Alchemical Requestification

Malleus2

Dalayan Elder
It was announced a while back that Maimai was going to be taking on the responsibility of tweaking alchemy. I know that the real Maimai no longer graces us with his presence, but when you do get around to assigning a new alchemy czar I have some suggestions and requests.

Unless I’m totally missing something, once you get Body by Rekaj trivial at 245 that’s it; you’re done. After having spent a ton of time and money doing the 1500 mystic ash + alcoholic broth combines to get to 245 merely being able to make BbR without failure is a small reward. As you near halfway to trivial it fails infrequently enough to serve you fine if you are trying to make potions for your tanks or a bit of cash. As most alchemists I’ve discussed it with will tell you, there is not a lot of profit in alchemy. The potions that do sell well are achievable at lower skill levels. And unless there’s a secret “Don’t buy from Malleus” club you would think Id have sold the most Rekaj of any alchemist considering my forum ad campaign, lowest price (by a large margin) and nightly /auctions of my wares. Assuming that’s the case the Rekaj market is a bust. Ive had 10+ 10 dose on my vendor for 2 weeks of new ad etc and sold 1. I did 4 stacks of combines for one other person and gave a bunch to my guilds tanks. Still they move so slowly I have amassed over 100 mystic ash waiting for a need to make more for my vendor.

Im not looking for Alchemy to be hugely profitable Id just like there to be a reason to work the skill up other than the last potion being trivial. Dont get me wrong, alchemy as a skill has great utility. It would be nice if spending the time to be the best you can at something meant you could obtain a greater level of utility. All that said Id like to request that alchemy be finished to the rank of grand master. With that title I would like to see the ability to make 50 dose potions as mentioned here:

Wiz said:
I wouldn't be opposed to simply combining 5 10 doses into a 50 dose, but it's a lot more work than it seems because I'd have to make a new version of every potion + a new recipe for every 50 dose.

So don't expect it to be high priority.

To reduce the amount of potions to be created Id suggest only making the top level of any type of potion be combinable into the 50 dose. The large vial resists, greater stats, superior mana and health, named potions and the one offs like gate would be less than half of the total number of items to create.

Now on to how to get alchemists to 250

Due to the fact that every time fixing the resist all potion is mentioned there is little response from the staff I get the impression its not a popular with the devs so I have several other suggestions that wouldn’t add overly to anyone’s capability but would add a great degree of convenience.

The first two options I would want to see implemented simultaneously.

Niklothar’s Elixir – 45-50 PR and DR. Like the Greater Resist potions it is derived from it stacks with Talisman of Niklothar. The only time I’ve used the 10 dose PR I pack around with me is as a junk buff when I’m feeling lazy. This saves you a bag slot and keeps you covered the very rare time you need a little extra PR. Recipe something like: 2 nightshade, 2 mullein, 1 alkaloid suspension, 1 item with drop rate and site similar to mystic ash.

Elixir of the Seasons – 45-50 FR and CR. Like the Greater Resist potions it is derived from it stacks with Shroud of Seasons. How many encounters do you need both FR and CR at the same time? Rare if ever people are going to gain anything more than a freed up bag slot from this 2-in-1 buff. Additionally as a top end potion its not going to be in wide spread use. Recipe something like: 2 allspice, 2 benzoin, 1 alkaloid suspension, 1 same dropped item as Niklothar’s Essence.

Alternately if you did want to add an improvement due to higher difficulty a version of Rekaj with 20 to 30AC thereby saving tanks a buff slot. I favour this less as only tanks will really make use of this. Additionally I could see it starting at a higher skill level and not being trivial at 250(though potentially trivial if alchemy gets tradeskill modifying items). Recipe something like: 1 mystic ash, 1 alcoholic broth, 1 rockweed, 1 additional item of a suitable difficulty to obtain (tho I pray not near as much work as farming ash)

As a third option a gate potion that would take the user to the Mansion of Portals. This gets you to MoP one zone quicker than anyone with city click neck or any caster bound in a city. Recipe something like: 1 item with appropriate drop rate, 1 alkaloid solvent (same as gate and helps keep the cost down as it is more likely to sell to lower level players who haven’t gotten gate necks)

Finally, Im sure with all the talented people you have on staff there are some great ideas to fill this gap.

As far the time to code the 50 dose recipes and items I offer my services. I work as a network technician and have done scripting in a network environment. I also had courses in object oriented programming with Javascript in my schooling. If you decide on a what you want to see implemented in that gap and have someone give me an example of how its coded and the values you want used I’m sure I can bang out the items for you. If my meager skills are inadequate or you see my doing the work as conflict of interest as Im driving this initiative I volunteer Woldaff. I will compensate him by catching a ferry over to where he lives and buying him a few beers.

Im sure others will have much to contribute here...

Thankyou for your time.

Re: Achemical Requestification

I offer my full supportsitude for your requestimation. Making the trade skills friendlier to the people who do them is never a problem and you deserve something for all your hard work!!

this is a well thoughtout post that should be at the least acknowledged instead of gradually sinking into forum obscurity.

I agree with pretty much everything said in Malleus' well thought out post. I also think that many of the other tradeskills need looking at (Hi, half finished baking).

Maimai going MIA right after getting the trade skill guru job left a couple of them in a bit of a bind. Alchemy is also a particularly intensive tradeskill to work on just because of the amount of effects, items and recipes required to make what would be considered by a player to be a single recipe.

I really am not in a position to comment too much on trade skills since it is mostly Wiz's shtick. Dont think that the fact that he hasnt replied means he isn't going to. He is very busy irl atm and a post like this one deserves a well thought out reply and not a quick thing he can throw out in between studying.

The recipe ideas Malleus gave are great imo. A mix of those three would be almost enough to fill out the ranks alone.

I expected an official reply from Wiz (or Xeldan) might be slow in coming due to his busy schedule and obvious priority needs. What I didnt expect is the absolute apathy on the part of other alchemists or players that use potions regularly. I doubt Wiz would want to put in the time to code this up (or delegate one of the other busy devs) if Im the only person showing interest in its implementation.

Are there no other alchemists out there who would like to eventally attain Grand Master status?
Are there no potion users out there that would like to see a handy 50 dose size?

i wish it wasn't so many clicks. My poor wirsts and figers kill me after a session of skilling up (40+combines for s skillup =bleh) So what, combine 5 10 dose into 1 50 dose? Sounds good to me!

The better option seems to be to have 3 higher tier resistance potions:

MR / AC
FR / CR
PR / DR

That eliminates the need for a rekaj 2, and means MR isn't left out either.

Something else I had a mind to do was a 250 combine CH potion with something like a 24 hour recast. Self-cotb in a bottle, but hideously expensive.

I would be all about a 50 dose potion size, and willing to pay more to alchemists for the extra effort needed to crank them out.

I would have been happy with PR/DR and CR/FR so anything over and above that is a bonus. I mostly want to be able to finish the skill off. Having more useful potions at my disposal will be great :)

The cheal potion sounds delicious. Im sure many a tank is drooling at the thought of that one.

Still undecided on implementing 50 dose at any stage in the skill progression?

I LOVE the sound of a ch pot mr/ac isnt a bad idea if it stacks buuuut.

I do not like the sound of filling out alchemy with just fr/cr pr/dr unless theres a little bit of a boost over 45 of the other potions. The reason why is because when do you ever need 2 resists people argue 1 fight gibbertwick, I mean its nice and all but I'd love to see more diversity as apposed to seeing resist potions combined at a higher skill.

Wiz said:
Something else I had a mind to do was a 250 combine CH potion with something like a 24 hour recast. Self-cotb in a bottle, but hideously expensive.
Giving a cleric class aa to everyone! I do not agree.

guyvertoo said:
obviously. I still do not think that is very balanced.
If it was self only, 24 hour recast, and on the same target based recast as CoTB, it would be fine.

guyvertoo said:
obviously. I still do not think that is very balanced.

It's a 250 skill CH potion that is hideously expensive and has a 24 hour recast, the tank has to have an open inventory slot at all times and has to time it perfectly so as not to waste it.With these inherent limitations I fail to see how this is remotely overpowered.

Back
Top Bottom