Knight Class / 2hander / stance discussion (broken out of gemstone thread)

2h tanking is not intentional, nor should it be (fully) functional. From my understanding, the current bash mechanic is doing decent dps as it is for a knight.
this is a little disheartening to hear and hopefully something the dev team reconsiders. as far as im aware, this is an issue specific to paladins given the nature of their threat generation. the other tanks aren't hamstrung nearly as bad in their threat generation when using a 2hander. using a 2h over 1h+shield is already a massive defensive loss. having the option to play more offensive gear choices at the cost of mitigation / healing is one of the more gratifying parts of progressing a tank (or healer for that matter), particularly when doing content outside of raids. In SoD, this has typically manifested itself in the form of knights using 2h.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue paladins should be tanking raid bosses with a 2hander in, but having the option to use a 2hander to add extra dps without neutering threat generation while doing non-raid content that you outgear would make the game more enjoyable for a lot of players.

tanking raid bosses with a 2hander was fun, so was finishing all my exp on 3 of my toons while my character did literal triple the dmg he does now.

not much you can do about it besides try to forget history, and ya know not logging on.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue paladins should be tanking raid bosses with a 2hander in
You know before the patch, I actually used to tank raid bosses with a 2 hander. It was called Jyre. I was so excited when I finally obtained this legendary weapon, now it sits and collects dust; but perhaps Jyre can be made useful for a Paladin again somehow?

Since Paladin can no longer benefit from the "Tank sword" perhaps a combine recipe could be added into a forge that converts it into a shield of appropriate tier and power with a Group heal Bash proc that Paladins could further enhance while in conduit mode? For example 40% proc chance of Superior Circle of Healing and a recourse that casts a mana whisper stack like 'history of the illiterate.' Our group regen is already a 780 mana cost as it is.
From my understanding, the current bash mechanic is doing decent dps as it is for a knight.
This is still a huge nerf on lesser content, as we no longer benefit from riposting frontal targets with a higher damage 2 hander... Bash simply hits one target.

Althuna’s Conduit healing. The latter two are designed around scenarios where a Paladin is not tanking
If we are meant to be healers when not tanking, which I do rather often in raids can we get Althuna's Conduit changed into a permanent buff? I'd still have to click it off to do any damage or recast it every time I die in a raid. It would be nice to not have to recast it every 15 minutes when in an exp group if I am using that healer role? Leave the 30 second cast time, just make the buff actually usable outside of a single boss encounter if i didn't die on the fight.

A final note:

We spend lots of time growing our characters and the things that we have worked on (i.e. Jyre) just get discarded. This tends to sour the player base.
Consulting with the people who actually play the classes that are radically changed might be a good idea from a PR perspective. The player's arent sitting at a desk theory-crafting items, we are actually out there using them. Why not work together with us?

Thanks.

Romulox

If we are meant to be healers when not tanking, which I do rather often in raids can we get Althuna's Conduit changed into a permanent buff? I'd still have to click it off to do any damage or recast it every time I die in a raid. It would be nice to not have to recast it every 15 minutes when in an exp group if I am using that healer role? Leave the 30 second cast time, just make the buff actually usable outside of a single boss encounter if i didn't die on the fight.

Romulox
Can't say how many times I've also overwrote conduit with RBoW too. Theres some serious stacking, mana cost, and general usability issues that Paladins have to suffer through to fulfill their hybrid roles that other classes just do not have to deal with.

I have RBOW permablocked just in case; would be nice if conduit didn't get overwritten by every other proc buff. Very strange that it does considering how it's used, and very unfun if you don't make sure to block RBOW especially considering the mana cost and casting time. The mana cost and casting time also doesn't really feel very fun to manage especially in less than an 18 man raid where the mana cost is enforced. I'm not sure what game breaking gameplay is trying to be mitigated by having an extremely long casting time and large mana cost to deal with every 15-20 minutes. Seems like not a big deal to just reduce that and make it a less awful experience.

Also since paladin DPS has become pretty abysmal now, may be worth another look at the attack speed debuff's relevance on conduit. Conduit makes paladins an ok backup healer, not comparable healing to a clr/dru, but possibly almost comparable healing to a shm. Paladins however do far less DPS in conduit than any of these, especially now that their DPS is pretty weak even without the atk speed debuff. Strange to have to do the DPS of a druid pet or less to be able to act as a pseudo healer.

Back
Top Bottom