Endsong Commands

babsa

Dalayan Beginner
I am relatively new to this game and i solo boxed my current main (bard) to level 39 thus far. One thing that sort of grinds my gears, is the very limiting and difficult detrimental song cycling. The beneficial songs cycling is really not an issue, but when it comes to detrimental song cycling... i get a lot of headaches. It would be truly amazing to have a command to end the last song played on your melody stack. As it stands now, when using enthrall (mez) on an additional target, my capabilities are severely diminished because of the 2 song cap that SoD has. If i don't refresh that enthrall to stick it first on the melody stack, that add will prematurely enter the fray. Having a command to end my last detrimental song played will allow me to reverse the cycle rather then kicking out the last song on my melody stack.

Is this possible? Would any other bards like to see this? Am i just coming across as whiny by complaining about these mechanics?

I think "/cm endsong" stops all songs. You may ask some of the more seasoned bards if they have suggestions/advice on how they managed at your level and how they manage the mechanics of 2 beneficial 2 detrimental.

I have. There is no work around the cycle. Think of the cycle as working clockwise, and i want a command that would essentially reverse clockwise the cycle... removing the most recently added song from the melody without having to cycle it out via an additional song.

For the most part when you are running mez you should avoid trying to add any other detrimental to the melody. Keep to the task at hand to avoid trouble and work other songs into your cycle after they are dispatched. Remember your cycle last 2 targets hotkey is your best friend as well. Keep on your timing and don't let up and you should keep it handled. Also duck is a good way to cancel songs that hit the buff bar especially. That is how I always cancel my song of travel.

Haruto, as an evidently seasoned bard, would you say that a command that ended the last played detrimental song would be a nice thing to have? Just saying that not having this command sorely limits what bards could be capable of. I fully understand how to work my mez spell, i am simply trying to get opinions on whether this would be something worth consideration.

I'm not that seasoned of a bard lol, it hasn't really come to bother me much honestly thus far. I generally have always just run my cycle and changed from song to song as needed. What does bother me is the beneficial songs being this way. Takes a little longer then you would like to get the right 2 songs playing for your group/party. Either way the way that would make the most sense is if you hit a running song, it would turn that song off, removing it from the melody. I'm sure there is some sort of a client limitation stopping this from happening though.

If your just trying to end a detrimental song without losing your bennies, just duck quickly. (hit "d" twice)

Is the problem that you want to stop mezzing the first target and mez the second? If so, just don't renew the mez on the first target and it will fade after the ticks wear off.

Also when you hit lv 40, another thing you can do that aids mezzing is /s 5, mez a target, then you can attack another, and as long as you don't try to do any pulsing songs, your first target will stay mezzed (unless of course it eventually resists it enough, but thats another story entirely)

I guess i haven't made myself clear: I wanted a command to end the last detrimental song played so that i can pick and choose which detrimental songs are going at the same time. As it stands, the way our melodies work is that we are limited in how well we can add and remove these songs from our melodies. An example would be if i could mez an add, then start a slow song, then if an additional add comes, i can simply use this command that i've been suggesting, and mez the new add. How it currently works, is that i would have to mez the first add again (to refresh it as the most current detrimental song), then mez the new add.

EDIT: In other words, i know how bard songs work, but i want to know if this /cmd endlastdetrimentalsong would be something that would make bards overpowered or if it is even a command that is possible to create.

This command is probably not possible, it would be a ton of effort for minimal gain. However, there is good news! The current system already supports what you want to do. There is a key thing you are missing about bard songs and the melody system. While you are limited to two beneficial songs total, the limit is two detrimental songs *per target* not two total.

So your example above is already quite possible with our current system. You can absolutely cast mez on one mob, slow on another and then mez a third. Using the single target slow line will give you a bit of extra time on the slow. Selo's Consonant Chain is five ticks instead of the normal three, and Requiem of Time (62) is ten ticks. The PBAoE slow is also a good choice, as you can slow up to six mobs without dropping your targets. This would be Largo's Melodic Binding and later Selo's Assonant Strane. This will keep your mezzed mobs slowed as well. Keep in mind that /s 5 is your best friend as well as setting a key near your spell keys to toggle last two targets. This can be done in the Options Menu, on the Keybinds tab.

If you have more than two mez targets you need to cycle through them in order by clicking rather than using the toggle target key. Make sure you click on the head of the NPC rather than the body. Do not use new model elementals as they are notoriously hard to select by clicking. One mez target in addition to the target you are killing is no sweat. As Anvyl pointed out, simply let your mez song continue without interruption and attack another target. If you wish, you can then sing up to two detrimentals on this second target before redoing the mez on your first. Two mez targets is easy also unless you are trying to stack another song like Occlusion to reduce resists. The maximum amount of songs you can sqeeze in before the first wears off is four, but this can vary based on when it lands. That is because the tick is server side, not client side. So your song can land anywhere in that cycle. So a maximum of three mez targets (or song casts) is safe.

Another thing that you might want to practice as soon as level 42 is chant kiting. Instead of swarm kiting, which doesn't work here, bards will use this method above to keep two dots running on two different mobs. You can round up a large group and just use target nearest to select your next two. Mez can help to break up the group, or snare, but be aware using snare will trigger summoning mobs to use that ability. All of these techniques will depend on your charisma and the mob's resist rate. A very handy AA you will get later is Jayla's Insight. This will allow you to check not only resists but also level on a mob. This information is important to other players and you can make use of it yourself so you know which mez to load and if your charm will land. Good luck!

edit: Here is a handy guide on the wiki to explain AE and chant kiting in more detail.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom