List of BPs whose procs are probably too good and make you want to use the item for too long.

Tevinter

Dalayan Pious Diety
recent discussion made me feel like this post was finally necessary. I don't think any of these items were really a secret, but regardless this is probably going to be ill-received by literally everyone. I've been wanting to rip this bandaid off for years.

in no particular order:
https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Odessi's_Shimmering_Silk_Kimono (fun fact i made a thread about this item like 10 years ago lol)

i might be missing some, and there are some items you can argue are bordering on making this list (Blackmetal robe, that paladin bp from glizik, breastplate of flowing life). there also should probably be another list adjacent to this one titled "BPs whose procs are only deemed reasonable because they're a direct upgrade to a proc on an item several tiers lower"

cant wait till procs get removed and every item is eclipse 2.0

PS: whens the boot/wrist proc thread and the thread about healer weapons.

I think alot of us know that Tev is correct on this, and while my list isn't identical to his, this topic has been around for 10+ years and everybody knows that certain pieces of gear punch way above their weight because of reactive procs. That being said, I don't think BP procs should go away, but I think it would be healthy for the game if the way they worked were tweaked a bit.

We brainstormed some radical ideas:

BP-Proc Type 2: Procs when your HP drops by more than X%.
BP-Proc Type 3: Procs that have their own unique cooldown timer.

I really enjoy the idea of bp procs having internal cooldowns. I also think having them trigger based off incoming damage taken rather than a % chance on hit is a much less "abuseable" system, and doesnt have weird quirks like fae robe being significantly better vs a mob that aoes 10 times for 100 instead of 1 time for 1000.

So, based purely off my observation, the most egregious effects on BPs are 1) Heals, especially group heals, and 2) High proc rate DDs. If those items could be set to the BP type Procs 2, and 3 above, respectively, that would open up a lot of room to balance them independent from utility procs, which should remain more or less as they are.

Any thoughts on this?

recent discussion made me feel like this post was finally necessary. I don't think any of these items were really a secret, but regardless this is probably going to be ill-received by literally everyone. I've been wanting to rip this bandaid off for years.

in no particular order:
https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Odessi's_Shimmering_Silk_Kimono (fun fact i made a thread about this item like 10 years ago lol)

i might be missing some, and there are some items you can argue are bordering on making this list (Blackmetal robe, that paladin bp from glizik, breastplate of flowing life). there also should probably be another list adjacent to this one titled "BPs whose procs are only deemed reasonable because they're a direct upgrade to a proc on an item several tiers lower"
https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Lux_Diem

This is fine

there also should probably be another list adjacent to this one titled "BPs whose procs are only deemed reasonable because they're a direct upgrade to a proc on an item several tiers lower"
that item isn't a BP, also the only class that item is too strong for is paladin. if lux, spire of sympathy, and cella were bps though they'd probably be on one of these lists.

EDIT: adding the math of the "overpowered" lux to this post for sake of clarity.

in general, you can determine the value of a proc with a pretty simple formula. This doesnt take everything into account (slower weapons gain a bit of value if you're weaving in casts).

(Proc chance * Proc amount) / Weapon delay = effective proc value.

in terms of healing:
spire of sympathy: (9 * 600) / 45 = 120
cella: (5.2 * 600) / 26 = 120
lux: (25 * 300) / 60 = 125

Going from spires to silent halls you get a gheal weapon proc that is 4.167% better healing output. Granted the lux proc also has a damage component, but its nothing groundbreaking. For reference, the damage proc from akarn wand in spires is about 3x the dps of the proc on lux.

Last edited:
I think that in light of the fact that the way BP procs operate might be reworked in the future, that it may not make sense to individually evaluate these items and try to fix them.
mostly agree, that being said there are items on this list whose proc effect simply does not have an alternative from a higher tier item. Can always revisit this in the future though.

Xi Valla Kah. Its hard to discuss this item without discussing the entire clusterfuck of SoD BP progression and the strength of certain proccing BPs. If this items AC gets nerfed hard enough, you'll just see people abusing certain BPs. Unless future BPs have equally strong procs, most classes and smart players will favor lower tier items for their procs.
Personally I think most BPs with noteworthy procs are problematic. You could remove every stat (except the proc) from Faeweave tunic or the Fae Robe and they would still be some of the best BPs in the game. Odessi's Shimmering Silk Kimono could have negative stats on it and I think it would be one of the best wizard items in the game (in a world w/ nerfed 4.3 robe). On a cleric in an exp group situation, I think the BP from experiment in spires is close in value to 4.3 robe in terms of survivability, if not better. For stats on most BPs to ever take priority I think you'd have to entirely gut most BP procs.
this thread was foretold by the prophecies. i still agree with the bit about certain BPs seeing use even if they literally had 0 stats on them. hoping whatever planned changes to BP procs changes my stance on that.

Back
Top Bottom