Item Deletion Idea

BlackHeart

Dalayan Adventurer
So I was reading a post in happyland about Grupo item deletion and had an idea.

It's probably a bad one, or it can't be done in code but thought I would throw it out there so people can make fun of me anyway...

Would there be a way that you could take an item to an NPC and have it flagged like some quest items to require deletion only in a trash can?

Say, I took my charm, gave it to Brinks the NPC and he charged me a fee to do his "Protection" magic on my charm. From then on I couldn't delete the charm. Would have to take it to a trashcan to get rid of it, or take it back to Brinks the NPC to "Un-Protect" it before I could do anything with it.

IMO it would save some headaches. How many of us have accidently deleted something? I have a few times.

I dunno, maybe it would never be used. By anyone but me anyway.

He could set a deleting password like guest lock? But that's the whole idea of guest lock anyway.....

What would stop the person trying to delete items from just walking up to a trashcan?

I think its so you can't delete your own items by accident when you are destroying shit like a monkey on meth at the end of a long session.

I think its so you can't delete your own items by accident when you are destroying shit like a monkey on meth at the end of a long session.

Exactly... Basically just a layer of protection that you can pay for to protect yourself from your own putzness. Kinda like drivers who pay for full coverage insurance.

People should REALLY use guestlock, but I think it's pretty insensitive to say "no reimbursements EVER." Yes it is there for a reason, but when someone's gear gets maliciously deleted it is effectively removing not just the douchebag but also the player. If all my gear was deleted I would probably just quit tbh. There's so much time and effort put into a player's character that most people would feel extremely discouraged from starting over. You can say that's the incentive to use guestlock, but 'start over or quit' are both pretty harsh options.

To keep the incentive in line with using guestlock rather than relying on a GM/Admin to reimburse your stuff, make it a rollback service with a charge. This makes people still want to use guestlock, but in those rare circumstances where someone is negligent enough to not use it they aren't completely screwed. Make it a process where you submit your request for a character rollback and $50 dollars cash towards the server funds (similar to the character account moving service). With that charge, people will still really want to use guestlock to protect themselves, but those negligent players that really don't want to just start over or quit can have an option to get their stuff back.

GMs have internal policies on what and when we can reimburse. If you delete or otherwise lose an item or platinum you can ALWAYS petition and we will try to help you if we can. The more proof you can bring to the table (screenshots, witnesses, etc) when asked, the better. Petition as soon as you realize an item is gone. And when you petition, include the actual names of any items lost. All of these things will make the experience go a lot easier for all parties.

If we can't help you, you can ALWAYS send an email to the GM Admin on appeal - it certainly won't hurt our feelings and we may even encourage you to do so. That said, you do have to go -through- a GM before you speak to an admin. That is covered in the contacting staff thread though.

A coding solution like what is being suggested in this thread might be possible. I doubt Zaela would want to work on it after the way people acted in OOC last night about guestlock, though I can't speak for the other devs (or for zae really but just saying I wouldn't blame her.)

All that said, slow your roll and pay attention to what you are clicking/saying/doing ingame, because if you make a mess you'll often have to clean it up yourself.

I have delete confirmation on but a problem can occur when you are mass killing for plat and you are trying to mass delete the crap off corpses so that they disappear and you can target corpses underneath.

It is possible for you to accidentally pick up one of your own items and delete it without realising when you are rushing.

I would go further and suggest making all no-drop loots be deleted in a trash can would solve 99% of accidental deletions and would strongly support the idea.

Would also support the idea of roll-back fee but possibly a mor emodest one say $10

This is a free game and charging any sort of "fees" would end very badly

The reason I suggested it be a fee is to reinforce the incentive to use guestlock. The staff is very adamant in supporting the effort that went into coding guestlock, and I can support that. With the fee set high at 50 bucks, you will still REALLY want to use guestlock to protect yourself, but in that rare occurrence where someone screws up they still have hope for continuing play. It wouldn't be the go-to option for protecting yourself from item deletion, but it'd be nice to have a last resort before start over or quit.

I understand the need to have a penalty for bad behavior so that people will learn to protect themselves, but "start over or quit" isn't going to teach them anything if they just quit (which most people would). I think logging in and finding your character butt naked is enough to shock most people into learning from their mistake. Besides, it'd take a few days to get reimbursed even if it was available. If they're anywhere near as addicted to SoD as I am those few days will feel like torture.

Also, there's already pseudo-fees in place, like how you're required to donate before they will grant you a character transfer.

Last edited:
More on topic, item deletion is fine as it is. Don't be bad and pay attention to what you're deleting. In the off chance you do accidently delete something you can petition. There is no need for further safeguards.

Requiring ALL no drop items to be deleted in a trash can would be annoying. Please no.

Like Drizz said, /hidecorpse looted (I never knew about that, tbh!) is much easier.

The thread title is "Item Deletion Idea", not "Accidental Item Deletion Idea", and then the first thing the OP brings up is the Grupo incident... The idea he posts is a lot more relevant to accidental deletion, but the fact that his opening statement is about the Grupo thing makes my post pretty relevant IMO. Also, since when are we deleting non offensive/attack/troll posts because maybe they are not perfectly on topic? I see far more off topic posts allowed multiple times every day.

Back
Top Bottom