Buff Buying

Bonk84

Dalayan Elder
i was reading the post on charms and how they are designed to be a plat sink, when i came up with the idea of NPC's who you can buy high end buffs from (or level oriented), much like the xp debt removal priests cast, but with more variety. this would allow players to quit asking around for a SoW, shammy focus, haste or whatnot and either choose to seek out a player to cast it on them, or just run to the NPC "peddling" it's buffing skill. at certain times of the game, certain classes get really rare to find to get a buff from, so i was just throwing this idea out there for the casual gamer.

buff prices would be mildly more expensive than your average price (say price for service + reagent price + level %), and would be avaliable to all players while the buffs are comparable to the players level. it would be a nice addition, especially in the early game for newbies to be able to pick up a hp buff and spell haste before they go out to fight by paying out of their own pocket. and at the endgame, players who duo without buffing characters could pay to get the buffs they desire.

It would be nice but it would maybe lessen the interaction between players. I would love to be able to buy SOE when I am in a hurry to get soemwhere instead of logging in my druid :)

Sanyia said:
It would be nice but it would maybe lessen the interaction between players. I would love to be able to buy the Company when I am in a hurry to get soemwhere instead of logging in my druid :)

Hah, silly filters. This is already in but in limited capacity with the healers/mystics. I'm not sure if we want to expand it further though because of what Sanyia said - loss of player interaction.

The filter replaced Spirit of Eagle's initials with "The Company".

*giggle*

Hope my post makes more sense now....

I love this idea, and would have no qualms about abandoning the "buff me plz" aspect of player interaction. It's not like people would stop talking to each other. :toot:

sweet, now i will never have to group with *insert class/classes here*

edit: or raid with them either LOL!

if something like this was to be implemented I would say it needed to cost quite a lot, in order to stop exactly what Tryfaen said. Use would only be when you couldn't find someone to give you the actual buff, and even still make it a lesser version on a large scale but close enough that it would have to "do" if a person of the class isn't online.

Tryfaen said:
sweet, now i will never have to group with *insert class/classes here*

edit: or raid with them either LOL!

Right because those classes dont do anything besides buff on raids and in groups anyways LOL!

While the idea sounds good, I believe that buffbot classes were a primary reason that permanent buffs were removed. Essentially with that case, Wiz/devs were saying that some classes were being left out because group XYZ already had their best buffs. The argument definitely holds some water, but I also like some aspects of the NPC buffer.

I think you would need some level of deterrent from using the NPC almost exclusively. Perhaps something like a relatively expensive cost in addition to relatively weaker buffs. In addition to that, maybe it would be possible to allow each player to only buy so many buffs in a certain time period (e.g. two buffs per half hour).

hooden said:
I think you would need some level of deterrent from using the NPC almost exclusively.

1) If you died and got rezzed, you wouldn't have the buff anymore unless that class was with you.
2) If the buff wore off, you'd have to make another visit to town. A real pain. Much better to just bring the class with you.
3) It would cost money.

The "people not inviting the class because they already have the buff" argument doesn't hold water. Enchanters, Shamans, Clerics, and Druids are still needed after their buffs are cast. Enchanters have the best mezzes, shamans the best slows, clerics the best heals, and druids are a wizard/cleric combo that can heal AND port.

This NPC buffing system would fill the gaps when that certain class isn't around, or give you an alternative to pestering someone for a buff.

I don't think this is a bad idea... with a higher price then you'd donate for buffs from a player, limits on how many merchant bought buffs you could have, and a stricter level limit. eg Druid's first damage shield is level 9, which can be cast on a level one - from a merchant that spell would only be cast on a level 8 or above. Getting your buffs from a druid would then be more effective.

Also, making them guild specific... you'd only get the druid buffs from surefall, and each guild would offer their buffs, so you'd have to have alignment and faction enough to seek the services to begin with.

Actually you can buff a lvl 20 spell on a lvl 1 char .

There is something called Alchemy whit big variation of buffs ( they last 60 mins ! )

+30 str / dex / cha / int / wis , 8ds , rengation +3 , +3 mana / tick, Mana pots , +100 ac
+400 hp , resists pots ( any resists ) . sow pots , invis pots . haste .

And i bet there is more of em ( i know almost nothing about alchemy ).

But if you buy thoose from ppl who are doing alchemy they have spended tons of pp into vendors buying items they need to combine for their potions.

I lended 1k pp to a friend of mine and his doing alchemy. Now hes on farming pp again to buy more stuffs and combine.

I was only saying as a deterrant to using merchant bought buffs instead of the interaction with other players; the merchant bought ones could have a smaller level variant from spell level to player.

The effects from the buff NPCs would be closer to what players cast, but more limited because you wouldn't carry them around inside clickies in your inventory.

Back
Top Bottom