Leechstorm.

I don't believe a mana tap would be realistic, based on the fact Mind Wrack was recast-nerfed to like 3 minutes. Unless its self only, and could be used like a ghetto Gather Mana from enchanters (except you need a mob that uses mana to make it work which makes it situational, and explains the lower timer compared to 2+hrs on Gather Mana).
I'd still stay around the original idea of making damage (through increase lifetap or bane damage).

I do not think having every 24th Mind Wrack be more powerful would be excessively OP'd or turn necros into live version mana batteries. I thought about this today (and prayed to Wiz for guidance a tad) and have come up with three ways this new "Lichstorm" AA could go down:

1. 100 (or 150) mana for 4 ticks that does not stack with Mind Wrack but also does not share a timer (effectively doubling the duration of Mind Wrack every 72 minutes- possibly more mana).

2. 200-250 mana for 5/4 ticks respectively that would reset the reuse on Mind Wrack (a 2.5X draining Mind Wrack every 72 minutes).

3. 100-150 mana for 4 ticks on the same reuse as Mind Wrack, but for your entire raid. (yah, i suggested it)

I do not think taking a good, uniquely necro, spell that is a tad weak come 65 and giving it a boost/upgrade every 72 minutes through AAs (splurt ==> festering curse) is unbalancing, going to change the class into some hellish live incarnation, or particularly OP'd (no moreso then having two necros around).

If I am totally wrong about all that and trying to ruin the game and force everyone to roll a necromancer so they can drain a little more mana every hour or so then I will reiterate my fallback suggestion- make Leechstorm heal your entire group. I do not find the resulting AA to be particularly exciting, but situationally at least more useful then the current AA.

After reconsidering Lacey's increased DoT idea it no longer makes me "not happy", but I honestly have not parsed nearly enough to make any suggestion or informed decision... perhaps someone could produce some numbers and definitive ideas about this?

Personally, I think that it would be best for balancing to not have an aa that affects the entire group, those spells tend to be extremely powerful when used in certain circumstances, and to be honest, necros are already extremely powerful in most situations. The problem with leechstorm is that it's a long recast for something that only applies to a certain situation. 5 mobs attacking you? Leechstorm. That's about it as far as usefulness of this aa goes. What I think needs to happen is that leechstorm be changed to something that further increases the necros ability to do what they already do, which leads me to a few suggestions:

1.) Mana conversion. Necros are the kings of mana regeneration, but at a cost, for every point of mana comes a point of damage. The aa could be changed to:

Lichking

+135 mana, -300 hp per tick, lasts for 6 ticks. Stacks with all Lich Lines

2.) DoT damage. Necros are also the kings of DoT damage. Since it would not be possible to have an ultimate blast for DoT's that is passive, perhaps an active AA that can help with burst dps in certain spots, say something like:

Destructive Force of Marlow

Increase DoT spell damage by 25% for 3 ticks, drain 1500 life from necro.

3.) Lifetaps. Necros get the best lifetaps, both in DD and DoT form. How about something like this:

Mortal Knowledge

All lifetap spells do 10% more damage and heal for 20% more, lasts for 4 minutes.

Lichking- I think criticisms of such an AA being to similar to canni were generally agreed on before.

DFoM- I would welcome that AA, having very little burst makes me sadface, however necros really aren't supposed to get crap for burst damage I think

Mortal Knowledge- I would welcome that AA on a Shadowknight lolz

This thread sure lost steam quickly.

I suppose necroz are fine as is, seeing that 2 threads got blatantly ignored. Too bad the only official word we have is a request :toot:

The real problem is that, while no one seems to like leechstorm as is, whenever this thread comes up, no real consensus on how to fix the problem ever comes up. Everyone seems to have their own ideas on what would be nice change, but no one can agree on one that works and is, on paper at least, balanced.

We're tossing ideas. We can say whatever we want about balance it's not the player who decides what the balance is. What is now needed is the staff looking at it and say "this could work ; this should not, it's not intended that way whatsoever" "this is fine as it is".
Hey we know that it has to be a fixed timer, but maybe it has to remain a PBAE too ? no clue :tinfoil:
In this case, there is one simple thing to do :
- enable this spell to scale with vampiric lore/DI/magic focus/tomes.

If not / not possible, take into consideration the ideas mentioned :
- pet AA a la Magician. No idea here how the staff sees the necromancer's mastery over his pet compared to mage's.
- fat dot increment a la wizard (I smell it's not happening but that's just me)
- Sacrifice for benefit type like Zorlaft mentioned
- Demonic Summon (doubt about it too, it makes double with swarmpet)
- Undead AA pbae - cool idea , I said I'm fully in, but it seems to be unpopular due to being too situational - and again I request that it scales with bane enhancement etc..
- Group mana tap why not (it's already a spell though)

Now if no one has the time to consider these ideas let just forget about it what can I say.

Reanimating Minion

an AA that allows your pet to save death or automatically respawns your pet for a certain duration, say 4-6 ticks? There have been may raids with AE mobs that just decimate my pet on the AE alone.

Back
Top Bottom