Zone Crash

Evensong

Dalayan Beginner
Hello, I'm new to the game, and I'm hoping someone can help.

About 70% of the time that I zone. SoD will lock up during the zoning. I will then get kicked back to the character selection screen. I am then unable to log back in on my character, the screen will go to the loading screen after character select, get locked up, and then re-kick me back to the character select screen. It will keep this up for an unknown amount of time (I try and try for about 30 mintues, then give up until about 24 hours later). I can then log back into that character.

During the time that I'm not able to log back in to the original character, I can log in under any other character I have on the account. But if I zone with that character, I will again have the zone/crash issue with that character.

Any ideas?

You either have a bad map file or the zone file itself is corrupt. Try deleting the map(s) first.

And the other thing is to try unclicking all the options in the video setting, that helped me a bit.

Stupid question since you can get in game and sometimes not crash, but do you run the stock UI? I have noticed some weird stuff when customizing UIs.

Thanks for the ideas

I do run the stock UI.

I will try deleting maps and reloading them. It seems to be something that happens in every zone connection I've tried (though at this point I've only bounced between Great Divide and East Wastes and Ogguk, the Ogre newbie zone, and Innothule (or whatever they're all named in SoD).

I'll give it a try. Thank you.

This is becoming a common problem now , zoning and freezing. Its not just a few people its the top complaint I here in guildchat from many different players. Can you inform us (SoD) if its a known issue that is being worked on or maybe you just havent had enough players post about it yet. Its very important that a player is able to zone in this game and if its not addressed im afraid its costing us new players as they will log on freeze a few times and delete sod in discust, moving on.

We are definitely aware of it. Over many months, we've had a lot of theories as to what might cause it, from network to client issues to lingering network interface code in the game. Truthfully, we have yet to find a definite answer.

What's doubly odd is some players are affected consistently, whereas some (including myself) never run across it. It's extremely frustrating I know, and I wish I had a better answer right now.

When 2.5 comes out, not only will we have a newer client, we also have totally rewritten networking code. I will be very curious to see what impact that ends up having on the population at large. The beta group is a little too small to draw any significant conclusions as to whether it's completely fixed or not, but I sure hope so.

Ok thanks for the reply. Oddly everything started to freeze often after the the tex. files changes , iirc it was for the wolves and skelly model revamps. Im not expert nor can I say for sure as its just a guess , but perhaps that needs to be looked at and tex cache option.

Used to happen to me all the time. It was 10000% worse if I had Safari or IE open in the background on my PC, or iTunes. Those three things being closed helped immensely.

If you continue to try to log in over and over, your character hasn't "cleared" from the world yet. If someone did /w all you they'd see like 4 of you online. I always had luck waiting about 5 minutes after a crash, then logging back in.

Hey, I was hoping to revive this thread a little. As of very recently (Monday, July 21st) I have started experiencing this problem. The funny thing is, I never had this problem before and I was out of town for 2 weeks before logging on again.

My exact problem is. It can take a couple attempts logging in for my first time. Maybe a 50% chance I have to close the window and reload the patcher. Every time i zone though. I lock up at "Entering ..... ...... ...... zone". I'll have to close the EQ window and restart the patcher. Has anyone figured out some ideas of clearing this up?

Thank you.

I had a similar problem a few months back with Thurgadin. Could not figure it out for a while, but it turned out to a defective in game map. If I opened the map in game, I would crash and be unable to log in that character back in. Apparently, my map had a duplicate location point that make SoD barf. Deleted the map, and all was fine after.

Yeah for whatever reason it seems to be VERY ISP-specific. I used to almost never see this problem, now with my crappier new provider, I see it a lot more frequently. I have no idea what causes it, but yes it is pretty frustrating. If it's any consolation, I see it FAR less frequently in 2.5.

Have had this problem for several months, i crash about every 2/3 zones. Pretty much just going to quit until the new client is out.

Reinstalling, port fowarding, ui settings, new router. nothing has worked.

Edit: the game doesn't crash, it just fails to ever zone and then boots me to server select.

when this happens, can you log into a new character? or another toon? (or both?)

I used to have a similar issue with Dynamic lights. i had to edit my eqclient.ini to false from true and it fixed it, but as many months passed I turned it back on and its never happened again.

(ie line to edit in eqclient.ini) if you wanted tot ry it.

ShowDynamicLights=FALSE

This zone crashing stuff is significantly better now than it use to be. At least for me. I have played a few times over the last few days and zoned quite a few times with only 1 crash.

Played using a proxy today, never crashed once when zoning. Seems to be a weird networking issue, ill try the dynamic light thing though.

Thanks.

Edit: Dynamic lights was already set to false, so no go there. Thanks anyhow.

Yeah for whatever reason it seems to be VERY ISP-specific. I used to almost never see this problem, now with my crappier new provider, I see it a lot more frequently. I have no idea what causes it, but yes it is pretty frustrating. If it's any consolation, I see it FAR less frequently in 2.5.

I logged into the Beta server to see if it would happen there. I was able to log on with no issues like I do on the Live server. but I was un-able to find a zone to zone into completely. So I really didn't get to test it.

when this happens, can you log into a new character? or another toon? (or both?)

I used to have a similar issue with Dynamic lights. i had to edit my eqclient.ini to false from true and it fixed it, but as many months passed I turned it back on and its never happened again.

(ie line to edit in eqclient.ini) if you wanted tot ry it.

ShowDynamicLights=FALSE

I will try the Dynamic lightly thing and see if that helps. Really anything to resolve this, because I can hardly get a second client on just to buff.

When you say you played using a proxy server, what do you mean? Are you talking about something like Tor, or a local socks proxy or ? I believe it to be a networking issue too, I'm just curious if it's something that I can alter and test.

i just started playing again and its seriously terrible. like i am crashing a huge amount of times

Back
Top Bottom