What are your 2.5 "Pro Tips"?

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
The new client brings with it a slew of handy conveniences, commands, and utilities. However, many of them are obscure, less than intuitive, or at least unexpected for the returning player. What are some of your own 2.5 tips that you'd like to share with fellow Dalayans?

Here are a few that I'd like to mention:
  • /rewind will move your character back to where you were X number of steps ago, allowing you to free yourself when stuck in some situations (e.g. lowbie Gnomes unable to swim out of the pool in the Mansion of Portals).
  • UI layout can now be copied across toons in-game at the click of a button! Once you've got your UI arranged perfectly on one character, simply copy that layout on any other characters you play and save yourself a lot of work. This can be accessed in the Options menu (Alt + O).
    • Bonus Protip: Create a character with a name that'll appear at the top of your list of characters in the Copy Layout window (e.g. Aardvark) and copy the UI to him/her so you don't have to scroll through the long list of characters to find the right one in the future.
Protip%201_zpstubivxj5.jpg
  • FPS can now be manually limited to minimize the game's footprint. This can even be done specifically for when the client is running in the background (i.e. you're checking the wiki or alt-tabbed to your other box). The setting can be accessed via Options > Display > Advanced.
Protip%202_zpsbi3op4m5.jpg
  • Here's one that Druids and Rangers are going to love! The Tracking window now comes with an option for realtime updates as NPCs spawn or enter/leave your range! Simply turn the option on within the Tracking window itself, as shown below. As an added bonus, I hear that this setting grants automatic skillups without the need to press the button all the time.
Protip%203_zpss8m1xbk7.jpg

Some of these may be obvious to veterans of this and more modern clients, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn these features are now at our fingertips. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you want to share, too. ;)

Within the in-game map window, there is a new button, about a third of the way down on the right, called Group. Click that and the location of your group members will be marked on the map by large, black X's. This is very handy when doing things in outdoor zones where you have to move around a lot!

Within the in-game map window, there is a new button, about a third of the way down on the right, called Group. Click that and the location of your group members will be marked on the map by large, black X's. This is very handy when doing things in outdoor zones where you have to move around a lot!
:eek: How did I go this long without realizing this?!

Can the SoD patcher set defaults for this stuff? Things like turning the group map on, disabling that annoying "allow auto duck" feature etc would be nifty.

doing things like /w all tur doesn't work. you have to use a longer version of the zone name. apros said he got /w all turr to work, i have to use /w all turruj.

never use that /invite out of zone command while in a raid. you will blow everything up and make a complicated issue way worse.

Fab4TdV.png

Bandolier for those quick switches.

Fun fact: If you use the bandolier, you can (and probably will) lose your items at some point. Taryth has stated that the staff will not replace items lost to the bandolier, and as such, you shouldn't use it. I feel like that should be a main page post, or something.

Another fun fact: Audio triggers work. Click the EQ button -> Actions -> Audio Triggers
Audio Triggers 1.png

Then just fill out all the boxes (you have to click on each one at least once) and ta-da!
Audio Triggers 2.png
In this case, every time 'lfg' appears in /say, the Alert4 audio will be played. It can be used for any phrase, though I don't know what channels it works in (I know it does *not* work through tells)

Somebody sent me a PM asking how to restore custom hotbuttons from before the client upgrade. Here's the simple process for doing that:
  1. Find and open Charactername_.ini. (e.g. Grinkles_.ini)
  2. Select (CTRL + A) and copy (CTRL + C) the contents of that file.
  3. Find and open Charactername_sod.ini.
  4. Select (CTRL + A) and paste (CTRL + V) over everything in that file.
Bingo! You'll have your 2.0 custom hotbuttons, spellsets, and even friend list just like old times the next time you load up from the server select screen. This also won't interfere with current UI placements, since that's stored in UI_Charactername_sod.ini. ;)

Last edited:
Somebody sent me a PM asking how to restore custom hotbuttons from before the client upgrade. Here's the simple process for doing that:
  1. Find and open Character_.ini.
  3. Find and open Character_sod.ini.
Bingo! You'll have your 2.0 custom hotbuttons, spellsets, and even friend list just like old times the next time you load up from the server select screen. This also won't interfere with current UI placements, since that's stored in UI_Character_sod.ini. ;)
I bet you could work this into the patcher.

1. Find and open Charactername_.ini. (e.g. Grinkles_.ini)
  3. Find and open Charactername_sod.ini.
Bingo! You'll have your 2.0 custom hotbuttons, spellsets, and even friend list just like old times the next time you load up from the server select screen. This also won't interfere with current UI placements, since that's stored in UI_Charactername_sod.ini. ;)
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
Just rename the old files to include sod on the end. Bulk Rename Utility is your friend! (Or command line if you're a nerd!)

Fun fact: If you use the bandolier, you can (and probably will) lose your items at some point. Taryth has stated that the staff will not replace items lost to the bandolier, and as such, you shouldn't use it. I feel like that should be a main page post, or something.

If this is true it should really be in the MOTD or something.

Does anyone have a reliable method for getting chat filters to stick? I seem to encounter damage shield spam, pet misses spam, and focus effect spam every single time I log in even though I've re-applied the filter settings several times to hide these. Is everyone else noticing the same thing?

Chat filter settings are stored within eqclient.ini, but everything looks fine once I open the file. All the settings seem to be properly applied within the .ini. Is there some other location where the filter settings are stored redundantly and failing to save?

Back
Top Bottom