Elitist Beer Thread

jules4099

Dalayan Elder
In many other posts, I have often stated that, for me, there are only 2 kinds of beer: hot and cold. And I've taken a fair amount of crap for that stance not only from a lot of you, but many of my friends as well. I still largely stand by that concept, but last night was the first decent argument I have seen of Swill Vs. Premium Beer.

My wife and I went to a watering hole downtown, one of those places that has a bagillion beers on tap (The Flying Saucer, if anyone has heard of it. I believe there are several throughout the midwest). I got to take the Pepsi challenge, and after scanning the monolithic list of beer available to me, lo and behold I have a favorite new beer: Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Oh my stars and garters was that tasty! I thought that any beer made by an organization named after a playable class MUST be decent, right? And a honorable mention to what we are calling "Hitlers Mustache". Since its some German name that I can't spell, much less pronounce, but I would be remiss if I did not bring it up.

So there you have it. I am still no beer elitist by any stretch of the imagination, but for the first time ever, something began to tip the needle in the other direction. Cheers!

Woot! congrats on discovering that AWESOME brewery! I first met Rogue while i was in Beijing this summer. i highly recommend Dead Guy Ale by Rogue - delicious tastyness, not overwhelming yet distinct flavor and smell, the smell in particular is very interesting.

Cheers!

PS wtb link to the watering hole's website so i can learn more beer alphabets

http://www.beerknurd.com/ is on the coaster that somehow made it home with me.

I tried the Dead Guy and the Hazelnut back to back. The Dead Guy was good, a bit heavier, but I preferred the other only slightly.

And after calling a friend to confirm, Hitler's Mustache = Hirter Morchl. Very good, and I will purchase it again. I remember thinking it would be good to eat a meal with.

We were on a pretty good bar crawl that night, and when we came to this particular joint, I remember the aforementioned friend telling me that if I ever came to this place, I needed to try Czar Imperial Stout. He also gave me a warning, saying "it's not for the faint of heart". Unfortunately they had none of that specific brew, but the pour man advised me that he had something that was pretty similar in taste and experience. Damn was it rough. The last thing I had to drink was a shot of Makers Mark from the last bar, and I swear it had gone down easier than this did. I told the guy he should not be serving hard liquor in a pilsner glass. He laughed.

Should try parabola if you get the chance. It's one of the better russian imperial stouts I've had, pretty nice chocolatey and malty flavor. Delicious.

Dragon's Milk Stout (except now they are calling it a dark ale) from New Holland Brewery is awesome, while we are talking about great craft brews. It is super heavy though. Should be able to find it if you are in the mid west.

If you are close enough to Wisconsin, I would suggest trying to get a hold of Lakefront Brewery's Pumpkin Ale (it quickly sold out in the Milwaukee area though) if you are able to. One of the best beers I've had.

This thread has been inactive for far too long.

Rogue is amazing, especially their double chocolate stout.

Dragon's Milk Stout is great, but Duck-Rabbit is my favorite.

luciferblack said:
Anything by Ommegang Brewery or Dogfish Head is good stuff. I also enjoy Southern Tier Brewing's IPA's and Pumking.

My parents and brother actually went to the Dogfish Head pub/restaurant next to the brewery for lunch while on a trip, and none of them ordered a beer, let alone the sampler. I almost disowned them when I heard this.

How americans even dare posting in a thread with the title Elitist Beer Thread is beyond me.

Because they have more stuff than Miller Light...
There are a bunch of micro breweries with high quality stuff.

I have been enjoying Keegan Ales Mother's Milk Stout quite a bit lately. There are also a couple awesome growler fill joints with lots of craft beer around, so I am obligated to give them all my money and take all their beer.

In fact, at one of these places, if your growler pour ends up short, your growler fill is free. And free beer is great. This has only happened to me twice. I would like for it to happen again. And again.

How americans even dare posting in a thread with the title Elitist Beer Thread is beyond me.

I'll have one for you now good buddy!!!

8HwX6.jpg

This is camouflage beer, so that when you are hunting, the deer don't see you have beer and take your beer away. It is also the pinnacle of shitty american beer, probably.

I still like Czech beers the most. Not only the variety is good, they're also extremely cheap, delicious and widely available there.

6.png

This one is a recent discovery and I love it. And I'm a fan of dark beer the most.

Back
Top Bottom