Unused Pre-2.5 NPC Models

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
The arrival of the new client means the arrival of dozens of new and flashy NPC models, all of which I'm sure the developers are eager to put into action. However, of the ~400 models that were already available within the old client, a small number never saw the light of day in Shards of Dalaya. The reasons probably vary as to why one model or another might've slipped under the radar, and it's not as though everything has to make it into the game at some point, but I bet at least a few of them were left out as an oversight.

The following is a gallery of those unused models both so players can see what might've been yet never was and so the staff can consider these models for future implementation before they're overshadowed completely by the fancier beasts found in 2.5.

DISCLAIMER: This list is not exhaustive. It's possible I've included one or more models that actually are in the game. For instance, I have very little experience with the Plane of Disease and no experience whatsoever with Grobb Undercity, which might lead me to include mobs here that may already be found in zones such as those. If I'm mistaken on any of these, feel free to chime in. ;)

==========

Model ID: 67 "Highpass Citizen"
This is referred to as a citizen, but only one gender and texture are present -- an armored male guard.

67%20-%20Highpass%20Citizen_zpsuoybxyt9.jpg

==========

Model ID: 77 "Neriak Citizen"
This includes guard and civilian variants; no female is present.

77%20-%20Neriak%20Citizen_zpsp2xdzvol.jpg

==========

Model ID: 86 "Sphinx"
This model animates similarly to the griffin.

86%20-%20Sphinx_zpsvpxrxq56.jpg

==========

Model ID: 90 "Halas Citizen"
This model includes a male guard with a unique polar bear mask, a male civilian in working clothes, and a female civilian with a hairnet.

90%20-%20Halas%20Citizen_zpsulnhc0jr.jpg

==========

Model ID: 94 "Kaladim Citizen"
This model includes a male guard, a male civilian, and a female civilian.

94%20-%20Kaladim%20Citizen_zpsdpczbbls.jpg

==========

Model ID: 112 "Fayguard"
This model includes a male guard, a male civilian, and a female civilian.

112%20-%20Fayguard_zpspcm6wr5t.jpg

==========

Model ID: 121 "Gorgon"
This model is nearly identical to the Harpy model, but this one features animated snakes for "hair". If nothing else, this could easily be assigned to The Wind Hag to set her apart from the lesser Harpies surrounding her.

121%20-%20Gorgon_zpshtks5xck.jpg

==========

Model ID: 125 "Pegasus"
Woldo once referred to this model as "rubber legs" when we were first testing his shapeshifter NPC. Perhaps the wonky animation is what prevented it from being given a chance. There is an improved Pegasus in 2.5, though, so I doubt this one will ever be thrown into Dalaya by this point.

125%20-%20Pegasus_zpsurosxwda.jpg

==========

Model ID: 136 "Xalgoz"
I'd have thought that this model would be perfectly suited to Sharn`Ree, but as far as I recall, only a plain Sarnak is used for that encounter (despite that model's abundance in the low-level Temple of Yaralith).

136%20-%20Xalgoz_zpsmn4vozom.jpg

==========

Model ID: 144 "Burynai"
The only monster in the list with alternate textures, this fuzzy guy features an au naturel form, a suit of armor, and a tan robe with unusual markings. I believe Taryth once said he was saving this model for something special, but nothing ever came of that.

144%20-%20Burynai_zpskbcongoa.jpg

==========

Model ID: 221 "Scarlet Cheetah"
This model would've fit right in as a potential Beastlord warder for the Vah, though it wasn't so lucky. Perhaps it could find a home in the Wastes of Tarhyl or the Dreadlands.

221%20-%20Scarlet%20Cheetah_zpszfkwja3a.jpg

==========

Model ID: 235 "Mutant Humanoid"
This model resembles the undead, though perhaps a little less decomposed than your standard zombie.

235%20-%20Mutant%20Humanoid_zpsikigxuku.jpg

==========

Model ID: 237 "Recuso"
This model depicts a haggard male in tattered clothing.

237%20-%20Recuso_zpstcdvyz8s.jpg

==========

Model ID: 242 "Naiad"
This model is similar to its neighboring Nymph model (which is used for the Dryads in the Heartlands). This model doesn't seem to animate on its own, but I think this could be fixed by loading the Nymph model alongside it.

242%20-%20Naiad_zpsgvgjon8k.jpg

==========

Model ID: 312 "Water Golem"
Given how many elemental golems are found across the raid tiers, I'm surprised that this model has apparently gone unused. (Perhaps it was used in the original Thazeran's Tower? I can't recall.) If the coloring on his clothes were altered via texture editing, he could easily be recast as a "star golem" or something spacey along those lines.

312%20-%20Water%20Golem_zpsedrqzh6w.jpg

==========

Model ID: 357 "Undead Chokidai"
The living variant of this monster is found in one or two Ikisith zones, but his undead brother seems not to have made it into the game.

357%20-%20Undead%20Chokidai_zpsmc4suokc.jpg

==========

Model ID: 380 "Frozen Table"
Yep. It's a frozen table.

380%20-%20Frozen%20Table_zpshxbifvan.jpg

==========

Model ID: 382 "Coffin"
Nearly identical objects are seen in zones such as the Cesspits and Catacombs of Elthannar, but this is actually a movable NPC model and not simply part of a zone's terrain. This probably could be used with the /open command.

382%20-%20Coffin_zps2rhhlly0.jpg

==========

Model ID: 383 "Skull and Bones"
I don't know what purpose this could serve, but I'm sure I've never seen it in Dalaya.

383%20-%20Skull%20and%20Bones_zpstjackuij.jpg

==========

Model ID: 388 "Taelosian Wolf"
This monster's orange coloration gives it a slightly fiery look; it probably would've suited the Plane of Fire better than the odd-looking Sonic Wolf model that roams the entry area of that zone. It also might've made for a solid Beastlord warder.

388%20-%20Taelosian%20Wolf_zpsfu07ovay.jpg

==========

Model ID: 389 "Taelosian Amphibian Creature"
This model animates well underwater. It would have made for a much more imtimidating Lenny the Gargantuan. It would also fit in well among Siren's Grotto or Wyvernfang Coast.

389%20-%20Taelosian%20Amphibian%20Creature_zps8gdpxayb.jpg

==========

Model ID: 390 "Taelosian Mountain Beast"
This model looks like a gigantic bearded dragon. Iksar Beastlords would have loved to have this as a warder option. It could fit into any number of zones, from the Oasis to the Bloodied Quarry.

390%20-%20Taelosian%20Mountain%20Beast_zpspq2affkl.jpg

==========

Model ID: 393 "Ixt Centaur"
This model's lower half is almost comically stocky. I have no idea what purpose she could serve in Dalaya, but she's got a memorable appearance, if nothing else.

393%20-%20Ixt%20Centaur_zpshgieafhf.jpg

==========

Model ID: 394 "Ikaav Snakewoman"
Unlike the humanoid snakes found in Cyrtho Malath, this model bears a distinctly feminine appearance. With careful planning, she could find a home in that dungeon.

394%20-Ikaav%20Snakewoman_zpsprf3vfbt.jpg

==========

Model ID: 396 "Kyv Hunter"
This model looks like something straight out of Middle Earth. I'm not sure how he animates in battle, but I imagine it involves firing his bow.

396%20-%20Kyv%20Hunter_zpsnakyvy9t.jpg

==========

Model ID: 397 "Noc Sprayblood"
This model bears a rat-like appearance, but he walks on cloven hooves. He looks somewhat like the Sivakians in First Ruins, although that may only be due the body shape and pose.

397%20-%20Noc%20Sprayblood_zpseizbaur2.jpg

==========

Model ID: 398 "Ratuk Brute"
Who knew there was a pink werewolf with a sickle and glowing eyes lurking in the game files all these years?

398%20-%20Ratuk%20Brute_zps4he6wsol.jpg

==========

Model ID: 399 "Ixt"
Whoever this fellow was on Live, he must've been important. This model floats above the ground and features two swaying spiked weapons that attach at his waist. I can't imagine how he animates in battle.

399%20-%20Ixt_zpsk2etnsc3.jpg

==========

Model ID: 400 "Huvul"
I seem to recall a similar-looking monster in the Plane of Nightmare, but I think this two-headed abomination never made the cut.

400%20-%20Huvul_zpseedtqaif.jpg

==========

Model ID: 402 "Mastruq"
An orc in ketchup-and-mustard warpaint and a flowing blond ponytail? This guy might've fit in somewhere among the tribes of Tur`Ruj once upon a time.

402%20-%20Mastruq_zpsqnq8yiuw.jpg

Kyv hunter is used for halial the blind in nightmare, the skull and bones makes an appearance in Grobb Undercity, the water golem is used for Thazeran the Great Guardian in the current incarnation at the very least. I think recuso could be used for the beggar you meet in the main quest, and I like the gorgon wind hag idea. One of those furry beast models could maybe give ikisith a non scaled creature maybe.

Are these used anywhere in Dalaya? Sorry for the shoddy quality. I had to take these at night in game, which meant really murky screenshots; I tinkered with white balance to bring out the image, but the resulting colors are a bit hard on the eyes.

==========

Model ID: 41 "Gorilla" (Texture 01)
The plain black version and the white variant are used, but I have never noticed the zombified version with its face ripped off anywhere in SoD. (Sometimes this kind of gorilla was eligible for bane nukes like Ward Undead on Live!)

41%20-%20Gorilla_zpswjaoirhp.jpg

==========

Model ID: 44 "Freeport Guard"
I was told perhaps this guy shows up in the Newport Ring quest in King's Pass, but I can't recall offhand. Even if that were the case, it still wouldn't account for the model's other two texture variants.

44%20-%20Freeport%20Guard_zpspg31xrmu.jpg

==========

Model ID: 48 "Kobold" (Texture 01)
This is the second texture for the Kobold model. It's very possible that Bat-Priest Gmagh uses this texture, but I'm unsure. (He could just be a plain Kobold who is named that because he's surrounded by bats.)

48%20-%20Kobold_zpskkvrbxqj.jpg

==========

Model ID: 181 "Yak Man" (Texture 01)
The Harthuk (a.k.a. Tizmak) model has this faun as an alternate texture. Fauns have a wealth of folklore behind them, from art to music to mythology. It'd be pretty easy to adapt something for SoD if a dev wanted to draw inspiration from any of that.

181%20-%20Yak%20Man_zps7wulh4vq.jpg

==========

As before, call me out if I'm wrong on any of these and you've seen them in-game. ;)

Last edited:
Uuuughhh, just seeing those GoD models still makes me feel weird/nervous. The 399 was the end boss of GoD, which was a loot pinata compared to the zone before it. I don't remember his animations though, as I was playing a cleric then & couldn't get close to him, iirc, his spike weapons swung though.

Model ID: 398 "Ratuk Brute" would be a pretty cool upgrade to Boon of Garou.

Via an unused Enchanter Tome or future content spell release.

giphy.gif

I actually thought a lot of the GoD models looked neat-ish, they just really didn't fit live lore. That was their own dumb fault for writing themselves into a corner though.

"Well, we had them kill gods (or figmentations of the gods but it was all a dream, I don't know, Fuck You Player), guess we'll give them aliens that are better than that."

At least later on they had a demigod become a god but by then the ship had sailed and a lot of their base had moved on.

Back
Top Bottom