find a solution to something I was 'obviously' doing wrong. An hour or so later on discord, though, someone (discord: Marthog) pointed out that this version of the dream is brand new...so I'm going to just leave these thoughts here and head out of the Dream when next I log in.

It's a big world out there and I need to fill it with my corpses. LOL

Edit: forgot to mention how odd it is that you can't ask questions of the guild when in the tutorial b/c you can only whisper. That leaves discord or nothing really when one is in there.

Last edited:
Monk: Was first created with a choice of Enthann (during char creation)...when I got to the last room, I tried to select Jayla and was told I was already bound to another deity. Thinking this was because I had chosen Enthann at creation, I recreated the character as unsworn, ran through the tutorial again and encountered the same issue. After this I was told in discord about /cm stats, which showed the following: "Tonbarry has not sworn to a deity and gains no religious modifier to their specializations."

I am presuming you are a frog monk and that means due to lore reasons you are sworn to Malath at creation. Selection at character creation actually does nothing afaik. Frogs are malath, SK are Marlow and Paladins are althuna by default.

Having looked at fomelo and seeing you are a human monk I have no idea why. The best advice I can give you is to completely ignore the deity system until you are a higher level and ready to make an informed decision.

Druid: After doing all of the above with the monk, I made the druid (at char select deity selection is required and I chose Malath), ran through the tutorial and saw the same issue with both Malath and Jayla. /cm stats showed the same message as the monk (aside from char name, of course).
The Jayla thing specifically was bugged, just fixed that as of this reply.

Also, thank you for your feedback! I'll take a look at some of the other stuff again.

The best advice I can give you is to completely ignore the deity system until you are a higher level and ready to make an informed decision.
This, so many times. Hell, I can not even fathome why they made pledging a thing you can do in The Dream.

Back
Top Bottom