colour dyes - please put the vials in game

gummythetroll

Dalayan Beginner
Since the dye system is already in-game and working fine from what I can see, could you please add the colour vials to a merchant in the bazaar or another zone?

If there's one thing im absolutely dying for its to have some nice colour co-ordinated armour instead of the awful look my character currently has due to a lack of sufficient complete armour sets.

I don't see any particular problem in terms of storyline or where these colour dyes should come in, as far as im concered they should be in from the start as you would expect, in this type of fantasy world, armour could be dyed and tempered in any city, at any blacksmith.

There's no serverside code for it, from what I gather, and visuals aren't saved or displayed properly as it is (on normal armor. The color I see is different than the color armor that you see half the time)

no no no no NO
please for the love of god DON'T PUT ARMOR DYES ON WR

it was one of the lamest things introduced to EQ

Trig said:
no no no no NO
please for the love of god DON'T PUT ARMOR DYES ON WR

it was one of the lamest things introduced to EQ

Why? Sounds like "variety" for me! :brow: Why do you say its lame?

As it's looking right now, once colors/dyes and stuff is actually working, it will likely be expensive high-end brewing/pottery. So those that want to dye can do so, but not cheaply.

Being able to know what somebody is wearing just by looking at them.

Back in the day you would see somebody walk by and think to yourself "woah, full cobalt, that guy is badass!"
you could see a group of people hunting and you would notice they are all in full skyshrine or kael armor... etc
casters would have badass looking robes that had a distinct pattern/color and you could tell right away how uber they were

having distinct armor graphics that people can recognize was one of the better things I appreciated about EQ
you would feel proud when you received an uber piece of equipment because you would know that everybody would recognise it straight away

you could zone into sebilis and automatically know who is wearing what and who you would want to group and who you would avoid (sometimes you could tell people made bad gear choices and thus were useless/stupid)
if you wanted to form a group you could just look at people and go "right, that guy and this guy have ntov loot, that guy is full skyshrine, invite invite..."

also you could tease people they look like a bard if their armor was too colorful

dyes ruined all of that and I hated it so very much when they were introduced

Trig said:
Being able to know what somebody is wearing just by looking at them.

Back in the day you would see somebody walk by and think to yourself "woah, full cobalt, that guy is badass!"
you could see a group of people hunting and you would notice they are all in full skyshrine or kael armor... etc
casters would have badass looking robes that had a distinct pattern/color and you could tell right away how uber they were

having distinct armor graphics that people can recognize was one of the better things I appreciated about EQ
you would feel proud when you received an uber piece of equipment because you would know that everybody would recognise it straight away

you could zone into sebilis and automatically know who is wearing what and who you would want to group and who you would avoid (sometimes you could tell people made bad gear choices and thus were useless/stupid)
if you wanted to form a group you could just look at people and go "right, that guy and this guy have ntov loot, that guy is full skyshrine, invite invite..."

also you could tease people they look like a bard if their armor was too colorful

dyes ruined all of that and I hated it so very much when they were introduced

im sorry but that is absolute rubbish. Inviting people based on the colour of their armour? Recognition of poorer loots and thus poorer or "stupid" players?

I'm glad wizzy is going ahead with the dyes, even if they are to be expensive. If you don't wanna dye your armour so be it, but I sincerely hope you're never in a situation where you get passed up for a group simply because of what your character is wearing and thus an indication of your skill.

Absolute nonsense.

I think dyes are exceptionally lame, but that's me.

It will eventually have everyone running around in full sets of dyed armor.

Melwin said:
I think dyes are exceptionally lame, but that's me.

It will eventually have everyone running around in full sets of dyed armor.

If wizzy is going to make them rare to find or difficult to create, then there will be no problem about it! Besides, what's the bad thing of people having armors of different colors? ;) It pushes forward originality between characters!

gummythetroll said:
im sorry but that is absolute rubbish. Inviting people based on the colour of their armour? Recognition of poorer loots and thus poorer or "stupid" players?

I'm glad wizzy is going ahead with the dyes, even if they are to be expensive. If you don't wanna dye your armour so be it, but I sincerely hope you're never in a situation where you get passed up for a group simply because of what your character is wearing and thus an indication of your skill.

Absolute nonsense.

no you're not inviting people based on color of their armor, but based on being able to know what they're wearing right away
yes, the fact somebody has full ntov indicates they will probably be a better asset in a group than somebody wearing fine steel plate armor

and yes some people who make poor equipment decisions are stupid. well, at least clueless about how the game works and I wouldn't want them in a group. If I can tell that right away from the way they look then hooray for not wasting 5 people's time by wiping later on

I guess with dyes you can tell who the dumbasses are by having stupid dyes on their armor

I like how each armor has a unique look. Dont put dyes in, they are lame. That was one of the neatest things about getting rare armor, walking around in a "different" look from others. That completely vanishes with dyes.

so....make some items "non-dyeable" ? Some of the higher end armors and such. Give them a unique look that can't be imitated by dyes.

I personaly dont mind dyes, its nice to try to create a decent look on your character, and maybe you have that crazy uber loot and you want people to underestimate you. there are plenty of reasons to have that option in the game. and so long as you are not required to paint your bracers pink and your boots yellow. i dont see a reason why it shouldnt be an option for those that want to use it.

We already know that A - it will not be buyable from a merchant. B - It will be expensive high end pottery/potions. so it is not like everybody and their sister's best friend's cousin that knows that guy's ex girlfriend will have their whole set of gear dyed.

Trig said:
no you're not inviting people based on color of their armor, but based on being able to know what they're wearing right away
yes, the fact somebody has full ntov indicates they will probably be a better asset in a group than somebody wearing fine steel plate armor

and yes some people who make poor equipment decisions are stupid. well, at least clueless about how the game works and I wouldn't want them in a group. If I can tell that right away from the way they look then hooray for not wasting 5 people's time by wiping later on

I guess with dyes you can tell who the dumbasses are by having stupid dyes on their armor

Well i'm certainly glad this is not the normal. As a 60th enchanter, Until a month ago, my tunic was a plain robe almost like a starting tunic. I also carry a chaos orb which are common amond mid 40s. upon inspection you would find me wearing cobalt scar silk legs. If someone truly judged me by my looks then I think they would be in for a loss.

The robe was from Plane of Air and until a few patches ago recieved the proper graphics. I carry the chaos orb or even a dagger sometimes because my int and cha are already maxed and just as well have the dmg increment from the orb. My pants were only just upgraded a week ago to something better. The reason for so long is because whether order of loot distribution or simply a bad roll left me with those legs for so long.

Since illusions are my trade, I know well that looks can be deceiving. I've known plenty of people on live that HAD tons of ubar loot. Just because some smuck had a full set of planar gear, does not mean I would invite them to a group. Your reputation should be the basis for grouping, not the items you carry. Yes I realize this post is about Dyes, but it shouldn't matter the color or style of what they are wearing. I know alot of people on this server and on live that could not or were unable to gain access to the area where uber loot dropped. And I would still take those non uber loot people over some of the one with the planar gear, simply because i knew that they were better at their class.

Well how about when dyes are ready to be implimented someone just put a poll up. Honestly I don't see the problem with having them in game and why they are going to be made expensive? It allows players to further customize their characters, no issues with balancing so whats the big deal? And oh let me emphasize "BIG DEAL" not "Oh then everyone will have black armor blah blah blah, thats not going to happen. Everyone already gravitates towards the same armor for their class, this just will set players apart. No big deal it's just colors.

I completely agree,

I don't see anything wrong with having colour dyes and in my opinion they should be store-bought and easily/readily available for anyone who wants to use them.

There's absolutely no reason why it should be exclusive or expensive to customise your armour colours. As Gloworm pointed out, everyone gravitates towards the same armours at the moment so we're already seeing a cloning of characters/armours.

I think this will be a great addition.

The crappy colours should be cheaper than the better looking colours, if they were to be added. The argument that they add to personal style is vaguely moot aswell, because of the 100 people that dye sets of armor, well over 70 will be black.

Personally, I would only want dyes that removed any colouring from my armor, as I prefer to default look to the colours, mainly due to the way that they also colour skin-tone. Whether they're in or out makes no real difference to me, as I'll most likely be wearing a robe to cover up the current colour schemes anyway.

Back
Top Bottom