Encounter difficulty vs reward

The loot should be an indication of intended tier, but then again there's mobs like forest gloom that drop loot a tier or 2 higher than the fight difficulty, so WHO KNOWS

edit: forgot about queen of the fae, a t8-9 mob that drops the best bp in the entire game for 7 classes, and the best neck for all melees :<

Last edited:
I'm more curious about what 6 man content is actually *intended* for the t13-14 range. There is other raid content for us to focus on, but right now, it seems, 4.3 is still the highest tier 6man in the game, but that was beat ~2 years ago =[. I thought it was gonna be warden but the ring change indicates no.

6man used to be one of my favorite parts of this game, but there just has not been anything made higher than 4.3 tier to my knowledge (curator is a bigger gear check for sure, but the loot definitely isnt any better.

Last edited:
Do you as the dev who made this encounter, want the fight nerfed and the loot left alone, or the fight left alone and the loot buffed?

I read that as he wants the fight to be easier then it currently is.

I read that as he wants the fight to be easier then it currently is.

I read it as it could go both ways, and beyond that what he said to me in irc when i asked about this leads me to believe he'd like the encounter left alone, my guess is the loot before it was nerfed before we had got it represented the difficultly better then it does now.

what he said to me in irc when i asked about this leads me to believe he'd like the encounter left alone, my guess is the loot before it was nerfed before we had got it represented the difficultly better then it does now.

This is the feeling I get about a bunch of this high end stuff OG stuff. Maybe OG just isnt supposed to extend into T13 much, but having spent a bunch of time learning and eventually defeating fights that feel very much like T13 gear/difficulty, and seeing t11-12 loot I am pretty unmotivated to keep trying the remaining undefeated mobs. It would be great to just know the intended tier of content up front (maybe with JI?). In a high budget game you wouldnt need this because things would go in tested/balanced(and there would be clean, concise lore and geography indicating progression paths), but in SoD its really hard for a dev to balance complex fights to a specific loot tier.

Because of the nature of the game, most people don't like dealing with new/buggy/untested content that they dont even know if A)they will be capable or B)the loot will be their tier, so most content just gets ignored until its loot is on the wiki. If a T11 guild could say hey that new mob is supposed to be T11 maybe we should try it, I think they would be more likely to gather interest if people actually knew it was (supposed) to be beatable by their force and drop on-tier loot.

Last edited:
Normally, given that content is not often put into singular zones and is instead backed up by previous content, lore etc - publishing a tier does usually not matter much. In the cases where you are unsure, it may be best not to do brand new content if you are really worried or sensitive about things changing after the fact. Difficulty, loot, etc all is bound to change for the first few times an encounter is done.

Back
Top Bottom