A question on +skill items

darksabbath

Dalayan Master
Specifically, this question is on items that add +1hs, +h2h, etc. I recently bought a haste cloak for my twink rogue(lvl 48). Specifically I bought a bloody cloak of the offering, with +10 pierce on it, and saw his attack jump about 60 points. Obviously, his pierce skill is capped at 200, due to level. That got me thinking about how much it made a difference, and I swapped to my beastlord, who has the charm of the brute equipped (+10 str, +15 h2h). I figured that if +10 gave 60 attack, I expected the charm to give my bst +100 attack (90 from the h2h, 10 from str). To my surprise, his attack only changed by +9, from the loss of strength, when I un-equipped it. The only difference is that the beastlord has max h2h skill. I tested it on fomelo, and the change was the same there.

Now my question is, is this a game bug, where it isn't recognizing the bonus? Or is it an overall display glitch? Or is it really not working, once you cap the skill at 250? Seems strange that it affects attack before 250 skill, but not after. ATM, I don't have a parser installed (laptop and all), so I can't test it myself.

Also, if it truly is working, and just a display glitch, then why isn't there another charm with h2h skill bonus on it? (Like archery/backstab charms upgrade, later.)

Specifically, this question is on items that add +1hs, +h2h, etc. I recently bought a haste cloak for my twink rogue(lvl 48). Specifically I bought a bloody cloak of the offering, with +10 pierce on it, and saw his attack jump about 60 points. Obviously, his pierce skill is capped at 200, due to level. That got me thinking about how much it made a difference, and I swapped to my beastlord, who has the charm of the brute equipped (+10 str, +15 h2h). I figured that if +10 gave 60 attack, I expected the charm to give my bst +100 attack (90 from the h2h, 10 from str). To my surprise, his attack only changed by +9, from the loss of strength, when I un-equipped it. The only difference is that the beastlord has max h2h skill. I tested it on fomelo, and the change was the same there.

Now my question is, is this a game bug, where it isn't recognizing the bonus? Or is it an overall display glitch? Or is it really not working, once you cap the skill at 250? Seems strange that it affects attack before 250 skill, but not after. ATM, I don't have a parser installed (laptop and all), so I can't test it myself.

Also, if it truly is working, and just a display glitch, then why isn't there another charm with h2h skill bonus on it? (Like archery/backstab charms upgrade, later.)

Display glitch

hmm

i made a post on this as well.. if you want to search for it, it is in the classes/gear section.

i had the same issue..

when wearing charm of the brute, i didnt get any extra attack power from High paw's Hand..

i ran parsers and they didnt show any increase in DPS either past the +15 from charm of the brute.

so.. it seems bugged to me.. but until i do a super long parse and parse myself without any H2H bonus as well ( to gauge how much the increase is with High Paw's Hand without charm, to ocmpare ) i will not be entirely sure.

it is dissapointing either way.. i was going for a high dps output build

I'd have to remove my earring with my MQ aug to remove all my +h2h items. Charm was a quick and easy way to compare. I really hope it is just a display glitch, but I'd love some dev confirmation on that.

When it comes to how much damage your blows finally lands for, final weapon skill is crazy important. But it does not directly affect your base ATK.

Your final Offense skill does though. I'm not sure if that displays correctly either.

Last edited:
OK thanks :)

With that out of the way. how come there is no other charm with h2h on it? Looks like I sacrifice that to upgrade now. :(

haha I also have the +1bane dmg to humanoid range item from the tmaps...so if anyone wants to direct me to a parses and maybe provide my ranger a 65 punching bag I'd be willing to afk for a while and parse things out

haha I also have the +1bane dmg to humanoid range item from the tmaps...so if anyone wants to direct me to a parses and maybe provide my ranger a 65 punching bag I'd be willing to afk for a while and parse things out

Bane damage on a range item will not affect damage done with melee weapons =(

If it did, then every rogue out there would have the +2 humanoid range from EC permaequipped

Bane damage on a range item will not affect damage done with melee weapons =(

If it did, then every rogue out there would have the +2 humanoid range from EC permaequipped

So then what is the point of the ranged items with bane damage on them? The damage from that humanoid one scales with delay as i recal Wiz saying, suggesting that it does indeed work with weapons.

They actually do.

Worn Bane Damage hasn't been very prevalent in SoD and it follows a bunch of rules that pretty much no one knows about. Just in case they become more prevalent some day! it seems like something that ought to be known:

Worn (i.e., non-weapon) Bane Damage follows separate rules from on-weapon Bane Damage. Unlike weapon Bane Damage, worn Bane Damage only affects auto-attacks, not button-press attacks like Backstab or Ranged Attack. Also unlike weapon Bane Damage, worn Bane Damage is adjusted for weapon delay; at 25 weapon delay, 1 point of worn Bane Damage is worth 1 point of weapon damage. Below 25, it is worth relatively less. Above 25, it is worth relatively more. (Decimals count.)

So, any time someone tested the +1 humanoid bane ranged with a Steam-Powered Autoslicer expecting obvious results in a jump from 2 damage to 3, they figured it didn't work, because they really ended up going from 2 damage to 2.28, which is not as noticeable.

thank you for this Zaela!

Now, how about worn elemental damage?

Only affects spells as per the newer elemental damage code. No affect on melee except directly on weapons. (I don't get the rogue starfall thing either, was probably made expecting new code at the time that got put off indefinitely.. or something)

Does this include hand slot items like the Fleshbonded Fighting Claws for adding magic dmg to hand to hand weapons and empty fists?

Last edited:
I knew that poison rnage for rogue was a waste. Glad I haven't bothered. If the damage bonus on shoes doesn't affect kicks.. what does it affect? Or is it just as useless (or moreso) as the rogue poison range?

BTW, thanks Cyzaine and Zaela for all the help understanding this stuff :)

looking at parses on a bunch of different stuff with like, 15000ish attempts piercing (with between +13 and +18 mod), 2000ish backstabs (+25 mod), 13000ish slashes (0 mod), backstab was significantly more accurate (up to 6%), piercing was next accurate, slashing last

I did parse the +2 humanoid ranged item and saw an increase. I had my monk punching a 65 druid. The average hit was only like 20ish because of the druid's damage reduction AAs, but the average hit did go up by 2 or so with the bane damage ranged. I just don't think it's worth losing the massive hp/ac/stats/saves/crit/etc a real ranged item gives. If other items were created in the future that were better itemized with bane damage then it would be worthwhile, especially after you're capped with atk, crit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom