Bind Wound

Gawain

Dalayan Elder
This is a skill that decreases in worth until virtually useless as your character progresses.

Let's stitch some life back into this ability!

Thought - The small amount of health needs to change for this skill to not be useless.
Let the AA Bandage Mastery heal you by percentage of total health instead of raising the small amount of base health from each bandage

Additional bonus idea:
Add cure poison/disease counter to each bandage.

Completely agree that this skill dwindles in utility higher up, although I'm not sure that this is a bad thing.

When I solo, after ~1-6 blue kills (varies based on zone, e.g., DN rats = 6, remnants crac'tee = 2) it takes a full stack of bandages to completely heal. Which is ~3.5 minutes of downtime. Is this comparable to mana recovery for solo casters in terms of downtime?

What would be cool to see though regardless:
  • Chance to proc some kind of HoT from using skill
  • Tailoring/alchemy crossover bandages that heal better -- i.e., silk bandages soaked in healing potion = much better bind wound than plain bandaids bought from merchant. Not sure how this would work mechanic-wise, can you have different bandages used with bind wound skill?
  • Bind wound while in combat -- interrupt if smacked enough
Side note: can anyone confirm that Ranger bind wound cap is 200? Wtf is up with that?

Great suggestion. I see absolutely no downfall in buffing bind wound. I mean boxing a healer is like the staple to doing pretty much anything to the game. It will give more power for people to play they want to without feeling the need to box. And it might decrease icky druid overpopulation :eek:

I don't see a downfall to buffing bind wounds either, but alas, not my call to make!

2 things though:
1) the perception that you need to have a healer while duoing (or that you need to duo at all) is wrong.
2) Allowing Bind Wounds in combat is a luridicous suggestion. Sure, that whole getting smacked enough interrupts would make it little to not exploitable in solo situations. But just thing a bit ahead and try to rationalize a whole raid BWing the tank once the healers ran OOM.

Which is ~3.5 minutes of downtime. Is this comparable to mana recovery for solo casters in terms of downtime
That's about the time it took me to med from 0 mana to full, when I was fighting those monsters for experience points. As a necromancer, I did have best in game mana regen, so for other casters it would be a little longer.

2) Allowing Bind Wounds in combat is a luridicous suggestion. Sure, that whole getting smacked enough interrupts would make it little to not exploitable in solo situations. But just thing a bit ahead and try to rationalize a whole raid BWing the tank once the healers ran OOM.

Pretty sure a raid event where you can keep the tank up and dps while healing with bind wounds has different problems than bind wound exploits.

Simple(?) solution would be to limit the number of times bind wound can take effect in a given period. Also, I meant if either the medic or the bind wound target getting smacked would cause interrupts.

I gather that in combat bind wound used to be a thing... was this exploiting something that actually happened in the past?

From a game play perspective, it would be kind of cool to proc or click root if you get an add and then bind wound if you are not getting hit or summoned. I'm not saying in combat bind is a good idea, but it would be cool in this sense.

When I solo, after ~1-6 blue kills (varies based on zone, e.g., DN rats = 6, remnants crac'tee = 2) it takes a full stack of bandages to completely heal. Which is ~3.5 minutes of downtime. Is this comparable to mana recovery for solo casters in terms of downtime?
after a certain point most classes have 0 downtime, but thats probably not relevant

I gather that in combat bind wound used to be a thing... was this exploiting something that actually happened in the past?
If you are struck while binding wound you're interrupted but you used to be able (maybe still can?) bind a target's wounds while THEY'RE being struck.

The Healing from Bind Wound has always been incredibly low and it's essentially a worthless skill as you level up.

I believe just sitting down increases your health regeneration at an almost comparable rate to standing and binding wounds, let alone if you're a class that can also med (SK, for lifetaps - pally, for heals) but maybe I'm just biased against the idea of tapping a key every 6 seconds for 3 minutes. Every pull.

Edit: Add higher quality bandages if possible. Make it automatically re-bind if you're not close to fully healed. Try to reduce the effectiveness while in combat. Sounds great!

Also if high quality bandages are a possible thing, mana-infused bandages tia

I really like the ideas of improving this skill, and adding new tradeskilled bandages. To expand on this a bit:
  • I like bandages healing a percentage of total health as opposed to a flat amount. This seems to make sense in terms of injury being relative to a person's body;
  • AA could be a very small bonus to the percent healed, but could also make the ability apply bandages more quickly with each rank;
  • Effects like curing poison or disease could be a cool alchemy crossover combine - bandage + whatever potion;
  • Better quality bandages could be tailoring-created;
  • With multiple types of bandages available, use the top item in a player's inventory.
On the issue of combat-bind wound, I'm pretty solidly opposed. I feel like it has major balance hurdles and doesn't really make sense - like I can picture a heal spell magically closing wounds, but it doesn't make any sense for 15 people to be trying to bandage someone up who is simultaneously swinging a sword around and getting attacked. You definitely have to be still and out of combat for this to make any sense.

The whole allowing to bind in combat thing changes too much and has too much potential to mess with balancing issues. And who cares about bother devs with this kind of stuff when they can be working on 2.5 :)

Increasing the amount healed by bind wound while out of combat is an easy fix (I would imagine) that's won't mess with balance but will give non-healing classes less silly downtime. I don't see a downside in doing this.

I don't see it happening, but I think it'd be cool to upgrade, and even allow in combat.

Its hard to see an exploit from a small heal, that takes relatively long time to apply, and stops dps while doing so...

I like the thought of bind wound healing maybe 5% but also having a decent poison/disease cure component. It would change balance on a few fights, but not significantly, and thematically I think it makes a lot more sense for a meele to step back and bind wound than to just spam click an item between rounds (which is what happens now). It would *never* be a viable way to heal a main raid tank.

It might be possible to get this effect by making bandages items with clicky effects, rather than activated through the skill press itself, although I'm unsure if a spell can use a regular skill (such as Bind Wound) to check effectiveness.

You could basically make any bandage you wanted to with that in mind. I could see a bandage with a placid focus sort of effect - it enhances your regeneration until you enter combat.

Bind wound restores small amount of mana (100?) out of combat. Allows warrior/monk/rogue and FM people to help that slacker get FM!

The whole allowing to bind in combat thing changes too much and has too much potential to mess with balancing issues.

I really don't see the balance issue. I heal ~20hp/second using bind wound with max skill mods and ~24hp/second using OG heal clicky ring. *shrug*

I really don't see the balance issue. I heal ~20hp/second using bind wound with max skill mods and ~24hp/second using OG heal clicky ring. *shrug*
The issue arises when you have 14 people bind wounding the tank at engage of a fight, before slows and auxes and what not are in.

I have seen that. Despite it looking really funny (and mind you, I saw that back in the day when we had 36man raids for added hillarity!), I don't think we want it back.

The issue arises when you have 14 people bind wounding the tank at engage of a fight, before slows and auxes and what not are in.

BW: 14 x 200 (probably too high if you consider casters have lower skill cap etc.) = 280hp/sec
OG Ring: 14 x ~150 (probably low since during the day my non-codex capped Rogue does 155) = 350hp/sec

Are people just not trying this? My point was that it is already possible to do the thing you are saying will unbalance things -- the only difference I see is that bind wound won't draw aggro, and can be done with people invis if the boss doesn't see invis. Maybe the 36-man was a different situation? My guess is that tanks and healers are much beefier nowadays than when this was a problem -- I can't even remember the last time I saw a tank die on engage because of lack of heals.

Also, by the logic so far, I've found the new purpose for a BST:
1 BST chain casting chloroblast with HI5 x 6 = 333hp/sec -- more valuable than either BW or OG Ring because the healing is spread out over 1.5 second intervals instead of 10 or 6.

I've found the new purpose for a BST:
1 BST chain casting chloroblast with HI5 x 6 = 333hp/sec -- more valuable than either BW or OG Ring because the healing is spread out over 1.5 second intervals instead of 10 or 6.
You might be surprised how often we do this already... It's definitely more of a contribution than our (current) shitty dps... Hopefully that changes soon though.

Back
Top Bottom