Channeling

bard ults can be written in the lore like this: when you got your first little plastic recorder in elementary school, you definitly blew into it as hard as possible as soon as you got your hands on it. Of course this made everyone else really angry and they covered their ears while yelling to never do it again. However, as a musician now wielding your melodies to manipulate dangerous monsters all across Dalaya, you hold the knowledge of that pain and anger caused back then in your back pocket for use in the most dire of circumstances.

since bellows are wind mod this makes perfect sense.

make it happen.

could we please get some info about what the +channeling mod does currently? most people seem to think it no only longer provides crits, and some smallish sample size tests seem to back it up (8 channelling vs 0 channelling on solo)

even if you guys just say it does nothing right now that would be helpful

thanks

edit: nevermind the wiki says it allows you to cast thru stun sometimes so yeah

Last edited:
This change has completely screwed Wizards DPS. That or there was some stealth coding change regarding crits. I mean I have every possible tome/opus done for crits and in almost every instance classes like rogues, mages, monks and well OF COURSE Rangers are ahead. Wizards used to be able to pull much more DMG in long fights but it's like you get an ultimate almost half the time now it seems. I guess I'll work on getting parses together to back this up. I think it really needs to be looked into. Oh right and the 2h Bane being unusable just tops off the problem further.

It was mentioned that items balanced around having channeling would be looked at for changes. Some items with channeling seemed to have good/competitive stats anyway, while others were definitely held up by the channeling stat, and would be marginally desirable without it. I'm just going to point out the items I think need a little boost to be appropriate rewards for the content that drops them.

Refusal of Guilt(T13) compare to: Shroud_of_Wicked_Devotion(T11)

I felt like the channeling was a trade for less raw stats here. It's the first INT caster shoulder item in two tiers, so I think without the channeling, a good stat boost could be expected. Maybe bump it up to 235hp/275mana?

March to Strife(T13) compare to: Shield_of_the_Misplaced_Thoughts(T11)

This item is fairly good. It originally had 300 mana and an aug, so it could hit 330 mana. I don't think this one needs much change, but bumping it back up to 300 mana would probably be appropriate. I think this would also be a good candidate for Companion Strength or Health 8(or even 9, its t13). Its a nice item but has nothing really special about it without the channeling. You could also consider adding ranger back to the item if channeling was the reason they were removed (IDK if that was the issue or not, but it could be a comp str/health for them).

Focus of the Possessor(T12) compare to: Talisman_of_Conservation(T11)

I know this item was created without the channeling, but a lot of turuj loot was weak and needed a boost. The channeling carried this item and made it desirable for more than ENC/SHM. I would give this +1 or +2 Flowing Thought so its not such a hit for people with talisman (FT can still be a problem at this tier, especially if you don't have supreme). Bumping it up to 220hp/250mana would probably be good as well, but I think for most people the big consideration here was the loss of FT, which was fine when you got channeling, but without that, its hard to justify unless you have tons of extra FT or need the focus.

Scintillating Phoenix Feather Cap(T14) compare to: Cloak_of_Corrupt_Nature(T12) or Monstrous_Wing(T13)

The primary appeal of this item for caster classes was the channeling. As just a stat item, the wing is far better, and there are several things better for caster dps. I would bump it up to 315mana to make it appealing to casters, and add 5 evocation or conjuration to help replace the lost caster dps(Most people are capped at this tier, but at least this allows more options in swapping around other items).

Fel'Talla, Path of the Stars may warrant a small stat boost, but I am less familiar with this since I play an INT caster and am much more aware of their itemization and progression.

It seems like the lower tier items didn't lose much or anything to gain channeling(The ones I'm familiar with at least). On the other hand, it seems really clear that high end items with channeling lost a significant amount of other stats in trade, now that channeling isn't something people itemize around, these items really need some compensation to remain adequate rewards for the content that drops them.

It was fun having another stat to try to build up for casters, but the way it was, it was so powerful that any item with channeling became almost irreplaceable.

It was definitely a nerf to caster dps, especially wizards to lose all that crit, and gain nothing in its place.

There are options for making channeling a desirable dps stat without being SO powerful, which should probably involve making it more common and giving it a cap if implemented if devs want to go that path.

The items that were balanced around channeling should be buffed regardless though, because even if its changed again it will never be and should never be as irreplaceable as it was, which is why these items were made weaker, so there would be a trade off.

That is a cool idea! I understand why this happened, it was really too good before, but losing it with nothing in return is a pretty big nerf. Combined with all the other nerfs to high tier items, makes doing T14 pretty much impossible. Even with all the gear from it, its hard to even kill the T13 stuff.

Or maybe just rebalance all of the items that got nerfed with the change, like they said they were going to? Maybe even with a *gasp* focus effect level 9! Or maybe that's asking too much

I agree that channelling could be something better than more stun resists. Maybe give it some extra +heal or +dd dmg kinda like elementry evocation tome does for wizards that it only affects non critts. Adding focus 9 to items with channeling would be bad cause channeling has been on tier 9-10 items (Cod shoulders , warscholar shoulders) they would be to good with focus 9. I think the whole tier 12-13 problem is low focus effects and almost no bane dmg + the whole channelling nerf.

I still like my idea, make it a focus I, II, etc. Each level is a X% chance to do the next step higher than critical blast. Wizards get more big blasts, every other class may see a big number every now and then. Just keep the max cap, low.

I still like my idea, make it a focus I, II, etc. Each level is a X% chance to do the next step higher than critical blast. Wizards get more big blasts, every other class may see a big number every now and then. Just keep the max cap, low.
my idea was channeling is just another spell critical focus, so for example the pants from djar wing might be Channeling Focus 1, the Dawnprime shoulders are channeling focus 2 etc, and those shoulders from prime twins in OG would be channeling focus 3 etc

how about making +channeling improving "Unresistable" damage?

I really like this idea (since its always annoyed me there was no focus or any way to improve unresistable damage)

BUT the idea I like even more, and would really like to see in game is the bonus to noncritical spells. One cool thing here, unlike most potential options, is that it could benefit priests, which is really cool since priests have so few options for improvement outside of focus effects.

Keep it something small like .5% per point. Or .1 or .2% per and make it far more common (this really seems best, to avoid it get with channeling being so irreplaceable). Even at .5%, it would be nice but not the OMG totally irreplaceable like it was.

Some numbers to compare: Old channeling added:
1.7% to wizard dps
1% to necro dps
.33%-1.2% to mage spell dps (depending on class tomes)
~.9% to enchanter spell dps
and of course extra heal crit for priests

at .5% noncrit bonus it would approximately add to high end characters:
.2% to wizard dps
.4% to necro dps
~.3% to mage dps
~.4% to enchanter spell dps
it would probably be MORE useful to healers though, adding some umph to noncrit heals, since crits usually top off a player anyway, and dont need to be stronger.
At those amount its more in line with the elemental damge or procs or just bonus hp/mana that casters are choosing gear for.

my idea was channeling is just another spell critical focus, so for example the pants from djar wing might be Channeling Focus 1, the Dawnprime shoulders are channeling focus 2 etc, and those shoulders from prime twins in OG would be channeling focus 3 etc

This is a cool option as well. It would remain powerful, but like any focus effect, you would only get the highest effect, so it would lose its prior silly role of "any/all items with channeling are best in slot for at least 3-4 raid tiers unless they are replaced with a channeling item" If its possible, just give it .5% crit per rank, and it could progress like normal focuses 1-8. (if it has to be a full % and we really like this idea, odd focuses could apply a 50/50 chance to round up or down each cast).

My idea was to turn channeling into basically deity spec bonus (actually stacking with that), and spread it out a bit more like any other casting skill, so that the maximum of 25 points of channeling overcap would have resultet in ~4% overall character power increase for casters and healers (CoP, anyone?). But alas...

Back
Top Bottom