Laptop Purchase Suggestions

Daffie

Dalayan Pious Diety
So, I happen to be out of the country visiting Panama and my 8 year old dell insperon e1505 workhorse laptop starts acting up. Mainly, the main board battery shits out and it takes the newish SSD with it. Maybe a power surge got it... Regardless, it pushed me over the edge and maybe it is finally time to throw down some cash for an upgrade. (Current laptop can't take advantage of the fastest wireless speeds, runs hot when put under load due to poor ventilation, and is sadly ram maxed.)

I got some huge mileage out of my inspiron and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I pull the trigger on a new Dell inspiron 17 inch 7000 series for like $1500.

My usage will be SoD, work (office, T-SQL management studio, visual studios, etc.), net surfing, and maybe some light move watching.

Thanks for any insight provided!

i have a mac book pro . if you like hipster bitches i would recommend one.

I can recommend NOT getting one...

Lenovo T540. I have never hated a laptop more. If you can still get a 530, they were awesome, the 540 is the Windows 8 of the Lenovo line.

Be VERY careful with Lenovos and try to get the old style ThinkPad versions. They cheaped out on the hinges on the less expensive ones and it shows. The thinkpad I have right now (also a t530) is built solidly and works for what I need it to do. I would definitely check out the Lenovos before blowing $1500 on a Dell, I spent about $750-800 on my t530 and it'll do what you need no problem.

I'll check them out for sure. I'm medium on the build quality of Lenovos and I have one that I gave to my secretary. I can't remember the model though, but I'll check.
The only reason I was thinking dell is because if the build quality + performance and the customer support.

I can recommend NOT getting one...

Lenovo T540. I have never hated a laptop more. If you can still get a 530, they were awesome, the 540 is the Windows 8 of the Lenovo line.

Sounds like you hate Win8? If so, check this out.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5713-startisback.html

Startisback

Just google it for more info. Cheers

EDIT:

I think you have to get licenses for it...or a license, but 3 or 5$ is worth it. It makes Win8 just like Win7 so to speak.

I think he means consumer-grade build. The parts inside are fine but I've heard the shells are definitely a lot worse. The business class laptops tend to have sturdier hinges since they expect to take a lot more abuse from flights and other things. I didn't really think about it since I made a point of making sure the build was the old IBM style instead of the Lenovo one. Nobody got fired for buying IBM.

I'll be running windows 7 until next year when 10 releases (maybe...) I don't mind getting a touch screen for shits and giggles, but I compute way to fast for a touch screens laptop to be anything more than a toy.

I think he means consumer-grade build. The parts inside are fine but I've heard the shells are definitely a lot worse. The business class laptops tend to have sturdier hinges since they expect to take a lot more abuse from flights and other things. I didn't really think about it since I made a point of making sure the build was the old IBM style instead of the Lenovo one. Nobody got fired for buying IBM.

That. The business class laptops are infinitely better.

i recommend an MSI

I bought an MSI GT70 about 2 years ago and it still rocks games on high-ultra.

Last edited:
I'll be running windows 7 until next year when 10 releases (maybe...) I don't mind getting a touch screen for shits and giggles, but I compute way to fast for a touch screens laptop to be anything more than a toy.

You'd be surprised.

I find myself reaching up from having both hands on the keyboard and tapping something on the screen a lot more often than you'd think. It's faster and more convenient than using the mouse.

I even do it on my home desktop by accident all the time, and that's not even a touchscreen. It's just one of those things you don't think you'd like until you get it.

You'd be surprised.

I find myself reaching up from having both hands on the keyboard and tapping something on the screen a lot more often than you'd think. It's faster and more convenient than using the mouse.

I even do it on my home desktop by accident all the time, and that's not even a touchscreen. It's just one of those things you don't think you'd like until you get it.

Maybe I'll try it.

Thanks for all the info. After all the research, I went with a Dell XPS 15 9530. I am pretty happy with it, and the display is bad ass (3200 x 1800 reso on a laptop...) I'm going to replace the 32 gig SSD with a 256gig SSD I have in my old laptop, and leave the 1 tb platter in for storage. My only complaints are that windows 8.1 kind of sucks compaired to windows 7, and that the keyboard doesn't have a num pad.

Anyway, thanks again!

USB numpads are pretty cheap and a good alternative if you have the desk space for it.

8.1 sucks I concur. I think there's a mod that makes it similar to XP or 7 or whatever, I never took the time to look.

USB numpads are pretty cheap and a good alternative if you have the desk space for it.

8.1 sucks I concur. I think there's a mod that makes it similar to XP or 7 or whatever, I never took the time to look.

Yeah, the more I use windows 8, the more I am hating it. They don't have drivers for the XPS 15s for windows 7... I might have to suck it up and wait until the windows 10 upgrade...

Back
Top Bottom