Icetooth

Minerios

Dalayan Adventurer
Hello!

Finna McThompson is a NPC that spawns at night near the lake in Halas. She tells a story about how a killer fish once caused her to lose her fishing pole and wedding band in the lake, and asks for your help in killing the fish.

The journal entry states that Icetooth spawns "late at night" in Lake Halas. I ran into him once when my wee lil beastlord was too low level to kill him, but since then, I've had no luck. Talking again to Finna does nothing. Today, I patrolled the lake every hour from 10pm to 5am, to no avail. I checked deep water and shallow water, the middle of the lake as well as the areas closer to the city and to the tunnel to Everfrost, I punched a fish and hailed the lake spring... I'm at a loss. Help? Please?

Sounds like a great story. I can't help but that's really cool. Punching a fish never hurts ...you should do it more often. Reminds me of the CoI quest to save the one gnome that runs off and you have to protect him or keep him from running too far or he will get attacked and die. If he dies, you have NO way to get him to respawn for you. EVER!

Sounds like a great story. I can't help but that's really cool. Punching a fish never hurts ...you should do it more often. Reminds me of the CoI quest to save the one gnome that runs off and you have to protect him or keep him from running too far or he will get attacked and die. If he dies, you have NO way to get him to respawn for you. EVER!
he's a hardcore npc.

Well, I went back with another character who hadn't accepted the quest yet. The dialogue states Icetooth comes out "rarely", so I suppose that means he doesn't spawn every night. Which is a bummer, as Halas isn't a place my little barbarian will visit often once she grows up a little... Oh well, gonna keep an eye out for it.

Icetooth is a semi rare spawn. It is not every night, but it should be close to it, just possibly not for the entire night.

I've started keeping track of the time I spend looking for that fish... I realize I've probably outgrown the reward for the quest, but I want to see it done.

Here's the list of the days/hours I've looked for it, both with a tracker and by jumping in the lake and swimming around:

june 10 2am, 3am, 4am, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm
june 11 12am, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am
june 13, 5am, 10pm, 11pm
june 14,12am, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am
june 17, 5am, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm
june 18, 12am, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am
june 24, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm
june 25, 12am, 1am, 2am
june 27, 4am, 5am

Meh.

One thing I haven't done though is decimate the fish population during the night. I understood that mob spawns and despawns on its own, without a placeholder. If he has a placeholder... then I've wasted my time, and that makes me sad(der).

I have no personal experience with this quest, but the fish probably does not correspond to real-life days and hours but to in-game days and hours. So I'd be checking every game hour (every 18mins iirc) on a tracker. Particularly at nightfall and midnight, etc.

I have no personal experience with this quest, but the fish probably does not correspond to real-life days and hours but to in-game days and hours. So I'd be checking every game hour (every 18mins iirc) on a tracker. Particularly at nightfall and midnight, etc.
I'm pretty sure those were ingame times that he posted.

I just rechecked this.

He is spawns nearly every night. The check is a roll between 0-100 being more than 15 and he stays spawned until daybreak or killed.

Newbie quest leaks.

Is something like another npc killing him when he spawns happening? Not seeing him at all in 9 nights would be extremely extremely rare. Or I guess he could be looking in the wrong place or something idk.

Is something like another npc killing him when he spawns happening? Not seeing him at all in 9 nights would be extremely extremely rare. Or I guess he could be looking in the wrong place or something idk.
No, I can't be looking in the wrong place, I ran into Icetooth once when my Beastlord was too low to kill it, so I know where he spawns. (ETA: and there is nothing else in that lake that could kill it.)

I guess I've just been extremely unlucky, or I'm competing with ninjas (a surprisingly likely scenario).

Thanks a bunch for looking into it, Waldoff, it's much appreciated.

ETA: I know next to nothing about coding, but could it be that a typo makes it so that Icetooth spawns only when the roll is under 15 instead of over 15? I've run into another player who has been looking for the fishy for a while, without any luck.

Last edited:
Soooooooo... I hate to obsess over a newbie quest, but I can't shake the feeling Mr. Icetooth isn't coming out to play specifically to spite me. At this point, the quest reward is better be AT LEAST 5pp, else I'll feel like I've wasted my time.

Since my last post, I've looked for Icetooth both on track and by swimming all over Lake Halas at the following times:

June 28, from midnight to 3am
July 1, from 8pm to 11pm
July 2, from 12am to 3am, then from 8pm to 11pm
July 3, from 12am to 2am, and from 9pm to 10pm
July 5, at 4 am and then at 11pm
July 6, from 12am to 5am

I have also sent tells to people I've seen running out of Halas to ask if they'd killed a fish on their way out.

A few possibilities:
  • The aforementionned ninjas
  • Icetooth spawns after 4am (since I often give up at around 3am)
  • I'm freakishly unlucky (in addition to my other problems)
  • Icetooth spawns regularly, but is killed by another NPC (unlikely, there are no guards near the lake)
  • Icetooth spawns regularly, but under the world or in some other random place
  • The spawn is broken (sorry Waldoff)

JOY TO THE WORLD!

I have found Icetooth.

He was up at 6pm.

So that means he spawns at the wrong time (maybe 12pm instead of the intended 12am?).

ETA: I have updated the wiki (to the best of my feeble ability) with all the info I had on the quest, including the reward. Note that I also spotted Icetooth *again* today, this time at 9PM game time (not in the same game day as when I saw it first, mind you). Weird.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom