MS ACCESS 2003/XP Question

Andaara

Dalayan Beginner
Anyone here an Access wiz? I have a very specific question I can't seem to find the answer for. I am a self-taught novice in Access, but I have been able to figure out how to do mostly everything I've needed to, save one thing. Here's what I want to do...

I have developed a database to keep track of the Musical Library for my Air Force Band. We have a huge library that was not well documented in the past and I have built a simple Access database that suits our purposes perfectly. Except for the field in question, all other fields in the database are unregulated text entry. The one that is not is what I called "Musical Style" and I want to control what listings are used for query/reporting purposes, such as Concert, March, Big Band, etc. To ensure that nothing is missed due to misspelling, incorrect naming or simply leaving the field blank, I have restricted the drop-down box to a few very specific options and disabled the Null Value option.

What I've done already...

-I've created a drop-down combo box that includes the preset style listings you can search with. I then set that box on its own form with 2 buttons (one called "search" and one called "cancel"). This form is linked off my main switchboard and is tied to the appropriate Query. Once you select the style from the drop-down, "search" runs the Query, and "cancel" closes the form and returns you to the switchboard. Not complicated and it works fine.

What I want to do...

-I would like to use the same combo box to run a Report and display it in an already defined layout. The Musical Style Report runs just fine by itself once you manually type in the name of the style you want it to report on. However, I cannot firgure out how to tie that same drop-down box to the Report and have it work seamlessly as the Query does. What it does instead- after you select the style you want and click "search" it brings up the box for you to manually type in the style the same way it would if you ran the report directly, and then it works.

Just as the Query does, I would like the Report to have its own form and take its value directly from the drop-down selection without asking for anything to be manually entered. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding an answer online that does not involve me signing up for a class or paying a membership fee to some help site. I am basing my design on what I learned about how to setup the process for a Query, but am being hosed because a Report does not have the Criteria field in which to link the drop-down form. Perhaps there is a better way to do this for a Report?

Please PM me if you have an idea or reply if its something you think others would benefit from knowing. Thank you! Now back to leveling...

Anyone here an Access wiz? I have a very specific question I can't seem to find the answer for. I am a self-taught novice in Access, but I have been able to figure out how to do mostly everything I've needed to, save one thing. Here's what I want to do...

I have developed a database to keep track of the Musical Library for my Air Force Band. We have a huge library that was not well documented in the past and I have built a simple Access database that suits our purposes perfectly. Except for the field in question, all other fields in the database are unregulated text entry. The one that is not is what I called "Musical Style" and I want to control what listings are used for query/reporting purposes, such as Concert, March, Big Band, etc. To ensure that nothing is missed due to misspelling, incorrect naming or simply leaving the field blank, I have restricted the drop-down box to a few very specific options and disabled the Null Value option.

What I've done already...

-I've created a drop-down combo box that includes the preset style listings you can search with. I then set that box on its own form with 2 buttons (one called "search" and one called "cancel"). This form is linked off my main switchboard and is tied to the appropriate Query. Once you select the style from the drop-down, "search" runs the Query, and "cancel" closes the form and returns you to the switchboard. Not complicated and it works fine.

What I want to do...

-I would like to use the same combo box to run a Report and display it in an already defined layout. The Musical Style Report runs just fine by itself once you manually type in the name of the style you want it to report on. However, I cannot firgure out how to tie that same drop-down box to the Report and have it work seamlessly as the Query does. What it does instead- after you select the style you want and click "search" it brings up the box for you to manually type in the style the same way it would if you ran the report directly, and then it works.

Just as the Query does, I would like the Report to have its own form and take its value directly from the drop-down selection without asking for anything to be manually entered. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding an answer online that does not involve me signing up for a class or paying a membership fee to some help site. I am basing my design on what I learned about how to setup the process for a Query, but am being hosed because a Report does not have the Criteria field in which to link the drop-down form. Perhaps there is a better way to do this for a Report?

Please PM me if you have an idea or reply if its something you think others would benefit from knowing. Thank you! Now back to leveling...

Hmmm... after having read through your post thoroughly I have come to the conclusion that this sounds as though it may be a monitor problem. Check your monitor and hopefully the report will be better.

Back
Top Bottom