A couple of questions, if I may.

Dreakon

Dalayan Beginner
Hey guys, I think I want to give this a try. I loved ... that game... (why is it censored?)... back in the day. However, before I go buying any Titanium or Anniversary editions, I'm just curious about a few things...

My Specs:
Intel Core2Duo 2.0Ghz T5800
2gb RAM
Vista Home Premium
Intel GMA X4500HD

Questions:
1. Is this trying to be the same as ... that game... or is it attempting to be completely different? As in, the same cities, the same zones and land structures and creatures and quests and races and classes and whatnot. Maybe its just the professional looking site, but for some reason I get the feeling is this is trying to be a completely different game, just the same engine or something. Not to mention the censoring its name thing...

2. If the answer to question 1 is that it is the same as EQ, are all of the features from every expansion ever released a part of this server? I assume not, but is there anywhere to see what is included? Are any big features left out (auction house area, factions, for example), or not included yet in SoD?

3. Does SoD use the old blocky UI from when EQ was originally released or the newer customizable one?

4. Does this server include using the old models? Not only will they probably run better then the new ones included in Luclin (and beyond), but honestly, I kind of like them better. A bit more nostolgic for me.

5. Looking at my specs, and knowing I'll probably be using the old models and doing everything I can to keep the requirements as low as possible (except I want to run it in a window), do you think my laptop will be able to run SoD?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help! :)

Last edited:
1 Your specs will work.
2 Its the same engine with compleatly custom content.
3 Study the wiki and browse the forums for basic questions you might have.
4 Need titanium edition for best resualts. dont patch to live.
5 Lots of people ask UI questions. check the most recent thread on it.
6 Study the wiki for the love of jebus, double check gods / alignment and faction part so you dont make the same mistake a lot of other players made.
7 2boxing is fine, seperate accounts. their free so why not. 3boxing is not.
8 lvl 65 with an average top end AA count of 520
9 raids are 18man max
10 people like to ask the best box combo. Druid + monk / Druid + paladin / Shaman + monk / Shaman + paladin (or SK) seems to be the most favorite.

1. Completely custom content. Lore, gear, quests are all custom. Many of the zones connect differntly from live as well. It has an old live (ie pre PoK) feel to it. And despite being custom there is a great depth of content for people who want to quest, raid or just dungeon crawl with another 30 zones in the works.

2. Expansions up to GoD (if Im not mistaken, its been a while since I installed it).

3. Older UI but not the original. Lots of custom ones available as well.

4. Older models used

5. I run 2 clients in EQW on a 7 year old PC with a 1.4 GHz processor, 128MB graphics card and 1GB RAM. You will have no problem running it. Its and old game :)

Lots of really useful info in the SoD Wiki, in the Tome of Knowledge forum and the sub sections of the main SoD page introduction section.

Lots to read but it will answer a lot of questions for you.

Last edited:
I'm mainly worried about how the game will run with my crummy integrated Intel GMA X4500HD. It's not really very good for gaming.

Looks like I have a lot to learn... :p

A friend plays on ~1.5 year old Intel 965 (x3100) gfx laptop. It is slower, but it handles it just fine.

I have actually been looking to purchase a laptop with your graphics due to:

1. It will be used for "electronic book reading," SoD, and other "older games."
2. All Nvidia 8xxx graphics cards and newer have a very annoying graphics bug in first person during melee. No fix is available except playing in 3rd person.
3. All Ati Radeon cards do not have the targeting ring visible.

On the 2 and 3 above with desktops, you pick your poison. On laptops. you are stuck. But, after playing on my friend's laptop, Intel works just fine.

Well, I'm glad to hear they mainly use the older zones like the Commonlands and Freeport and Erudin, as well as older zones like the ones in Velious. I realize of course some zones will be newer (since it goes up to GoD) and hopefully won't hurt my poor laptop too much.

Plus I'm glad to hear the upcoming additions will be based around Kunark for the most part, another older place. Just crossing my fingers they never dab too much into the newer zones. :p

Any more success stories with integrated laptop videos chipsets would be appreciated, if not just to continue to ease my mind. ;)

Multiple Planes of Power zones are used, as are several from the LDoN and I think a couple from GoD expansion as well. Most Luclin zones no longer exist (lore related event) though there are a few.

Any more success stories with integrated laptop videos chipsets would be appreciated, if not just to continue to ease my mind. ;)

my old laptop had an integrated chipset and it played fine with low draw distance and no sell effects. Since I upgraded I can run whatever I like in 2 windows but I miss my target ring :(

I play on a laptop with an Intel GMA 950, and on a desktop with the AMD 780G... both are integrated and both work just fine. Two boxing works fine too.

Not true. I have an ATI Radeeon xpress 200M in my laptop, targeting rings work.

My desktop with an AGP Radeon x600 256MB has the bug, so I always simply state that "all" Ati cards do, since my radeon is relatively ancient. (Since any video card or laptop one would likely find for purchase today with Ati graphics will have the issue.)

But, this isn't the thread for this conversation.

http://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/showthread.php?t=12730&page=3

Back
Top Bottom