Beastlords

darksabbath

Dalayan Master
Disclaimer: Incoming wall o' text, deal with it.

Beastlords; the red-headed stepchild of SoD it seems. As mentioned in /ooc the other night, the least played class in SoD, even. But why is that? With our pet, we can contribute decent dps, and we have some nice buffs (sv, sb, cotb, sav). But still, I can sit for hours LFG.. when I am stubborn enough to do it. Why? Because it seems dps and a some buffs just isn't enough to crack the line-up. Most rogues, rangers, and monks provide better dps, and some added utility that beastlords lack (lockpick, track, pulling, off/aux tanking, etc.). Beastlords seem ok when it comes to the raid game; the loot code, and enough classes desiring the buffs we have means you need one.. but only one. There is little to no raid-game benefit to having more than one beastlord along. They wear leather armor, so they aren't even as useful to off-tank in a pinch, when compared to others. (Yeah, monk has leather, but he has so many stances to make him so much better, and more able, than a similar geared bst.)

But I don't think the total answer to our woes would be the addition of just a spell or two. Stances really need a looking over, also. The class doesn't need to be in the holy trinity, or even Cinn's god-tier (though it'd be nice), but being less dubious would help. At the moment, most classes in a group can buff anything we do, but better.

The Spells
Spiritual Vigor: no thanks, the pally cast sb sss.. which lasts twice as long. Almost nobody cares about your +40atk for 105hp less, anyways (the rogues/rangers do, but most monks want sss for the extra hp for pulling, bards want the extra hp for aux-ing).
Bliss: The cleric wants this, maybe the druid, the int casters want this also. Every other class on the raid usually clicks this off. Why? Lack of buff slots. It's a nice hp/mana regen boost (8 each), but hardly a required one. Besides, the sb WoN the druid cast, which lasts 4 times as long, has 8ft on it also. And Shammies have so much ability to get mana back already, it's an auto-click for them too.
Cunning of the Beast: Decrease aggro 20%, increase nuke/dot dmg by 20%. Base time of ~15minutes. Flat-out awesome for casters, quickly clicked off by healers and melee. Finally a buff that others don't do better (bard boost songs don't have -aggro), but also of use only to a few. If a group has no int casters, it's generally unwanted. So, more red as it gets clicked off.
Savagery: The one all the rogues want. +25sta, +50 resists, and +100attack. The only problem with this spell is the crazy short duration (6minutes) with a recast that is half that. That means only two people will get this spell, when so many could benefit from it.

How to help the beastlords out here? It has been suggested many times, but I'll say it again, a group Savagery buff. Don't want a raid one, that would probably be OP, but a group buff, with a cool-down just short of the duration, and a duration worth a damn, would be useful and balanced, imo. Perhaps give bst's the last non-relic versions of shammy stat buffs, so if we are grouped and no shammy is around (or they wear off), we have useful stats buffs to throw on people. Or maybe a single buff for stats, with lesser numbers and no side boosts (no ultravision or waterbreathing, etc.).
Also, I am confused why the only hybrid (dps or tank) that gets ancients or relics is the bard. So perhaps give the new spells as ancients/relics. With that in mind, I propose the following:

Ancient: Talisman of the Beast
Mana cost: 300
Cast time: 4 seconds
Duration: 120 minutes
Target: Group
Effects:
Increase str, sta, dex, agi by 40

A nice boost for all melee stats, but does less than what doing the individual buffs already available to the bst at that level can do. Exchanging some stats boosts to only take one slot.

Ancient: Aura of Fury
Mana cost: 450
Cast time: 3 seconds
Recharge time: 25 minutes
Duration: 30 minutes
Target: group
Reagents: Peridot x 3 or summoned: peridot x3
Effects:
Increase sta by 20, all resists by 40, atk by 80

A group variant of savagery, slightly less boost, but does the whole group, and lasts 5 times as long. Melee rejoice.

Relic: Spirit of the Savage
Mana cost: 700
Cast time: 12 seconds
Duration: instant
Target: self
Effects:
Summon beastlord pet: BLpet60

A bst pet to bridge the gap between the pet gained at level 63, and the runic2 pet that 99% of the beastlords will never see.

Relic: Essence of the Beast
Mana cost: 350
Cast time: 4 seconds
Target: Group
Effects:
Increase str, sta, dex, agi by 65

A nice increase to the ancient stat boost, but still below what the shammy relic stats gives, even w/o the extras.

Relic: Mending of the Wild
Mana cost: 325
Cast time: 3 seconds
Recharge time: 10 seconds
Duration: Instant
Target: Pet
Effects:
Increase hp by 1700, decrease disease counters by 12

A new pet heal, not sexy, but needed for sure.

Relic: Spiritual Essence
Mana cost: 400
Cast time: 10 seconds
Target: group/raid
Effects:
Increase HP 250, Increase atk 40, Increase current mana by 8 per tick, Increase hit points by 8 per tick

A spell merge of Vigor and Bliss, with a light hp increase of Vigor alone, and a longer duration.

Relic: Khati Sha's Empowerment
Mana cost: 450
Cast time: 7 seconds
Recharge time: 30 seconds
Duration: 90 minutes
Target: pet
Effects:
Increase attack speed 85%, Increase strength 100, Increase armor class 200, Increase attack 60, Increase all resists 60, add weapon proc SpSummerEffect

or: Increase attack speed 90%, Increase strength 120, Increase armor class 250, Increase attack 80

A pet haste/stat buff, it would match stats with sha's feroctiy, but include the effects of Keshuval's Protection (resist buff) and Spirit of Summer (proc buff). Alternatively, it could be just an upgrade from the level 59 Sha's Ferocity. A merged buff would save the trouble of all the different timers on the pet buff spells, but an increase in the haste/stats alone would be a nice dps improvement for the pet.

Overall, it would add some utility to the class with the stat buffs, and would boost dps with an improved mid-ground pet and buff/heals for the pet, to maintain its viability. A group savage buff and the merged sv/sb buff would make the class more desirable, in and out of raids, also.

The Stances
/s 4: Spiritual Guardian: Reduce hate the bst generates.
/s 5: Flurry of blows: increase atk speed, decrease accuracy (no 2h weapon)
/s 6: Rending Rage: Interrupt spells
/s 7: Share dmg with warder

Of these, I used /s 4 while leveling up, and as a low AA 65. It allowed the pet to take the aggro from me, and the pet is easier for a solo bst to heal than himself. I use /s 7 on occasions when I need to tank something harder, for virtually the same reason. I take hits better than pet now, but it is still easier to heal him. For raiding, it is rare I will pull aggro from a tank, near impossible if I have cunning on. So really, all I ever use is /s 2.
I have never used /s 5 or /s 6. Flurry of blows is just a waste, the last thing I need is a decrease in accuracy, it seems like I miss allot already. Unless it is a huge haste boost for a minimal decrease, I have never bothered using it to parse it. Rending rage sounds nice, but I just have rarely had the occasion to bother using it. I know of instances where it could help (healer mobs), but usually when xp-ing, those mobs get burnt first.
I have talked to some other higher-tier beastlords, and most are the same way, it is either /s 2 or s/7 in the "oh shit" moments.

Now lets compare that to the other "DPS hybrid classes". SK's and Pallies are tanks, so really don't belong in comparison, even though they are hybrids. That leaves Rangers and Bards to compare to. I could compare for all DPS, but Rogues and Monks have no spells, so they have more stances to compensate, that's fine imo.

Bard Stances
/s 4: Focused Blade: Increase attack speed and damage.
/s 5: Focused Mind: Pulsing songs can not be interrupted.
/s 6: Nimble Dance: Auto-dodge all incoming melee attacks.
/s 7: Will of the Maestro: Immunity to stun, mesmerize, fear and charm, increased resistances.

So, Bard gets plate armor, and still gets a stance that has haste/dmg increase for no drawback, an auto-dodge, and a nice immunity stance. The only blah one (imo) is /s 5, I rarely had reason to use that on my bard. The auto-dodge is an awesome oh shit stance, for as long as it lasts (which isn't long, iirc). Combine that with the fact they get plate armor, and they are far more capable of tanking longer than a bst will.

Ranger Stances:
/s 4: Blade Guard: Increase your parry/riposte at the cost of offhand attack. Requires 2 Weapons
/s 5: Whirling Strikes: Auto Double Attack and Dual Wield. Requires 2 Weapons.
/s 6: Relentless Parry: Auto-Parry All Attacks.
/s 7: Flurry of Shots: Shoot Twice per Round.
/s 8: Avenger's Precision: Increase Archery Accuracy; Lose Avoidance, Parry, Riposte, Dodge.

Rangers get some nice stances to go with their chain armor. Two stances that help mitigate damage, two that boosts attack frequency for no detriment, and an extra stance over bst/bard, that is used to boost archery accuracy for loss of mitigation, mitigation they probably won't need, if firing at max archery range anyways. So really, the only stance costing them anything is s/4.

I am confused how that is balanced at all. Both of the other hybrid dps classes get stances that increase possible dps, with only stamina drain being the downside. A start would be to remove the accuracy decrease off Flurry (/s 5) for bst, making the stance viable to use. Another stance being added would be awesome too. Perhaps one that boosts the chance to crit (melee, spells, both?), or make it an auto-crit with high sta cost.

TL;DR: there isn't one, take your add medicine and read it all.
*dons all his fire resist gear* Ok, have at me.

Put in the effort to get your runic 1 and your dps will increase significantly. I love to group with bsts any chance I get and I'd raid with 2 bst over a lot of classes (not to mention that raids want skilled and consistent member more than specific classes).

I think the real problem here is in the perception of players rather than the actual class. Beastlords used to be pretty bad (hence the bad rep) but these days they are OP if anything.

Also I think people contribute sitting lfg for hours to themselves a lot more than deserved. I'm one of the best dps on the server and I can sit LFG for hours as well. The best solution is to form your own groups especially if you can box a tank or healer.

Just throwing this out there, but I agree with solo.

When I was sitting at t9 running BQ gropus e're day, the three classes I always wanted were: runic'd mage, runic'd BL, and a bard - the 4th i'd usually try to snag a good rogue, necro etc. With runic's, both the mage and BL do absurd dps, while providing great mana return to the group.

The sitting lfg is across the levels for a bst, it is partially a player-perception thing in that regard, I agree. The simple matter is, no matter the day of the week, I can sit there like that. But being OP, that I seriously doubt. Not when monks are tanks, and bards are ultra-awesome (even after the last round of nerfs). Not when most of their "class-defining" buffs last barely at all, and none last longer than 72 minutes (base time).

Of course you like to group with a bst, you want your cunning. But why would you need a second bst, ever, on a raid? Unless you have a few rogues you raid with, and then you probably wouldn't have room for the second bst anyways. Sure, people who know how to push buttons correctly are preferred, but you do need some specific classes to make an on-tier raid work.

I don't think any of the stuff would OP the class, but would make them more group desirable. It shouldn't take getting the runic1 (a pretty big late-tier step) to give the class a dps boost to catch them up with other classes. Runics are what, tier 9+ or so? What about those other 8 tiers, where the bst struggles through with a pet that is becoming less beneficial. The other major pet classes (mage/necro) get pets at the relic level, so is it so obtuse to ask for an upgrade before the runic level of things?

And yeah, I could box a healer, though not nearly geared as well as my bst is, but I don't have access to a tank that matters. Most times, I just don't want to box, or solo, anymore. I guess I would like for bst's to be able to get a group on their own merits, not on the merits of what they can box.

Buffs not lasting long is encouragement to bring bsts to groups/raids instead of just having them pre buff a group/raid.

I agree that it shouldn't take getting your runic 1 to do dps that is on tier with other melee, but just saying that when you do get it you go bonkers. I actually ran 2 bsts in one of the better xp groups I had, double paragon was so very, very clutch, esp with double runic 1 =)

Not going to lie, after healer/tank/bard, beastlords/mage/rogue/necro are generally what i'm looking for for most groups =\

Do people still log in buffbots for raids and log them out really, outside of the sense of hey everything is dumb and dispells so load all 6 enchanters.

Beastlord stances overall are lackluster. Replacing /5 with some other, actually useful, monk stance would be a good start.

Group savagery sounds like a winner. Tweaking the numbers on SV and duration of Bliss too.

It might not be so bad to give beastlords spirit of panther / mammoth or whatever the last single target stat buffs are.

should only be castable at 65 though.

Looking over some of our raid parses, kjiel generally outperforms every meele dps except rein and maybe other rogues.

Beastlord dps is just amazing. If you add in the dps from savagery, cunning, paragon, they might be the top overall dps (competing with chanter and bard)

It doesnt hurt at all to cunning the meele group and there will always be extra people to savagery around, so they are actually one of the more stackable raid classes.

Also runic 1 is doable at like t4-5 if you actually were to raid it as a guild and have a good kiter. This would actually be a really good idea for some lower guilds because some of these spells are just amazing.

Last edited:
Also runic 1 is doable at like t4-5 if you actually were to raid it as a guild and have a good kiter. This would actually be a really good idea for some lower guilds because some of these spells are just amazing.

I really doubt you could pull off HF even post nerf at t4/5.

Oh i forgot about that one. Probably need a solid t6-7 force there

Yea, dind't mean to poke at it for the sake of poking at it - because I agree that a number of guilds who could have their entire raid force runi'd, simply don't, which is straight up baffling.

runic 1s...

cleric meh
shaman meh (since druid changes)
druid wow, godmode
pal awesome
sk bit of dps
rng ?? we dont show up enough for people to know what our spells do
bst grats you just gained 100+ constant dps
wiz oh your sustained dps on single target is waaay better
mage pet spams wiz archaic...
nec you are king of pbae now (until druid gets his runic2)
enc oh hey casters, you all just gained 50% dps

these things are worth getting!!!! (well most of them)

rng ?? we dont show up enough for people to know what our spells do

It's an upgrade to

Spell: Quiver of the Sun
Slot 1: Blindness
Slot 2: Decrease ATK by 50
Slot 3: Decrease Current Hit Points by 175

Spell: Runic: Quiver of the Legion
Slot 3: Decrease Hit Points by 250 per tick (2)
Slot 9: Decrease Armor Class by 75
Slot 12: Decrease All Resists by 15

Really the only "problem" is that it looks at Affliction Enhancement over Damage Increment since its a 2 tick dot, and Affliction Enhancement on ranger gear is very very lacking. I am currently forced to use Earring of Envenomed Images with has AE6 on it. The only items with AE7 on them that I know of is Epaulets of the Inexorable Dream, Phalanx, Barricade of the Many, and Headband of Carnage. These three items are all very much above the tier of getting runic 1 however.

It's rather on the low end for runic 1's over all. It was nice to get a bow proc that didn't proc blind so Wealwawn would rage a little less, but I wish it was as much of a wow factor as BL's runic 1 is.

Also ranger runic 2 is still worthless.

Ranger Stances:
/s 4: Blade Guard: Increase your parry/riposte at the cost of offhand attack. Requires 2 Weapons
/s 5: Whirling Strikes: Auto Double Attack and Dual Wield. Requires 2 Weapons.
/s 6: Relentless Parry: Auto-Parry All Attacks.
/s 7: Flurry of Shots: Shoot Twice per Round.
/s 8: Avenger's Precision: Increase Archery Accuracy; Lose Avoidance, Parry, Riposte, Dodge.

Rangers get some nice stances to go with their chain armor. Two stances that help mitigate damage, two that boosts attack frequency for no detriment, and an extra stance over bst/bard, that is used to boost archery accuracy for loss of mitigation, mitigation they probably won't need, if firing at max archery range anyways. So really, the only stance costing them anything is s/4.

First off...
/s 5 is pointless to use once you're 65 and have over 100 aa's
/s 7 is also 100% worthless since /s 2 is more dps
and...
/s 4 is great for tanking
/s 6 is good for "oh crap" moment
/s 8 is very meh and might not even be better then /s 2 EDIT: Thade just told me that /s 2 doesn't help bowing at all. So I guess I am dumb.

so rangers are in /s 2 95% of the time and then use /s 4 or /s 6 for "oh crap" moments. Don't try to trick yourself into thinking you're the only class with bad /s's

If you want a real comparison look how many buffs you have that are great and every class wants, then look at how many buffs rangers get (hint: we only get one) that a very small hand full of classes want and everyone else just bitches to you when you cast it because they have to click it off.

Beast lords are currently doing more dps then rangers on the same tier as they also have a pet, and a list of great spells that a number of people want. I really think you're suffering from the grass is greener on the other side.

Last edited:
other ranger affliction enhancement items: contempt, band of the warlock. i wouldn't bother going out of your way to get AE.

s7 has its uses on certain fights, especially 6 man, but the sta drain is way too fast imo
s8 is quite good, almost as good as rogue s6. general belief among high tier rangers is that s2 doesn't work for archery, but i've never tested it.

i suspect you're exaggerating if you say you get out-dps'd by a beastlord though. the very problem with beastlords is that there's two types of beastlords: there's kjiel and then there's everyone else. their scaling is absurd to the point where kjiel does 800+ dps and the #2 bst can barely do half that. the class could definitely benefit from smoothing out the scaling, but as it is they remain valuable no matter what because of their buffs.

other ranger affliction enhancement items: contempt, band of the warlock. i wouldn't bother going out of your way to get AE.

s7 has its uses on certain fights, especially 6 man, but the sta drain is way too fast imo
s8 is quite good, almost as good as rogue s6. general belief among high tier rangers is that s2 doesn't work for archery, but i've never tested it.

i suspect you're exaggerating if you say you get out-dps'd by a beastlord though. the very problem with beastlords is that there's two types of beastlords: there's kjiel and then there's everyone else. their scaling is absurd to the point where kjiel does 800+ dps and the #2 bst can barely do half that. the class could definitely benefit from smoothing out the scaling, but as it is they remain valuable no matter what because of their buffs.

Thanks, I cant believe I forgot about CC mask.

/s 7 could be so much better if it was just tinkered with a bit. It isn't a bad concept. Maybe adding a never miss component to the stance would be nice. Perhaps that would be too good /shrug.

/s 8 really only gets me down because I can still miss numerous times in a row with bad NRG (5+), as I am also losing stamina. Maybe if something was put in so you could only miss 1-2 times in a row max with this stance it would be very nice.

Yeah, to tell the truth I don't group with many BL's, This is because of a number of reasons. First CW has zero of them. Second, there really isn't very many who play that have their codex of power's done. I have grouped with Kjiel more then any other BL in the game and I think that has only been one or two times ever. So yes, I guess I was exaggerating a bit. Sorry.

/s 8 is very meh and might not even be better then /s 2

/s 2 doesn't do anything for bows so I'm pretty sure by default that makes it infinitely better than /s 2

Whenever I'm not in /s 8, I'm in /s 3 or /s 4 depending on what weapons I'm holding at the time.

s 2 does literally nothing for bows just like backstab way to set yourself up :(((

clearly more people need to tell me that /s 2 doesn't work with bows after I edit my own post saying I was dumb and didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom