Gemweave vs. Vah Newbie Quest Rewards

phroggonalog

Dalayan Master
Vah Town and Runnyeye are really cool zones! The questlines for the classes are also cool! I haven't gotten to the final step of any questline, but the weapon rewards look cool as well!

However!

As a non-vah, you have to do a fair amount of factioning (maybe 1-2 hours worth at level 25?) before the guildmaster will deign to send you on your quest; THEN, drops are not exactly common! Expect more hours of searching to get through steps 1-4, and also step 6

Here is the point that I'm getting to: there is nothing wrong in my opinion with a hard grind! The reward at the end makes it worth it...except, in the case of these class quests, I came across (not so rarely) pieces of the gemweave armor that drops off trash/in chests in the zone. While I wouldn't pretend that gemweave armor beats out the quest reward armor, I believe that there is too much similarity currently

Exhibit A:

Gemweave Tunic
item_538.png

[MAGIC ITEM] [BIND ON EQUIP] [PRISTINE]
Slot: CHEST
AC: 10 (11)
STR: +5 (6) CHA: +5 (6) HP: +15 (16) MANA: +15 (16)
SV FIRE: +3 (4)
WT: 0.1 Size: LARGE
Class: ALL
Race: ALL
Slot 1 type 2: empty

Exhibit B:

Hauberk of Duplicity, Coat of Animism, Tunic of Atavism, Coat of Martialism

This is also the case for other pieces of quest/gemweave armor

Maybe gemweave should be nerfed! Maybe Sash of Ethereal Energy Shouldn't have HI 3! Maybe everything should be bumped up! Maybe drops should be adjusted! IDK! As things stand though, I don't see these rewards reflecting the required effort, especially when comparable items drop off trash!

Last edited:
An across the board bump of newbie quest armor gear would be swell. With the relative ease of buying superior pieces of crafted or dropped gear all the crappy stats on newbie quest gear do is discourage people from doing those quests on alts and/or stick it to new players. I suppose it also encourages crafting, so maybe its an overall win.
Maybe turning them into evolving pieces, something your guild gives you to grow with you after proving yourself.

To be fair, backstab +5 is pretty solid.

Stat wise, should probalby make those quest rewards either expable, or boost their stats/hp a bit.

To be fair, backstab +5 is pretty solid.

Stat wise, should probalby make those quest rewards either expable, or boost their stats/hp a bit.

Yes, I did neglect to point out that the +5 BS is pretty solid (in my original post I said "nerf the rogue bp AND weapon!!! then decided this wasn't a good idea)

I want to reiterate that these quests are COOL! So are the zones!! The music in Vah Town is pretty A+

Just to comment on this, another quest line along these lines is the Wood elf Rogue armor questline.

It takes a ridiculous amount of time(maybe I was unlucky) investment to finish the entire suit, and it sucks. It's really bad. It's alot worse than the Vah stuff and probably took me a comparable amount of time on my rogue. And thats considering the first 2 parts of the vah martialism questline being terrible, and the treasure box one(one of the later ones). I think I had more fun grinding the rep than actually doing most of the quests.

Back
Top Bottom