Charisma & Resists

Jame

Dalayan Beginner
I've heard all kinds of ideas about how charisma affects resist rate so I decided to find out for myself. I picked an average song (with what I consider an average resist rate) and an average blue con mob with average magic resistance. I then varied my charisma and took a large sample size at each charisma level.

NOTE: Resist rate can vary wildly depending on songs, don't pay attention to the resist rate, pay attention to how much it changes.

Charisma -- resists/attempts - resist rate
-----------------------------------------------
80 -- 112/309 -- 36.2% (I had to catch the Rotting Plague to get it this low :D )
100 -- 111/314 -- 35.3%
120 -- 89/309 -- 28.8%
140 -- 98/319 -- 30.7%
160 -- 93/312 -- 29.8%
180 -- 76/304 -- 25.0%
200 -- 79/332 -- 23.8%
220 -- 77/330 -- 23.3%
240 -- 73/303 -- 24.1%
260 -- 67/310 -- 21.6%
280 -- 50/326 -- 15.3% (I'm capped at 280)

If anyone has a large stash of negative charisma items they'd be willing to loan me, I'd love to test out a charisma of 60 & 40 as well.

It almost looks like charisma's effect runs in bands rather than linear. Here's a wild guess on my part on how this works. I'm not a math guru by any means so I'm not even going to try and put numbers to this. 280+ charisma is obviously a pretty nice place to be.

Charisma -- Resist Rate
-----------------------------------
80 - 110 -- 0% (base)
110 - 175 -- slight reduction in resists
175 - 250 -- decent reduction in resists
250 - 275 -- good reduction in resists
275+ -- excellent reduction in resists

As always, your mileage will vary!

*edited for typos*

This explains why my 75CHA shaman can't hardly slow squat. Guess I'll be CHA buffing myself and group casters more often.

It's a good part of the reason that at lvl 10 I rerolled my dwarf cleric into a high elf cleric.

I went from 65 cha base to 105 cha base and I can definitely tell you I felt a HUGE change in the resists of my lulls and other similar spells. I seemed to have been landing like 2-3 out of 10 with my dwarf against white cons at lvl 10. With my high elf, I've been able to consistently lull yellows even, at 19.

Anyway... Birlic, I think gear IS obviously very much rewarded... but I think the gms seem to be on the track of making the nicest gear no drop or level restricted... this way you have to have the skill to GET the gear in the first place, which then increases your stats. This may not be the way it is currently, but I think that's what they're aiming for...

I know they're relatively low level but I've had little to no resist problems with either of my toons, and they don't have PHENOMENAL cha or anything...

Calaran - 91 cha @ level 19
Sartera - 106 cha @ level 19

I'd say the Necro doesn't get resisted (when using the correct spell for the mob and its resists) more than 5-10% as a guess off the top of my head... of course, I have to pay attention what damage types work for those mobs... And usually if we're fighting something that has a high fire resist, I'll drop my poison-based fire/disease/poison debuff and then drop my highest Blood spell on them.

I'm sure in the higher-end game, if I still had 91 and 106 cha on these guys, I'd have problems... but knowing this, I'll probably plan my gear both around +int / +wis / +mana, AND +cha...

It may be a 'problem' but there's also a solution for it.

Birlic said:
Disappointing. I thought SoD was a game meant to reward skill not gear.
puke-rolleyes.gif

I'd actually like to hear how a resist calculation based on SKILL would work.

Wiz said:

If you can hit up, up, left, R1, down, L2, right, right, R2, up, L1 in under 1.3 secs, your spell is never resisted. For every .1 secs over, your resist rate rises by 10%.

/sarcasm off

Garluk said:
Wiz said:

If you can hit up, up, left, R1, down, L2, right, right, R2, up, L1 in under 1.3 secs, your spell is never resisted. For every .1 secs over, your resist rate rises by 10%.

/sarcasm off

No no no, it's up up down down left right left right B A start.

JayelleNephilim said:
Syrie Cinders said:
No no no, it's up up down down left right left right B A start.

Actually it's, up up down down left right left right B A SELECT start. :p

ACTUALLY, in Contra, for example, if you didn't do select in there, then you were doing the single-player code. Select was used for the 2-player code.

GAH!

Two options. We all roll a 1d20 at the house, and call wiz to comfirm for headshots. Or we just type in xyzzy, Le Old-School.

Heh, reading the replies posted here reminds me of reading the World of Warcraft forums.

Rab, Zodium, Syrie, Jayelle, Calaran, Maimai, etc all.... If you would all do me a favor in the future please, if you don't have anything substantial to contribute, please refrain from posting or just start your own thread.

Thanks,

Jame

Your comment reminds me more of the WoW Forums than any other here, for pure flaming content.

It's nice to see that there's people here with a sense of humour ... ones who can keep a thread light-hearted, instead of turning it into a flame-fest ... which it certainly seems you are trying to start

Back
Top Bottom