Hello !

Venexia

Dalayan Beginner
Greetings to everyone here :) The first thing I wanted to do is introduce myself, although this thread is not going to be near as cool as that of Conquistador's!

Here's a bit of my background;
- aussie
- EQ was my first MMO (since launch), though I stopped playing it right before Kunark came out as I decided to focus on my life goals (career, etc)
- played many other MMOs since then, but nothing holds my attention or captures my imagination as EQ1 did all those years ago (and frankly, I'm burned out on treadmill themepark MMOs)
- every now and then I go back and play on P1999 but I find that the low population during offpeak makes grouping difficult, and that the community isn't exactly the best

Anyway, so I stumbled upon this place whilst browsing the EQN reddit. But to be honest, I still don't know exactly what Shards of Dalaya is... :) Is it EQ1 with a bit of a different rule set or a vastly different game? Is it group focused like EQ1 or a bit more solo friendly? Any particular threads or anything I can read? (edit- I'm slowly reading through the wiki!) What is the population like during aussie night time (so I'm assuming server off peak time)? How many questions can I ask in an introduction thread?

Thanks all :) Once I reinstall EQ, connect to the server and create a character I'll post up my player name.

Last edited:
Shards of Dalaya is basically a completely new game using EQ1 resources.
Custom zone names, factions, quests, raid content, style system, etc. Appearance is all you will really find in common with EQ1. Everything under the surface is kind of like a shiny new game.

Thank you Vitali, that's what it was coming across as from the Wiki, just thought I'll ask the question to make sure I wasn't wrong.

To be honest, I find that almost... discomforting. Not because it's a bad thing, but because a lot of what I know about EQ is no longer applicable! Looking forward to seeing what it's like :)

Differences between Live and SoD from the wiki is your best friend for a quick reference to how basic differences are in Dalaya. Welcome aboard, and don't forget to try and set up an entertaining 2-box, it will really come in handy in the long run and make it easier to get things done if there aren't any groups to be had in your level range atm.

Generally you should be able to find groups, but at lower levels some days it is easier then others. Having a 2nd account to also play on to help you out makes everything so much easier.

welcome!

Grouping during Aussie times will be a bit more difficult, but the account drive bonus weeks should really help with that. We used to have a much bigger Aussie kiwi contingent, and I would love to build that back up again.

Thanks for the replies all.
Haruto; I've been looking at that section of the wiki, the changes are massive.

I've never actually 2 boxed before... I'm assuming I'll need two separate computers or at the very least two monitors (one for each EQ instance)? Are there any guides that you can point me in the direction of?

You can easily manage 2 boxing on 1 screen with 1 comp, but its easier with 2 screens or 2 comps. Alt+Tab works but is problematic. Your EQW will have an eqw.ini where you can set a hotkey for a safe instant 1 key swap from 1 client to the other, and /follow is your friend.

Hello and welcome!!

Setting up the ` key for window switching in eqw ini file was a godsend.

So perhaps this is a silly question, but how can I set up a game account tied to this forum account? I was able to use register to create both a new forum account and game account, but yeah, I want to set up a game account for this forum account.

I quickly logged on last night and noticed only 40 people online, and safe to assume most of those would be 2 boxers :( Yay for being an aussie :(

When you registered you did not create a game account at the same time? Usually that is how it works. No one except staff will ever see your account name unless you give it out to them. They will only see your character names in game. So if you want a character name to match this forum name you can still do that, unless it is already taken. Maybe I am not understanding your intention though.

Nop, it didn't give me the option to do both, only the forum account. I used this link when I created my forum account... Unless there is on option elsewhere to create a game account with an existing forum account?

No - just go to the main page and register a new account. You can try for your forum user name if you like, although if you already have one account, its a little easier to just add a number to the end of it for the new one. Saves keystrokes down the line for when you fire up both instances of the game.

<--- lazy

Also numbers are good for later down the road when you make further alts and are smart enough to actually keep the alts on their own account so you can pick and choose what to box whenever you want to. Not doing that will hurt you later down the line when your setups are set in stone unless you get a transfer, which is a donater service.

Back
Top Bottom