Are monsters still going to run through walls to chase players after the big updates?

Lunarel

Dalayan Beginner
This has always bothered me. It makes the whole server seem kind of not "real" in that it doesn't match up to the basic behavior of the game client that was released so long ago. I've heard possibilities of fixes from Wiz a few years ago, but nothing has been attempted as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
You can find some of the staff mentioning pathing in this thread located within the Client Upgrade Discussion forum. The gist seems to be that it will be a possibility but that it is low on the "to-do" list for the client upgrade, unfortunately.

I also find it funny that many of us talk about the unrealistic aspect to mobs phasing through walls while overlooking the laughable and absurd concept of FD pulling in the first place. First off, what kind of foe or horde of foes would be dumb enough to believe a stranger had just died before their eyes without even being touched, then proceed to walk away as if nothing had happened? This becomes even more ridiculous when you consider that mobs can fall for the same old trick half a dozen times over the span of a minute while the splitter works his/her magic. Fool a mob once, shame on the FDer. Fool a mob twice, shame on the mob. Fool a mob ten times in a row and still live to tell the tale, shame on a flawed game mechanic! :dance:

I remember hearing long ago that FD splitting (particularly as used by Monks) was not initially intended and began as a misuse or even abuse of the skill's mechanic, yet the practice became so entrenched among the playerbase that it was left undisturbed and later zones were even specifically designed by the developers with FD splitting in mind.

Really, the concept of splitting would have made a whole lot more sense lore-wise if the original developers had given the role either to Rogues (who could trick or otherwise lure enemies away from a pack and then hide Solid Snake style) or to Enchanters (who could exert a kind of "mind control" to dull the enemy's senses and draw them in alone). Perhaps this latter method explains why Pacify-type spells were spread rather generously over several classes, though they never gained the traction that good old FD splitting had; furthermore, they have been gutted by the SoD staff to have even more limited usefulness, so I suppose the silly FD mechanic is here to stay: "Come at me, bro! Aaahhh! Ya got me! JK, I'm still alive! Aaahhh!! This time you really got me! Haha, fooled you!" :dumbsad:

Wall spliting is an stupid and ugly and nonimmersive but apparently essential part of raiding on sod. The server seems to hate natural splits that were relatively fast and easy on live. It probably goes back to pathing or goblins throwing 2s into the binary code. Fixing pathing was touched on in one of the 3.0 threads but sounded like one of those massive undertakings that required changing a whole lot of other stuff to make it work without breaking a lot of other stuff.

Yeah, FD pulling on live and wall splitting on SoD have some parallels with the unintended crap that became entrenched. Shame that calm spells are group/raid wiping unreliable, that bards are not the super pulling gods that live made them, or effective crowd control is so limited across the classes. We could just kite all the time, woot.

Last edited:
overlooking the laughable and absurd concept of FD pulling

Well, if you talking about FD, lets talkg about magic and Lizards/Ogers/Trolls and Tigers (Vah Shir`s are no cats!)

Back to the topic. Yea, Walling a mob is very unrealistics, even to a fantasy game. Even tho is annoying and facilitate the game, I dont find it a break gaming and as Grinkles siad a low on the to-do list.

The biggest problem with requiring Feign Death to split mobs is that 17 other people are doing nothing while a monk does a little side-game thing and usually dies repeatedly while those 17 other before are still doing nothing. That's not fun.

FD splitting on live was like the original "creative use of game mechanics" in MMOs. It wasn't exploitive or anything, it was simply a strategy that never even occurred to the EQ staff at the time.

Monks in SoD are pretty boring whenever there's no splitting to be done (combo system could have single handedly fixed this but alas) and splitting is either very frustrating or very rewarding based on the specific pull. Personally I'd love for monks to be worthy of their spots in high end fights for reasons other than splitting but I don't think that's too likely.

The biggest problem with requiring Feign Death to split mobs is that 17 other people are doing nothing while a monk does a little side-game thing and usually dies repeatedly while those 17 other before are still doing nothing. That's not fun.

This ^^^

Truth. At least monks can pull while death effects are up...

Three things;

First, 2.5 will not give us easy to implement pathing. 3.0, on the other hand, does give us access to such pathing. I am hoping to implement something like pathing at that point.

Second, you guys are leaving out the poor SKs from the splitting conversation. In a lot of instances SK splitting matches or equals monks.

Finally, an ability for rogues to move outside of LoS and hide to clear aggro (on mobs that don't see through hide obv) might be kind of cool.

Edit: There is a fourth thing. In the history of SoD, the truly successful guilds knew when to pull multiples instead of banging their heads against a split. Way way too often I see a guild sitting and waiting for a monk to rez and buff when they could handle the two mobs together that they are wasting an hour splitting! Ballsy guilds win the game.

a good monk will offer the raid zero down time with a constant flow of mobs into the camp.

Finally, an ability for rogues to move outside of LoS and hide to clear aggro (on mobs that don't see through hide obv) might be kind of cool.

This is essentially what the AA Escape gives them, but its cooldown is super long and the ability itself has no chance to fail, so it is not suited to the job. Still, some line-of-sight-based Rogue method of at least lending a hand in the splitting process would be a cool addition. (I'm laughing to myself thinking of the robed Iksars in Spires of Saitha following after a Rogue who had just tapped them on the shoulder, muttering to themselves, "Huh? Whose footprints are these?!" like the clueless guards in Metal Gear Solid. :haw:)

Edit: There is a fourth thing. In the history of SoD, the truly successful guilds knew when to pull multiples instead of banging their heads against a split. Way way too often I see a guild sitting and waiting for a monk to rez and buff when they could handle the two mobs together that they are wasting an hour splitting! Ballsy guilds win the game.

Bad memories of sitting around for ages in NDHK as the splitters struggled for 30+ minutes just to get a start on the Empress room! :hmpf:

The way pulling works in this game is actually more heavily skill based than live and it's one of the quirks of this game and a lot of raid zones are designed around it. I am against adding pathing personally, but it wouldn't exactly break my heart either. I just think there's more important issues to be attended to.

Bad memories of sitting around for ages in NDHK as the splitters struggled for 30+ minutes just to get a start on the Empress room! :hmpf:

or about 2 minutes with lleoc

Last edited:
This is essentially what the AA Escape gives them, but its cooldown is super long and the ability itself has no chance to fail, so it is not suited to the job.

Ya rogues escape on live after aa's is like 8 mins or so? they also get a smoke screen disc that is really cool you cast run grp of mobs through it and only one will follow the rogue pretty useful since theres like 5/6 + pulls in some of the xp zones on there. Never saw it used on raids tho always had bards pulling think #1 guild on my server literally had 1 monk

I always liked splitting emp room was a real challenge...

Ya rogues escape on live after aa's is like 8 mins or so? they also get a smoke screen disc that is really cool you cast run grp of mobs through it and only one will follow the rogue pretty useful since theres like 5/6 + pulls in some of the xp zones on there. Never saw it used on raids tho always had bards pulling think #1 guild on my server literally had 1 monk

I always liked splitting emp room was a real challenge...

On live Bard Speed + Fading Memories = Ultra Over Powered Pulling

Back
Top Bottom