Charms, Gear, and the TS economy

Haenir

Dalayan Master
Not sure how possible all this is, mostly just a rough sketch of some thoughts I had along the lines of things I would do to make the game more economically interesting.

Step 1: Make most gear dropped from mobs No Drop.

Basically I think the BoE system and artificial prices floors on items do all sorts of weird and undesirable things. Changing gear drops to No Drop would:
I would still keep some specific items tradeable (e.g., items used for Rust key, etc.), but I'd either have those items be freely tradeable like Ambassador's Writ or once bound only destroyable (i.e., I think unbinding/unechanting is bad).
Step 2: Make all trash drops from mobs be either TS materials, quest items, or provide in-game lore.
Basically there are hundreds of items that serve to (1) add some flavor to loot, and (2) provide cash value to mobs w/o adding a ton of coin weight (obselete 2.0 problem). You could go super practical and replace this loot w/ pure cash drops now that coin weighs nothing. But I'd much rather see the items mobs drop actually have a purpose beyond straight plat from a vendor. Examples:
  • Overgrowth plants and other plant mobs should drop items relevant to alchemy. I mean lore-wise isn't the Circle Brothers Company in the Overgrowth specifically for alchemical research (at least on the surface)?
  • Tradeskill feedstocks like these.
  • Things like "Torn page from an adventurer's journal" which provide a diary-like entry that describes some Dalayan lore, zone progression (e.g., after slaughtering all the vulfwere in Warpstone I heard about the fallen city of Kaladim...), strategy/mechanics hints (e.g., the monk travelling with me showed me how he could steal the lifeforce of his foes...), etc.
Step 3: Add more dynamic plat sinks to the game (hell even use the ones in game more -- like the lottery system).
Plat accumulation is a problem, which is sort of fixed by having charms, unfortunately the fact that charms are the most powerful items in game results in encouraging plat generation as well as creating a (mostly in peoples heads) huge gap between new and veteran players.
  • The warehouse/guild storage idea
  • Consumables -- more variety in effects from charge-based clickies, ideally made with tradeskills -- e.g., a single charge heavenstorm clicky from jewelcrafting, single charge illusion masks from tailoring, more variety of port potions, etc.
  • Regular use of lottery
  • Arming/supplying the seekers (maybe to trigger war events?)
Step 4: Replace buyable charms with a progressive charm quest.
Here's a scenario I've been running into lately: I log on, nothing much going with guild, so I've got a choice of whether to pick up some folk from /ooc for group shenanigans or solo/duo farm towards my eternal/supreme fund. From an exp perspective solo farming or an on-tier group will net the best xp/hour. From a plat perspective duo farming or an on-tier group filled with boxes will net the best plat/hour. The folk that are lfg are more likely than not lower-tiered, so more realistically my choices are to grouping on lower reward content or farming alone. I hate farming, so more often than not I'll make the group.

I don't think this is an uncommon scenario -- and it kills me that the rational choice if you're interested in character progression is often to not group. And I think this is a direct consequence of having such a large permanent piece of gear as the main plat sink in the game.

Assuming steps 1, 3, and 6 are implemented, changing charms from a buyable item to a progressive quest reward becomes quite attractive. What would that quest look like?
  • I'd make the first charm expable, given in the dream, and generalist: Charm of the Learner
  • Second charm I'd tie in to the MQ -- from Seeker Tresaria to reward gaining trust of seekers, would also be expable but have caster/melee/priest/hybrid versions: Charm of the Seeker
  • Third charm (requires groupage) I would tie in to players Heartlands faction, also expable and archetypically varied: Charm of the Council / Charm of the Crown / Charm of the Blackscale
  • Fourth charm (first charm that requires raiding) I would tie in to deities -- specifically a Divine Light lore exposition quest which can be done regardless of deity pledge, also expable and archetypically varied: Charm of Elael / Charm of Dalaya
  • Fifth charm I would tie in to Ikisith and the war against Kaezul with certain REDACTED lore tie ins, also expable and archetypically varied: Charm of the Betrayer / Charm of the Void
  • Sixth charm would be....? One of the nice things about this idea is that as new content is added further continuations can added as desired.

Step 5: Add more alternate currencies and things to purchase with them: New Ikild Coins, Refuge Tokens, etc.

Would like to see currencies for kaezul's empire, elael orcs, and the Ikisith rebels (maybe heartlands factions too?). Things to purchase might be: an armor set (from kaezul's empire), opus (from orcs), tomes (from rebels).

Step 6: Reduce cash drops overall -- probably by having mobs that drop cash be only those which would logically carry cash.

Step 7: Add NPCs which "buy" TS materials dynamically (e.g., depending on how many players are bringing in a certain type of material the price goes up or down) -- they would pay in plat or alternate currencies -- and which will then "sell" those same materials dynamically to players.

Step 8: Profit?

Last edited:
Unenchantble
Items are fine they have no
Stats only cash, okay

Just add tradeskills
To current Plat drops like hides
So codairs make type 5

There are consumables made from tradeskills, like Faceted Swamp Diamond, that you can learn to craft in the murk. To my knowledge, there is one for every tradeskill (likely with the exception of tinkering, because those quests predate that tradeskill, but who knows...)
They have rather unique effects, but to my knowledge, they do not see much usage (if any at all...). So I'm not convinced that more clickies with more unique effects will actually be sought after. (DISCLAIMER: Not my call eitherways.)

Something that occurred to me is that the skill caps could have changed with the new client. In live tradeskills go up to something like 700 skill cap nowadays? If the cap is increased in 2.5 something like codairs hide illusion masks might be a good way to have ikisith tradeskill items take skill max from 250 to 350 or something.

There are consumables made from tradeskills, like Faceted Swamp Diamond, that you can learn to craft in the murk. To my knowledge, there is one for every tradeskill (likely with the exception of tinkering, because those quests predate that tradeskill, but who knows...)

There isn't a murk ts consumable for brewing, baking, poison making, or fletching either. The murk consumables are a good example of the kind of consumables I'd envision. Though there are some problems with the murk ts items:
  • Most are Lore tagged, making it pretty inconvenient to carry many around or to stock a ts vendor with them. All of them should be like Faceted Swamp Diamond and non-lore and rely on a cooldown to control how often they can be used. Stackable would be nice too.
  • The charm dagger is a proc instead of a clicky (meaning you can just miss the throw and waste it) - should really just be a clicky, or much cheaper to make and stackable.
They have rather unique effects, but to my knowledge, they do not see much usage (if any at all...). So I'm not convinced that more clickies with more unique effects will actually be sought after.

High cost consumables are unlikely to be used so long as there are 1.2 million plat charms. I could easily use Faceted Swamp Diamond during every raid -- but spending a significant amount of plat to gain a relatively mediocre increase in damage makes no sense when I could invest in a much more significant permanent increase in abilities via charms. Once I've gotten my supreme charm I know I'll be buying a shit ton of tinkering and other clickies.

Last edited:
I'm going to wrap a few things Haenir brought up with 1 fix

Instant Nadox
Turn a zone into a 6 man dungeon that is level based, hard, high exp gains. Pay Plat for a offering to a god to have them take over a zone. Allowing players to set the difficulty of the zone for a new experience.
Step 1. Find a prophet of (GODNAME)
Step 2. Give him money to buy Offering 1-10 (easy to hard)
Step 3. Expend offering in the zone of the players choice (except raid zones)
Step 4. Zone is repopulated with mobs (Follower of GODNAME) and strength is determined by the offering expended. Monsters will also posses skills related to the god.
Step 5. Player is awarded experience for a EXPABLE Charm after clearing the zone.

Just an idea, Some what like Rifts in Diablo 3 or Original LDON instances.

Back
Top Bottom