Add lower level challenges and server reset?

Mastabrad

Dalayan Adventurer
I really enjoyed playing Shards, I feel bad because I spent a bit of money on the Everquest progression servers when my best experience was actually shards.

So I have a few suggestions, my favorite times were leveling up and trying the new unique zones like undead kaladim and raiding was great too, best raiding in an mmo I've done.

So my idea is add low level challenges, for groups or solo content, you can only do them at that level or lower and higher levels cannot zone in. Challenges would be optional but give a charm with unique stats. Make them tradeable so higher levels could buy them. Have challenges at lvl 5-10-20-30-40. People would hang around those levels and group up more often. Make the items strong enough but not very raid impacting. Like clicky illusions, move speed, % items. Clicky skill items like ports. 1 10slot 100% reduction bag. 5%hp or 5% mana. 5% more experience.

Then I think it was mentioned not to have a server reset, but if there was a large balance patch and a few new zones. I think a lot of people would be fine with a reset. It just seems to add so much more value to characters that are much farther ahead than others while on a fresh progression server. Instead of people just trying to get acc info for ringer information. With the raid progression everything would be done again instead of skipping a bunch of tiers and going to kunark.

Or alternatively if you are going to make that much new content; make it and all old content level 65 and make new characters start at 65, so you can do the content at your leisure and have a bigger pool of potential group mates.

Hey you know those characters people spent years questing and leveling up? Yeah fuck those characters and the work those people spent.

You think wrong if most ppl would be fine with a server reset.

Look at it this way, if a new player wanted back into the game, starting fresh, he becomes max level and is fresh into raiding. He has nothing, no gear and what will eventually happen is he will get account info to double box a very high geared character. Now, is he even still playing his main or just tagging along now with a character that isn't even his, just so he can be useful in the raid.

Nobody stands out because most of the community is super geared up. So actually, all that work you did for years, everyone else done it too and it's the norm.

So, if there was a reset, it would bring some competitive raiding and the power of gear would be more important. Also not many players have the strats for lower tier fights as everyone is past that.

Or it'd cause the most of the remaining seasoned players to quit, as every other nerf has moved more and more away. What you really want is to say, "Hey seasoned player X, make an alt with me and let's make a guild... oh I don't know, let's call it <Vintage> and experience the game." Instead you're saying, "Hey seasoned played X, I don't like you having a better toon than me, so I want the dev's to delete it. Fuck you and fuck your work." A server reset is good for you and like 5 other ppl. That's it. Stop being a fucking idiot.

Even if the server was reset, you'd see the same stratification after a year or so due to previous experience and time. I do not think a server reset will solve the issues you brought up. There might be other ways to manage the issues (if they need managing), but a server reset is a bit extreme and I feel ultimately would not have the desired effect. I speak from personal experience and things that are currently ongoing in game that you do not need to box higher characters to progress and you can b a fresh 65 and still join a guild and get into raiding.

Funny how a suggestion brings people to swearing, it is difficult to discuss a topic with proper insight and consideration instead of resorting yourself to a lower level intelligence.

So my idea is add low level challenges, for groups or solo content, you can only do them at that level or lower and higher levels cannot zone in. ... Have challenges at lvl 5-10-20-30-40. People would hang around those levels and group up more often.

There are already a number of level-capped challenges -- Cesspits, Runnyeye, Simple T-maps, Adepts -- imo people don't hang around lower levels because (1) exp is relatively fast and (2) it feels like you're wasting exp when you sit with xplock on for a specific Adept/T-map/etc. Having more level-capped content won't solve that.

Challenges would be optional but give a charm with unique stats. Make them tradeable so higher levels could buy them.

Most high levels who wanted w/e this loot would be would twink a toon of the appropriate level and go farm it.

Make the items strong enough but not very raid impacting. Like clicky illusions, move speed, % items. Clicky skill items like ports. 1 10slot 100% reduction bag. 5%hp or 5% mana. 5% more experience.

Clicky items with charges could be interesting I suppose. 5% hp or mana would be significantly raid impacting.

Then I think it was mentioned not to have a server reset, but if there was a large balance patch and a few new zones. I think a lot of people would be fine with a reset.

There is definitely a set of people who want a reset. There is also a set of people (larger as far as I can tell) who would leave and never come back.

Instead of people just trying to get acc info for ringer information. With the raid progression everything would be done again instead of skipping a bunch of tiers and going to kunark.

Or you could make a progression guild?

a complete rehaul of basic game wide quests that are broken with no one to fix them.

I'm curious, what quests are you thinking about? There's some weird script thing going on with dialogue of quests in 2.5 but I can't really think of game-wide broken quests (unimplemented ones of course).

Look at it this way, if a new player wanted back into the game, starting fresh, he becomes max level and is fresh into raiding. He has nothing, no gear and what will eventually happen is he will get account info to double box a very high geared character. Now, is he even still playing his main or just tagging along now with a character that isn't even his, just so he can be useful in the raid.

Going back to your original "add more low level content" pitch -- the type of person who rushes to 65 w/o doing adepts/t-maps/buying boe's -- is probably going to still be in this same situation, only now he won't be used at all (i.e., 18 people who actually put work into their toons will be raiding). The biggest thing for toons being able/ready to raid is just putting work/time into them.

Nobody stands out because most of the community is super geared up. So actually, all that work you did for years, everyone else done it too and it's the norm.
The people who stand out (for me) are the ones that pay attention and press buttons correctly. 100% certain this would be the same with a reset.

So, if there was a reset, it would bring some competitive raiding and the power of gear would be more important.

Raiding is already competitive at certain tiers -- a wipe would just shift that competition from T10+ content to T4-5 (i.e., relic droppers). Earlier you've basically been saying that gear is too important (the whole, people boxing higher toons because their own gear sucks thing), and now you are wanting gear to be more important.

Also not many players have the strats for lower tier fights as everyone is past that.
Low-tier strats generally speaking are pretty easy to figure out. TBH until you reach like T10+ most strats are pretty simple. Also (assuming veteran players don't just quit) you don't necessarily need a strat if you've done enough fights to recognize mechanics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom