2013 sanctum port

Nebi

Dalayan Pious Diety
Tonight on 11/14/13 we crashed trying to do the custodian event about 3 pr 4 times. all of the times the raid was 100% alive and the mob was under 10%. Please help make a port past custodian so we can kill the mobs past him again. It was once discussed and it was left up to tao to see if this would be considered a wing. i remember him going over it and saying something along the lines of him saying that past custodian was its own wing but nothing was done.

Please think this over and actually implement it!

Sub 20% on the custodian script was an absolute mess. Mostly due to the messiness and limitations we had with scripting back when it was written. It really needs to be rewritten under the new system honestly, I think that would pretty much clear up the zone hanging if it was.

I don't have any comment on the port neck thing really, but the custodian fight should really be fixed. Having a fight that you don't kill because of something completely out of your hands is really unfun =[. And yes, I know this is largely my fault since it was my fight. For what its worth I did spend a lot a sizable amount of time trying to figure out the problem. But it wasnt apparently what exactly was the issue, at least not for me at the time.

Sub 20% on the custodian script was an absolute mess. Mostly due to the messiness and limitations we had with scripting back when it was written. It really needs to be rewritten under the new system honestly, I think that would pretty much clear up the zone hanging if it was.

I don't have any comment on the port neck thing really, but the custodian fight should really be fixed. Having a fight that you don't kill because of something completely out of your hands is really unfun =[. And yes, I know this is largely my fault since it was my fight. For what its worth I did spend a lot a sizable amount of time trying to figure out the problem. But it wasnt apparently what exactly was the issue, at least not for me at the time.

Blazewind sub 10% falls into this as well. We can no longer do the mechanics in the last phase due to lag. we have to power through and hope that blazewind doesnt move or we cant win (we also wiped 4 times last night with 18 people in the raid at the sub10% phase.)

it does suck that fights are breaking and i know some devs were looking to fix custo but asking for a port to skip the broken mob isnt the solution. i think taeshlin warrants its own port because it's a completely new tier above the rest of sanctum, the trash alone is harder than custodian. having to clear to taeshlin from sanctum port up is like 3 hours of rot/alt loot that is just horribly difficult to justify going to taeshlin for 2 loots we need but 6+ we do not.

my suggestion is to have a port clicky drop off projection of admyriz because being able to kill the two trash pulls after custo justifies a guild being back in that area since they are harder than anything prior to them in the zone.

I would agree that it seems unreasonable to make a guild pretty much complete what can be considered a full "raid" to get to their progression targets.

Most long zones already do this (PoFire has a neck in, ValorB allows you to skip to Enthann once you're qualified, every previous part of Prison has a port in of some sort... hell, imagine if you had to clear Farhags every time you wanted to do Well or Generals, that would suck and this is the same as that.

However, it would also be "fair" that each person who is being ported into the back of sanctum should have to have been present for a custodian kill just like the Nexus of the Ward is required to enter Outer Sanctum.

it wasn't a problem when other guilds were clearing the path, but right now it forces one guild to kill lower tier mobs (drakes, nz, custo) making for an untenable length to get to taeshlin (1.5-2 hrs) and beyond, and forcing that guild to take the targets better suited to a lower tier guild

I do not disagree that a new second-sanctum wing is needed.

First things first is seeing what the hell is causing Custodian to loop the zone. The crash logs are throwing out really weird information that seems to point away from the script itself. The last 20% is being rewritten in a more logical way to see if that helps, but its really a shot in the dark.

After that is done, there are plenty of arguments for splitting sanctum on the merits. Saying to skip it because it crashes is not a good solution, though!

I do not disagree that a new second-sanctum wing is needed.

First things first is seeing what the hell is causing Custodian to loop the zone. The crash logs are throwing out really weird information that seems to point away from the script itself. The last 20% is being rewritten in a more logical way to see if that helps, but its really a shot in the dark.

After that is done, there are plenty of arguments for splitting sanctum on the merits. Saying to skip it because it crashes is not a good solution, though!

When multiple people look at the script and it still doesn't work then something out of the blue should be requested. Also dont forget that for the most part most dev's dont want to touch another dev's work.

Coding an entire portion of the fight seems to be something most would not want to do.

When multiple people look at the script and it still doesn't work then something out of the blue should be requested. Also dont forget that for the most part most dev's dont want to touch another dev's work.

Coding an entire portion of the fight seems to be something most would not want to do.

The entire active dev team was working on this last night. Not wanting to touch other dev's content means not changing it without informing or talking to them. Fixing it when it is broken is another deal entirely!

Anyway, I would rather the initial effort be to fix the problem. Sanctum port effort can be after that if its something we want to do!

Hrmm, I am actually curious to hear what the problem is if you ever figure it out and are willing to share it with me. I remember spending time on the script and never being able to crack down on what exactly the problem was. Zone logs at the time were pretty unhelpful too since like you said it is actually just causing an infinite loop that brings the zone to its knees, and thus nothing really got logged (last I knew about it). If it was actually causing a crash it would have been much easier to solve.

Blazewind lagging is completely unrelated to the Custodian problem however.

The entire active dev team was working on this last night. Not wanting to touch other dev's content means not changing it without informing or talking to them. Fixing it when it is broken is another deal entirely!

Anyway, I would rather the initial effort be to fix the problem. Sanctum port effort can be after that if its something we want to do!

We did mention this not working last week and fortunately for us Tarutao was looking at my stream of the fight and saw exactly what was happening.

I think this is one of my previous streams on twitch too.

Hrmm, I am actually curious to hear what the problem is if you ever figure it out and are willing to share it with me. I remember spending time on the script and never being able to crack down on what exactly the problem was. Zone logs at the time were pretty unhelpful too since like you said it is actually just causing an infinite loop that brings the zone to its knees, and thus nothing really got logged (last I knew about it). If it was actually causing a crash it would have been much easier to solve.

Blazewind lagging is completely unrelated to the Custodian problem however.

In the last phase either you get XX amount of giants per wave or the error happens. In the error what happens is the mob spawns the giants but they never depop. He continues to keep on adding more and more giants until there are more giants than flooor.

not sure if you fixed the fight but custodian was able to be killed last night with no hiccups.

What I did notice is a few more giants in the phases before the last one (which is not a big deal and good change).

Also saw fire coming up and down so i'm not sure if you're working on BW or not but thanks if you are.

Custodian should be fixed, and Blazewind should be 95% better. From what I understand, the problem was with how location and line of sight was calculated when random location functions were triggered. Generalizing, custodian used these random location function to a much higher degree than other fights, and the geography where he did was more condusive to triggering the loop.

Blazewind should be helped from the change, but he (she?) also uses a different function that should be used sparingly a little more than sparingly... so he might still lag a bit.

Can thank Jumbers for being the one to spot and fix the problem.

a little lag isnt really the problem. the problem was when you would hit your heal (in my case) and 10 seconds later the heal would finish and everyone appeared dead. we have wiped many times at 0 percent so reducing the lag even a little bit will help us out a alot.

thank you jumbers for doing all of the work and woldaff for taking all the credit as usual.

PS: can you please look into the port past custodian . my first post on here was more /emo /teenangst beacuse we wiped so much and I didnt explain exactly why a port should be implemented.

thanks~

We did mention this not working last week and fortunately for us Tarutao was looking at my stream of the fight and saw exactly what was happening.

I think this is one of my previous streams on twitch too.

I'd like to note that we found two separate issues that needed to be addressed. The issue addressed back on October 21st was an issue that involved the part of the script that caused the thunderheads to spawn during Phase 5. In the unlikely event that The Custodian entered Phase 6 at almost the same time that a group of thunderheads spawned, the script would trigger the spawn of additional groups of thunderheads at a drastically increased rate instead of ceasing to spawn them at all. The cause of this was found and addressed before the next day.

The subsequent issues with the fight over the last week have a root cause that, while also involving the thunderheads, is unrelated to the previous cause. In fact, it was a bit trickier to determine because of how the zone geometry is and that the issue did not seem to cause a problem consistently when I tried to recreate it.

As you might expect, re-writing this entire fight with all of its moving parts in a new scripting language with separate quirks and idiosyncracies can prove to be tricky at points. It is an eventual goal, but for now, no ETA.

Back
Top Bottom