Best 2 box to be farming names?

Hukks

Dalayan Beginner
This is for lvl 65s.. My druid and chanter are fine for now but I am only lvl 46 and getting to where charm is showing its weakness.

Was thinking Shaman and SK.. as I am sure a monk unless geared very well would have a hard time tanking.

My monk isnt geared very well (currently im level 43) and Im "fair" at tanking. Since I'm gonna stay 43 until I can get a raid for snowskin.

The key to being a decent tank as a monk is keep your weight down low. I believe its 12 stones and add 1 stone per 10 levels, so being level 43 i can have 16 stones of weight (coin/equipment) and once i hit 17 my ac drops (not much but at 18 stones of weight it drops a noticeable amount and accelerates). My monk has all his skills capped (except for riposte is around 105ish). I have specialized in blunt/avoidance (250) and once that was capped i started putting in blade/strike.

While im idle on my monk, I made a 2nd account and created a shaman, I hate walking without sow, so its pretty much a 'sow' pet to follow along with me. Someone did tell me that a shaman and monk duo are an extremely good combo for camping name spawns. I can see that would be true later one, especially with landing a slow, casting a merger haste spell on my monk…

the classics are:

shaman +monk/sk
dru + paladin
dru + necro is pretty good too

all depends really on what you want to farm, where you want to farm and how far youre planning to go in this game (raids uber quests etc)

So pallys better then Sks for farming 65 names and such? I just dont want to put forth the effort and time like i have with my other guys to not be able to duo names. Well maybe not lvl 65 names but in those zones and such. Of course I will start off easy and move up the ladder like I am sure most of you all did.

To Jim.. I have been playing eq for many years and this server is different in many ways but what isnt different is monks have low AC and get hit hard on names that either rampage, flurry, that sort of stuff. THat is why i said in order to farm names with a monk and shammy duo at end game the monk has to be very well geared.

Last edited:
So pallys better then Sks for farming 65 names and such? I just dont want to put forth the effort and time like i have with my other guys to not be able to duo names. Well maybe not lvl 65 names but in those zones and such. Of course I will start off easy and move up the ladder like I am sure most of you all did.

To Jim.. I have been playing eq for many years and this server is different in many ways but what isnt different is monks have low AC and get hit hard on names that either rampage, flurry, that sort of stuff. THat is why i said in order to farm names with a monk and shammy duo at end game the monk has to be very well geared.

SKs and Pallies are pretty close, gear will be way more dependent on whether or not you can kill named. It also depends on what named, for example shadowknights are able to split since they can feign death, while paladins cannot. And most 65 named are kinda rough, it will likely take considerably longer to get the gear/AAs/tomes to duo them than to get to 65 in the first place.

Anyway you can probably make better money farming cycgorge or something than trying to camp named for money, and it doesn't take that much gear at 65 to duo cycgorge.

If you want to be soloing(duoing) hard stuff, you're gonna need good gear, AAs, and somewhat depending on classes, tomes. There aren't any classes you can make into a killer named-farming duo in entry-level 65 gear.

That said I think a paladin and a healer clearing all the rats and dragons in DN will be better cash (and Xp!) than sitting in cycgorge.

Thanks for the advice as I was use to chanter being king of 65 names and such. Well, to be honest I started a chanter thinking I would be able to solo all the way up to 65 but quickly found out i needed a box.

I rather just lvl up the druid and chanter to 65 right now and keep as buff bots for my main characters which will almost certainly be a shaman as that was my first toon i ever got to somewhat "uber" stasis on live.

So either a Sk or Paladin it looks like for the other.

On a side note how reliable is FD as i seen posts from monks saying FD isnt reliable till 65. So how reliable is SK fd then?

Also let me rephrase something I am not looking to farm lvl 65 names but rather lvl 65 zones. I will have the druid I am lvling right now port and track for names and if something is up have the others kill it.

Last edited:
Oh if you are just doing lvl 65 zones, that does change it a lot. Monk/shaman is pretty good as that. A well geared SK (needs to be fearless) with a druid can own DN. Just round up a dozen or so at a time and DS em to death. Each death is not great EXP or PP, but with the numbers it is pretty sweet.

Frankly, there are a lot of duos that would do the job for you. Any tank/healer.

If I were you, I would keep the druid, turn the chanter into a kei bot and make a Knight or monk for the druid. I enjoy the BST/DRU but I am limited in some zones that a DRU/tank may not be.

Well I would think a Bst would be better then a Monk and as I am lvling and farming of course the AAs will come so I dont want to be stuck at early 65 zones doing those names like a Monk and Shaman will be.

I would like to progress and do harder names when and if AAs and gear get to that point. I just dont want to be in a dead end like I will be with chanter at lvl 65 for name killing. I can surely keep the druid as a semi and lvl up a tank to main but i rather play a shaman then a druid to main. I have only really boxed druids on live for raids and such and this a different game so I dont know druids as well as a shaman.

Futhermore, I have only boxed a warrior on live to tank or off tank on live so I really dont know much about tankers as I lived and died on charm on live for exp and names.

The reason i did druid is for ports/res/heals as i would of done cleric/chanter if getting to zones was easier here with no porter. Seeing how charm isnt as effective at later lvls its really making me think of switching as I dont want to flame as others have on how weak it is later in lvls but sure is a let down. Charm was fine or i didnt see much of a difference till recently and noticed it isnt a viable way to kill a high semi or high lvl named.

Last edited:

This is pretty false. Monks tank great and are actually less gear dependent than a Warrior, SK, or Paladin.

agreed, monks are nice tanks and all. imo sham + monk >> sham + sk. but for farmage for cash best spots are emberflow and first ruins and highkeep. so those are the places that you have to go yes.

This is pretty false. Monks tank great and are actually less gear dependent than a Warrior, SK, or Paladin.

yes, but for a monk to be up to par with a warrior/sk/pally, he needs some FAT gear upgrades to be equal to a warrior/SK/Pally who has moderate gear upgrades.

Aside from any of that, don't underestimate paladins. I 2boxed a pally/chanter for a LOT of highkeep and DN for xp/cash/dragon faction armor drops. they can slow undead, DPS the crap out of undead, and tank everything else well enough. Being lazy, i would often solo it on the paladin because switching back and forth between boxes was annoying.

Well I would think a Bst would be better then a Monk and as I am lvling and farming of course the AAs will come so I dont want to be stuck at early 65 zones doing those names like a Monk and Shaman will be.

Uhmmm.... Nopes, sorry you are wrong. Bst is not better at this point, not in the way you want to use your combo. Im playing a bst with not the greatest gear but not to shabby either, and no she is not better then a monk thats has the same lvl of gear. The monk kicks her ass I would say.

I'll echo a few points.

Keep the Druid

Though a Bst/Druid is a fantastic Combo. It is not a Name Killing Combo, as the Bst does not tank in the same ball park as a Knight or well geared monk. Thats not to say a bst/dru wouldn't tear up DN, but in a zone like HHK or FR the bst tanking abilites would be pushed to the limits pretty badly.

From reading your post on what you want to hit, I definitely feel a Sk/Dru or Mnk/Dru is what your looking for. Later on the Sk will provide a more solid tank then the mnk, but the Mnk is going to be more solid DPS.

Pal/Dru is a very nice combo, however for hitting names I think your better off with Sk or Mnk due to the ability to split pulls. Paladins can Pacfiy but thats not nearly in the same ballpark as a FD split.

As to DN, it doesn't take massive gear or AAs to go Rat Farming. Dragons will be out of reach for awhile, but those come fairly quick as well (at least the a dragon Shade).

Like someone mention above, DN xp is not about the single target xp.. its about rounding

up 6+ rats and killing them quickly neting you big Xp and cash.

A Bard/Dru is a pretty nice combo as well, definitely more finesse combo then a Sk/dru or Mnk/dru but has a lot of tricks up its sleeve.

Thats for the input all and yeah I dont want to be limited to only a few names is why I thought monks wouldnt be good and bst better. I figured bst would be better cause of slow/ac/tankage as I know in live a bst can tank pretty good if needed and monks cant. That is why I am asking to figure out whats the best way to go.

Sad thing is I also know some rogues that can tank better then warriors and sks but this is live and much different.

Like someone else stated to tank with a monk you need great gear as I just dont want to do first tier names or low lvl 65 names.

I would like to box a power duo that has no limits on which name i tank if the gear and AAs are there.

I was the first shaman on povar to solo lodi at lvl 60 and that took alot of AAs, spells (torpor), gear (JBB), and such.

Also on live shamans are prolly the best soloers for names

Beastlord slow and pet damage stance make them a particularly effective combo with a druid, actually. It'll get the job done.

The best two farming duos are, without question, monk and druid or bard and cleric.

Coming from the person who got the first 1.2 million plat charm on the server and from someone who spent many hundreds of hours farming all over the world, my advice would be shaman / monk. I could sit here for hours and explain my methods and why the above combo is the best, but the fact that I haven't played in a year or more probably means that most of my tips and spots are outdated and there are new and improved spots.

But to each his own, there are many good duos for farming, I simply think that shaman / monk is the most versatile duo and overall the best for plat farming.

Not to farm nameds but to farm in general: Team up Necro + Pally.

It'll own up HK in a really bad way, esp. when you pick up upgrades and AA's.

That aside there are quite some things you can do with this combo, everything that includes undead is A+ - places like Plaguelands (for XP mostly) aren't the worst thing either.
VE maps and once you have a bit of gear even E maps can be interesting as well.

Back
Top Bottom