How To Setup Shards of Dalaya (Fresh Install)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xardon

Dalayan Beginner
For those having a hard time understanding how to set up SoD on a new machine ...

For forum filtering purposes please note that:
"Game" = E Q
"the Game" = E V E R Q U E S T

1. To make the install process much smoother the first recommended step is to verify you have the Microsoft .Net Framework properly installed on your computer. To download and install the .Net Framework CLICK HERE. When the webpage opens, click on the DOWNLOAD button. Save the file to your computer and execute it when it has finished downloading. You may have to reboot your computer when this is finished to complete the install. When this step is completed, proceed to step 2.

2. Insert your Original Game CD in to your CD-ROM drive, and install the game with the default installation options. The Default options will be assumed with the rest of the setup guide with screenshots. It is also assumed you will be using the default Windows XP built in .zip file/utility. The same steps will work using Winzip or Winrar as well, though the screen will look slightly different. When the installation from your Original Game CD's is completed, proceed to the next step.

3. Double click on the "the Game" icon on your desktop to start the Original Game Patcher program. When the patcher starts click the Cancel button. When the the cancel completes click on the Advanced button. (see image below)

1.jpg

4. When the advanced options page is open, check off all of the appropriate boxes as show in the image below (Original through Gates of Discord, including Optional Zones), and then click the Complete File Check button. If your download does not start right away, click Save, and then select Download. This process can take SEVERAL hours to complete, be patient and wait for this to finish.

2.jpg

5. When the Game Live Patcher has completed, open your web browser and navigate to the SoD website (http://www.shardsofdalaya.com) and click on the Files link on the left (see image below). Then click on the SoD Patcher link, this will prompt you to download/open the .zip file. Select the open with option and then click the OK button.

3.jpg

6. When the file is done downloading and opens, click the edit button on the toolbar at the top, and click Select All. This will ensure you unzip both files. (see image below)

4.jpg

7. Then click the edit button on the toolbar again, and click Copy To Folder... (see image below)

5.jpg

8. This will then prompt you to browse to your Game installation folder, which is where we want to save these files. If you used the default installation directory, follow the image below. Make sure you click on the the Game folder so it is highlighted and then click the Copy button.

6.jpg

9. When this is completed you may close out of the .zip window and then browse to your Game Installation folder. Find the file that you just unzipped named "sodpatcher.exe" and DOUBLE click on the file to open it. (see image below)

7.jpg

10. The first time you run this program it will prompt you to locate your Game Installation directory. Follow the same process as you did when you unzipped the SoD files to your Game Installation directory, making sure the the Game folder is highlighted and click the OK button. (see image below)

8.jpg

11. Now you will see the SoD patcher program splash screen. You will need to run this each time you log on to Shards of Dalaya so you can ensure you have the most up to date patch files. Click the Patch and Run button to begin the SoD patch download. (see image below)

9.jpg

12. When the SoD Patcher has completed it will then bring you to the EQWindows start screen. Here you want to make sure that the Executable to Launch line is pointing to the correct location AND eqgame.exe file, see image below. Also make sure that the Run Patch Program AND Play on Test Server are UNCHECKED, and your Fix eqclient.ini IS CHECKED. Then click the Start Game button and you're properly configured to connect to the SoD server.

10.jpg

To review the rules of the server follow the link off the main page or click:
http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/?page=rules

To review the SoD starters guide click on the Register link on the right hand side of the website or click:
http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/?page=startguide

To create a new account to play on SoD follow the Register link on the right hand side of the website or click:
http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/?page=register

aplpie said:
uh thanks.. but isnt this game free??i didnt no that u needed a cd :psyduck:

Xardon said:
2. Insert your Original Game CD in to your CD-ROM drive, and install the game with the default installation options.

Yes you need to purchase the game itself first, just like you have to for any other computer game on the planet. If you want to play free games, go to games.yahoo.com

I have followed this guide to the letter. I can get to the username/password screen, i can input the user/pass, but when i click connect, the window closes and ends. There is no error message or anything. It just stops. I even turned off my firewall altogether as if that were the cause of the problem. I *just* completed my 2nd fresh install from the Platinum Edition. I started w/ the patcher... i check fix the eqclient file. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Other posts I've read in the forum all involve crash messages; I tried their solutions anyway b/c the problem sounded familiar but to no avail.

sodrpg0 said:
I have followed this guide to the letter. I can get to the username/password screen, i can input the user/pass, but when i click connect, the window closes and ends.  There is no error message or anything.  It just stops.  I even turned off my firewall altogether as if that were the cause of the problem.  I *just* completed my 2nd fresh install from the Platinum Edition.  I started w/ the patcher... i check fix the eqclient file.   Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?  Other posts I've read in the forum all involve crash messages; I tried their solutions anyway b/c the problem sounded familiar but to no avail. 

Please start a new thread for your issue. Locate the file "dbg.txt" in your SoD directory, delete this file. Try loading up the game again until it crashes. In your new post copy the error message in the newly created "dbg.txt" file. Also refer to the following thread when posting your problem please:

http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/forum/index.php?topic=8047.0

Regarding the "Buy a CD" thing, you "should" be able to download EQ during one of the free trial periods and use that, although it doesn't include expansions. I myself am trying to get it running right now so perhaps I am wrong about this.

ThirdI said:
Regarding the "Buy a CD" thing, you "should" be able to download Game during one of the free trial periods and use that, although it doesn't include expansions. I myself am trying to get it running right now so perhaps I am wrong about this.

That is not really the point. Yes, you CAN download it during the free trial, but they offer that with the notion that you will be paying their monthly fee.  You will not be contributing to this by playing SoD. We do not encourage downloading the game at all.

Hi...i have a problem, when i launch the SoD patcher it's stuck at "getting Patch list"...so i can't download the patch and so i can't join the server...
Please help me!! :psyduck: :(

when ever i try to log on it says that i need an account with EQ and i need to pay for it anyone know why that is?

Do you have "Run Patch Program" checked on the EQW beta 2.35a window? That will patch you to live and if you keep it checked after initially doing so, it will continue to connect you to live vs SoD's servers.

Hello, my first post, no char yet!

1. Will there be less patching required if I install all the expansions, as in less data to be downloaded?
2. Can I use the Luclin models if I only install and patch the original (as in the very first) CD?

Thanks!

Welcome to the server. :)

Lmaonade said:
1. Will there be less patching required if I install all the expansions, as in less data to be downloaded?

Yes (You only need up to GoD).

Lmaonade said:
2. Can I use the Luclin models if I only install and patch the original (as in the very first) CD?

Thanks!

You HAVE to patch up to and including GoD, but can do so only with the original CD.

Hi!, my first post, no char yet!
Every time i go to patch through the SOD it gets stuck on Patching: generalcommands.html
Anyone know why this would happen?

First I'd try turning off Norton antivirus (assuming you already turned off your firewall). This is usually the #1 fix for this issue.

If that doesn't work, some other things you can try are deleting the generalcommands.html file, redirecting the files to your "game" folder, and then running the SoD patcher and repatching all.

Last option is just downloading the patch files via the main site and inserting them to your "game" folder manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom