Knockback bugs: Temporarily remove knockback from the game

Woot

Dalayan Adventurer
Knockback as a mechanic as far as I have known it in this game is extremely buggy and has been responsible for a lot of issues involving getting pushed/summoned through the world through my time playing. This is a plea to remove all knockbacks from the game until the bugs associated with them can be fixed.

Knockback issues:
1- A mob has a knockback effect that pushes you through a wall / through the floor and now you find yourself stuck in the void either inside a wall or falling to infinity under the map. /rewind mitigates this problem, but there are plenty of times that /rewind doesn't bring you back and you're just stuck.
2- A player has a knockback effect that pushes a mob through a wall / through the floor and now you and your party no longer have line of sight on the mob and have to try to reposition it to get it to come out of the wall.
3- A player has a knockback effect that pushes a mob through a wall / through the floor and the mob summons you, putting you inside the wall / through the floor.

I can think of at least 1 raid fight that knockback makes extremely difficult due to the buggy nature of knockback knocking a good percentage of your raid deep into the walls even with diligent use of /rewind. The Murkwater in The Abyss is a prime example of this. I've also seen plenty of wipes due to people getting summoned into a wall / through the world after a mob gets knocked into the void.

In a game where knockback remains extremely buggy causing a relatively high potential to be stuck in the wall / falling through the world in the right (wrong) ground / wall setup -- why is it such a prevalent mechanic? The benefit of having knockback in the game vs. the detriment of it causing through-the-world bugs just isn't worth it and causes a lot more frustration due to bugs than fun due to the mechanics of knockback. I suggest removing all knockback effects from the game entirely as a method to fix these issues until knockbacks no longer consistently push people / mobs through the world.

Knockback issues occur during the initial pulls in Tur'ruj as well.

I have been stuck in the floor many times.

Last edited:
I support this 100% as a long time player who has ran 5+ alts through heartland undercaverns which is an absolutely AIDS experience due largely to the needless robot knockback.

Cleanse this server of knockback mechanics and better times will be had by all.

If I recall the knockback issues really started after one of the big version number patches. 2.0 or 2.5 not sure which anymore. other places I have seen the knocked under the world outcome include windstone and Junkbeast(level 15 adept). there may be others I am forgetting.

Knock back is a client side thing. What is supposed to happen is the server sends all the knock back info to the client and it takes care of it. It must have been that during the 2.5 or whatever rework that it was easier to just make a custom thing. Jumbers spent a long time working on fixing this and ultimately it did more than was known. The packet is the “actionpacket”. It apparently also carried the information for poison counters appearing on debuffs and also telling the client to do shadow step or become blind. It unfortunately was reverted. This would be a nice thing to re-add.

Knock back is a client side thing. What is supposed to happen is the server sends all the knock back info to the client and it takes care of it. It must have been that during the 2.5 or whatever rework that it was easier to just make a custom thing. Jumbers spent a long time working on fixing this and ultimately it did more than was known. The packet is the “actionpacket”. It apparently also carried the information for poison counters appearing on debuffs and also telling the client to do shadow step or become blind. It unfortunately was reverted. This would be a nice thing to re-add.
I actually like the knockback feature on mobs that It will land on and I often move my character back several units of distance within the server tick as it casts so that I do not need to move my Paladin after the stun throws the mobs. (Basically when properly timed, the mobs will stay in range on your main target, but the mobs near you would potentially be spread out based on the casting position vs the mobs postition.)

I am not sure of the pbaoe range of dps caster classes, but It seems that the knockback isn't too excessive.

My only wish is that PBAoE's were not limited to 6 targets here.

@Dev-Cole, my only experience with PBAoE farming and stunlocks via enchanter comes from classical eq, not a customized environment like this game. Why are toons here limited on the amounts of mobs they can hit at once via spells or weapons? Is there a "Stunlock" exp scene here. or was there in the past the made things the way they are now? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom