Do you think casters scale as well as melee?

Dpkronos

Dalayan Beginner
I'm sure that future itemization has all these factors considered but I was just wondering if there is ever going to come a point or if that point has already been reached where the base formulas used to balance the game can't keep up with the ever increasing power of equipment. Consider that melee classes have weapon slots and a haste slot to upgrade where casters usually have just one primary focus that affects the bulk of their damage. Also, many melee classes have % based AA's that affect their damage and survivability that keep scaling as you get better equipment. Additionally hybrid classes benefit from an even larger array of item effects.

I just hear the stories of highly geared hybrid tanks doing all kinds of crazy things and it makes me wonder.

Are the focus effects of all kinds powerful enough to scale evenly against the powerful melee equipment?

I don't really have enough information to have an opinion on the matter just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Please know that if there is an issue my intention is to simply bring attention to it and nothing more.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Imo, just chose the classes you'd really like to play. Well two classes that combo correctly, not like mage/mage for ex.

The differences you are looking at exist. The devs will never find the perfect balance, and if they had, I 'spose it would be well known. They are as close as possible to it, since they are willing to take the matter at hand when it gets too bad. It's enough for me.

Anyways:

a) Those differences will only happen at the very high end, when you reach tiers 8/9/10, maximize AAs and tomes. Even with lots of will and playtime, you aren't quite there. You have one to several years imo.

b) By the time you get to the very high end (if you ever do), things will probably have changed and it might even be the reverse to the actual situation.

c) Those differences are small, and only matter to the min maxers. Ok those few % do mean differences, but if you take a step back, it's only differences. If you have fun playing that class, a couple % won't change your life.

until better focus effects and more +magic/fire/cold/etc. damage are added to items (supposed to be happening with ikisith, or so I hear), no casters do not scale up nearly as well as melees

Well, I just wanted to express my perception while getting the opinion of the more experienced players in order to bring a possible issue to attention. From the outside looking in it surely appears that way and I'm glad I got some people to share their opinions and ideas on the subject.

As long as the developers know what is going on that is what counts.

until better focus effects and more +magic/fire/cold/etc. damage are added to items (supposed to be happening with ikisith, or so I hear), no casters do not scale up nearly as well as melees
Don't forget to add: at the extremely high end.
Up until tiers 7-8, there is no or almost no problem.
Balance changes with tiers too.

We did with tomes, but pretty much after you hit max tomes and get your archaic you won't be increasing in power anymore. There is a slight exception in that you can pick up bracers with procs, but these are few and far between. On a caster for scaling up your damage to the max (with a fair bit of sacrifice on the 2nd bracer, and really not even worth it to get both) would be a hellcall, and a bracelet of plagued spirits. The latter of which can be ignored if A) Someone you're regularly with uses a sidrav, or B) someone you're regularly with has one.

Pretty much after you hit a certain point the only thing that increases is how long you can cast spells for. At a certain point this veers off into irrelevant territory, as few fights are long enough to exhaust you. It's handy for grouping endurance, but other than that not very valuable.

In addition mages in particular you'll have trouble utilizing all of your abilities all the time in the first place in terms of dps (Monster Summoning for example). Balancing focus effects also quickly gets ridiculous. If you want scaling you're really looking at the wrong archetype.

Also yes, this is at the high end. I have a certain amount of hope for new tomes etc.

Back
Top Bottom