Twenty-five New Tome Ideas (just Read What Interests You)

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
This is a long post. I don't expect anyone to read it in full. Only read the classes/entries that interest you! :)

This post took several days to compile, and I regret that I have glossed over the Shadowknight class without offering any tome suggestions for them. However, I believe many of these ideas do have strengths to them that could potentially be considered if any staff member takes a liking to them. Tome implementation seems to be on hiatus once again (and probably for good reason -- can't wait for 2.5!), but I also realize that inspiration is often the easy part – it's the actual coding that takes real work! That said, I figured this post couldn't hurt.

Apologies for the length, but I have included TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read) summaries in green following each entry. Supplementary notes are also included to give further detail or justification. My favorite ideas are marked with blue asterisks (**).

BEASTLORD

Beast Tongue – The Beastlord’ warder is most in its element when surrounded by other companion pets. Simply fighting amidst a number of other pets inspires the warder to deal occasional critical blasts.
Rank 1: For every primary (i.e. non-swarm) pet other than itself on the target mob’s aggro list, the Beastlord’s warder gains 1% chance to deal critical blasts with melee proc effects. This bonus caps at 4%.
Rank 2: ” caps at 6%.
Rank 3: ” caps at 8%.
Rank 4: ” caps at 10%.​

TL;DR – Beastlord warder gets along well with other pets, and the sense of camaraderie allows it to deal critical spell damage.

NOTES – The BST pet getting along with other pets seems like a natural fit, lore-wise. Also, do warders ordinarily get any means whatsoever of achieving critical blasts with procs? If so, perhaps I’ve chosen the wrong target here. However, the concept could be applied to some other area….​

-----​

Master’s Duty – The Beastlord comes to cherish the unflagging obedience of his/her companion beast such that he/she feels compelled to fight through even the direst of battle conditions in order to remain by the beast’s side.
Rank 1: So long as the Beastlord’s pet lives, the Beastlord gains an innate chance to transcend death, surviving a killing blow and returning to 20% HP (NOT full health) in order to continue the fight alongside the pet. This death save will NOT activate if the pet is not present. The effect occurs at a rate of 3%.
Rank 2: ” at a rate of 6%.
Rank 3: ” at a rate of 8%.
Rank 4: ” at a rate of 10%.​

TL;DR – Beastlord feels such strong sense of duty toward warder that he/she sometimes defies death and rebounds with 20% HP.

NOTES – Note that although this would grant BSTs another form of death save, there are two catches; the warder must be alive upon death, and the BST regains only 20% HP – not full health. A flavorful emote could easily be attached to this effect.​

-----
**Parting of the Twain – In his/her final act, the slain Beastlord takes a moment to whisper gratitude in the warder’s ear, urging it to save itself. The warder listens intently on the battlefield to its master’s last words, delivers a few last blows to the opponent who slew its master, and flees as the Beastlord draws his/her final breath.
Rank 1: When killed, the Beastlord’s HP bar falls to below 0%, and the Beastlord him/herself faints. During this time, no healing or regeneration effects may save the Beastlord. However, the warder remains alive and capable of continuing the fight until the Beastlord finally slips from consciousness, at which point the warder, too, leaves the battle. The mortally wounded Beastlord is able to cling to consciousness and remain by his/her warder’s side for a period of 6 seconds.
Rank 2: ” a period of 12 seconds.
Rank 3: ” a period of 16 seconds.
Rank 4: ” a period of 20 seconds.​

TL;DR – Beastlord FDs and is made invulnerable when killed, letting pet continue to DPS a little longer until Beastlord really dies. Hallmark version: Beastlord clings to life for a few precious seconds to bid farewell to warder and then grants warder freedom with his/her dying breath.

NOTES – I know that many are not fans of benefits that only trigger with the player’s death, but at least it allows the BST to contribute partial DPS for a short while after dying! Also, there's a lot of room here for interesting emotes.​

-----​

Praise of the Beast – The Beastlord’s enthusiasm in extolling the Cunning of the Beast is overheard by those beyond the Beastlord’s intended audience. His/her words may now reach the ears of the entire raiding party, though often they achieve a less powerful effect.
Rank 1: Casting Cunning of the Beast now also has a chance to spread beyond the intended target group, resulting in either raid-wide Wrath of the Beast or, rarely, Cunning of the Beast. Wrath of the Beast triggers at a rate of 20%, while Cunning of the Beast triggers at a rate of 5%.
Rank 2: ” Wrath of the Beast triggers at a rate of 40%, while Cunning of the Beast triggers at a rate of 10%.
Rank 3: ” Wrath of the Beast triggers at a rate of 60%, while Cunning of the Beast triggers at a rate of 15%.
Rank 4: ” Wrath of the Beast triggers at a rate of 80%, while Cunning of the Beast triggers at a rate of 20%.​

TL;DR – CotB has a chance to proc either raid-wide Wrath of the Beast commonly or raid-wide CotB rarely.

NOTES – Cunning of the Beast is a rare and precious commodity on most raids, and this tome would alleviate that to some degree. Furthermore, it brings an otherwise forgotten spell (Wrath of the Beast) a little more exposure.​

CLERIC

Benevolent Vigil – The Cleric maintains watchful vigil over his allies, extending a prayer of thanks for each act of divine intervention he/she bears witness to on the field of battle. Moved by the gratitude, the gods breathe peace of mind into the Cleric.
Rank 1: For every Divine Benevolence that activates under the Cleric’s watch, the Cleric is bestowed with 3% mana.
Rank 2: ” 5% mana.
Rank 3: ” 6% mana.
Rank 4: ” 7% mana.​

TL;DR – Cleric receives mana every time DB goes off in group.

NOTES – This is purely chance-based, but I am sure any CLR would be grateful to receive a bonus spurt of mana, especially when a groupmate just narrowly escaped death! Perhaps the "prayer of thanks" should be coded as an emote, as well as the bestowal of mana. Maybe something along the lines of "Hooo kneels and says, 'The gods are merciful today, friends!'" and "You are showered with mana from the heavens!"​

-----
**Rebirth – The Cleric casts a benevolent eye upon his/her recently reborn allies, soothing their thoughts with a newfound sense of purpose.
Rank 1: Any groupmate who bears Death Fatigue in the presence of the Cleric shall regain mana 15% faster than normal.
Rank 2: ” 30% faster than normal.
Rank 3: ” 40% faster than normal.
Rank 4: ” 50% faster than normal.​

TL;DR – Anyone in Cleric’s group who has DF meds faster.

NOTES – I believe that long med times following a raid wipe are miserable for all involved, and no class is better suited to consoling those suffering from Death Fatigue than the holier-than-thou Cleric. I am uncertain if this bonus should encompass the CLR him/herself, but it probably should.​

-----
**Seraphic Scriptures – In a gesture of mercy, the Dalayan pantheon grants the Cleric an occasional glimpse into writings of the divine. A spectral tome will hover momentarily before the Cleric, and reading from its pages will hasten the Cleric’s attempts at healing so long as the tome remains.
Rank 1: Upon casting any single-target heal (not HoTs), a “Seraphic Scripture” may spawn before the Cleric. It remains for 2 ticks (12 seconds), temporarily halving the cast time of the Cleric’s single-target heals (not HoTs). The Seraphic Scripture appears at a rate of 2%.
Rank 2: ” at a rate of 3%.
Rank 3: ” at a rate of 4%.
Rank 4: ” at a rate of 5%.​

TL;DR – Cleric’s big/quick heals have chance to spawn book mob that speeds up further big/quick heals for 2 ticks.

NOTES – The idea is that a book falls from “heaven” and opens before the Cleric, who reads it and is instantly inspired by its holy words, thereby healing better for a little bit. Perhaps flavorful emotes from the Cleric could be added, such as, “Vitali’s mind surges with seraphic swiftness as the scriptures glimmer before him.” The Seraphic Scriptures “book” itself is intended to be an Invisible Man holding an open book (think the chronicler in Citadel of the Claw). Perhaps a closing emote would also be in order, such as, “The Seraphic Scriptures are whisked away by the pantheon.”​

-----
Anvil – The Cleric utilizes his expertise with divine hammers to conjure an empowered Unswerving Hammer of Faith.
Rank 1: The pet now wields a larger hammer and gains 500 HP.
Rank 2: The pet gains 22% riposte avoidance and spell damage mitigation.
Rank 3: The pet gains a further 22% riposte avoidance and spell damage mitigation (total: 44%).
Rank 4: The pet gains a final 22% riposte avoidance and spell damage mitigation (total: 66%).​

TL;DR – Hammer pet looks cooler, beefs up, and won’t die as easily/often to ripostes and AEs.

NOTES – It’d be cool to see the poor hammer pet get some use once and for all, though I’d personally prefer for one of the above tome concepts to be pursued instead. I imagine the Rank 1 mention of “a larger hammer” coinciding with the “scales of justice” weapon model used by Consecrating Mallet or Great Hammer of a Dark Influence, but this would only be an aesthetic change. Note that the 500 HP gain may seem substantial, but the CLR pet ordinarily has a baseline of something like 200 HP! Lastly, remember that this pet cannot be healed whatsoever, which is a major balancing factor here.​

DRUID

Earthen Upheaval – The earth itself stirs underfoot, giving rise to an elemental protector that will defend the Druid’s ally during the healing process.
Rank 1: Following a cast of Relic: Sihala’s Empathy, “an earthen protector” may spawn at the side of the recipient of that HoT. The protector will reduce any melee damage sustained by the recipient by 10% until the HoT expires, then return to the earth. The protector appears at a rate of 6%.
Rank 2: ” at a rate of 12%.
Rank 3: ” at a rate of 15%.
Rank 4: ” at a rate of 18%.​

TL;DR – Druid Relic HoT has chance to confer 10% damage reduction and spawns earth elemental for show.
NOTES – If necessary, “an earthen protector” could be coded as a swarm pet targeting the Warrior. This isn’t the most exciting tome idea, but it would add a secondary utility to the Relic HoT. I was a bit wary of a tome that hinges on the player already having a Relic, but the concept could not be extended to the other DRU HoTs without being imbalanced, given that the Relic HoT is the only one with the short 3-tick duration.​

-----
Frog Song – The Druid calls upon the sounds of Nature to train his/her frog ally in the art of song. The frog hums, croaks, drums, and froaks its fledgling talent with unabashed pride, bringing tranquility to the Druid’s party between battles.
Rank 1: The pet summoned by Spell: Earthshaper’s Behest sings Swampsong for the Druid and his/her group every time the group is out of combat. The resulting song enters the spell window of any groupmates within range, resulting in improved mana regeneration over the usual cap by a rate of 2 extra mana per tick.
Rank 2: ” 4 extra mana per tick.
Rank 3: ” 5 extra mana per tick.
Rank 4: ” 6 extra mana per tick.​

TL;DR – Frog sings overcap med buff for group during downtime.

NOTES – Again, a tome to help with downtime. Who doesn’t love a singing frog?​

-----
**Frogspawn – The Druid’s frog ally undergoes parthenogenesis, giving rise to a newborn frog that follows its mother indefinitely. Although the newborn is too young to lend aid, its sheer presence triggers new maternal instincts in the parent that heighten and refine her will to survive the trials of combat.
Rank 1: Spell: Earthshaper’s Behest will now summon a smaller, secondary frog that follows the main pet. The mother frog gains 30% riposte avoidance.
Rank 2: The mother frog gains 10 Damage Reduction.
Rank 3: The mother frog produces 30% less aggro.
Rank 4: The mother frog gains a further 10 Damage Reduction (total: 20).​

TL;DR – Frog has baby and learns what’s important in life.

NOTES – If necessary, the little frog could be coded as a swarm pet targeting the main DRU pet. It should probably be coded to be invulnerable since it doesn’t partake in the combat experience anyway.​

-----
Lifegiving Lycanthropy – The Druid learns to unleash his/her inner animal, taking on the form of a lycanthrope at will. This primal form grants the Druid greater control over Nature’s heal-over-time magic at the expense of the Druid’s own stamina. Upon reverting to native form, the Druid will remain exhausted for a short period.
Rank 1: When the Druid enters /style 4, Lycanthropy, the very first HoT that the Druid lands will trigger an instantaneous change to the form of a large Werewolf. The stance cannot be canceled once initiated. In this form, all HoTs bestowed by the Druid will register as exceptional heals for a fixed period of 12 seconds, after which point the Druid loses all stamina in exhaustion. The Druid may not re-enter the stance until the exhaustion period passes.
Rank 2: ” for a fixed period of 18 seconds ”.
Rank 3: ” for a fixed period of 24 seconds ”.
Rank 4: ” for a fixed period of 30 seconds ”.​

TL;DR – Druid turns into big Werewolf, crits all HoT ticks for a little bit, then is exhausted.

NOTES – Lycanthropy is center stage for DRUs in many games, though for whatever reason it has not taken hold here. I’m not sure if the above figures are overpowered, but perhaps the numbers and/or mechanic could be rejigged without scrapping this concept. The buff should probably either be script-based or go to the Songs window. Also, to distinguish the form from the typical association with the Enchanter spell, I envision the Werewolf form coming with a size adjustment, possibly somewhere around #size 7 or so (which I believe is larger than any DRU-enabled race).​

ENCHANTER

**Assimilation – In an act of desperation, the Enchanter imposes his/her form on the entire group or raid force with the exception of Paladins, Shadowknights, and Warriors. All recipients temporarily bear the Enchanter’s outward gender, race, and clothing in order to redirect attention back to any present Paladins, Shadowknights, and/or Warriors.
Rank 1: The Enchanter gains /style 4, Assimilation. Upon activation, all non-tanks in the group or raid are forced to appear as the Enchanter for a period of 24 seconds, during which time all aggro, save that of tank classes, is instantly reduced by 300. The effect utilizes no buff slot and will not overwrite any illusion buffs. This stance cannot be canceled once activated, and it immediately exhausts the Enchanter’s stamina. Exhaustion following this stance lasts for 30 minutes.
Rank 2: ” 24 minutes.
Rank 3: ” 18 minutes.
Rank 4: ” 12 minutes.​

TL;DR – The whole raid except tanks will turn into Grinkles clones temporarily; all non-tanks lose 300 aggro. Also, it won’t use a buff slot or mess with illusion buffs.

NOTES – The illusion component would need to be script-based or else everyone in the raid would hate the ENC. A fun emote could probably also accompany the effect, such as, “Suddenly everyone is a [Race of ENC]!” The novelty of a raid of clones running about would probably never wear off! However, I’m unsure of the long-lasting exhaustion mechanic; it could possibly be handled some other way. I don’t like the thought of regularly going about unable to jump for long periods of time. (Gnomes have to do more jumping than most races, you know!)​

-----​

Little Book of Charms – The Enchanter hones his/her studies relating to Word of Command, allowing for the manipulation of even more powerful foes.
Rank 1: The level cap on Word of Command is raised from 58 to 59.
Rank 2: ” from 59 to 60.
Rank 3: ” from 60 to 61.
Rank 4: ” from 61 to 62.​

TL;DR – Enchanter’s long-duration charm can go up to level 62.

NOTES – A cut-and-dry improvement to the ENC’s favorite charm spell. No frills, but I could see a lot of players getting excited over this.​

Alternatively,
Rank 1: The level cap on Word of Command is raised from 58 to 59.
Rank 2: The resist adjust on Word of Command is lowered from 70 to 40.
Rank 3: The level cap on Word of Command is raised from 59 to 60.
Rank 4: The resist adjust on Word of Command is lowered from 40 to 20.​

TL;DR – Enchanter’s long-duration charm is harder to resist and can go up to level 60.

NOTES – A variation on the same tome. I was unsure if 8-minute charm on level 62 monsters might be regarded as overpowered, so I compromised for 60 here and included an adjust to the resist check instead.​

-----​

**Mirrorplay – The Enchanter imbues the very fabric of his/her own robe with illusion. Any melee hit sustained by the Enchanter carries a chance of splitting the caster’s image in the form of an illusionary body double that will aim to confuse the attacker and divert attention away from the true Enchanter.
Rank 1: The Enchanter gains an innate melee reactive proc that, when activated, will spawn a perfect copy of the caster. This body double will remain in place for 12 seconds and will carry out various (nonfunctional) emotes to “divert” the attacker’s attention away from the Enchanter, thereby lowering the Enchanter’s aggro. Each time a copy spawns, the Enchanter instantly loses 200 aggro. The innate reactive component carries a 6% proc rate.
Rank 2: ” carries an 11% proc rate.
Rank 3: ” carries a 15% proc rate.
Rank 4: ” carries an 18% proc rate.​

TL;DR – Enchanter has chance to clone himself when whacked, loses aggro while silly clone waves and dances at enemy.

NOTES – This is an altered rehash of a tome idea I concocted previously. The concept of the ENC conjuring up a mirror image a la AD&D is too perfect to resist. Plus, there’d be lots of room to code in flavor with the body double, such as goofy emotes or dialogue (Grinkles`s Mirror says, ‘You must be blind as a Barbarian! I’m over here!’).​

-----​

Shattered Shelter – When the Enchanter’s animation is struck down in battle, its shield shatters and whirls about the Enchanter in a protective anti-magic Rune.
Rank 1: When the animation dies, the Enchanter autocasts a 400-point anti-magic Rune on him/herself. Dismissing the pet will not trigger this effect.
Rank 2: ”a 700-point anti-magic Rune ”.
Rank 3: ”a 1000-point anti-magic Rune ”.
Rank 4: ”a 1200-point anti-magic Rune ”.​

TL;DR – Animation pet dies and Enchanter instantly gains spell Rune.

NOTES – It’s easy to imagine the animation sacrificing its shield in the end to protect the ENC from magic damage. Furthermore, the class does not ordinarily get even a single Rune that works against spell damage, so this would open a new possibility for the class. However, buff space may be an issue…. An emote could also accompany this effect, such as, "[Pet Name]'s shield shatters, wrapping [ENC Name] in an anti-magic bulwark."​

MONK

**Befuddling Deathplay – Even when the Monk fails to convince enemies in feigning death, the attempt nonetheless confuses them momentarily.
Rank 1: A failed Feign Death stuns all the Monk’s aggressors for a brief time before they catch on and resume the assault. Enemies will not attack the Monk following a failed Feign Death attempt until 1 second has passed. This effect only takes place if the Monk is the sole target on an NPC’s aggro list.
Rank 2: ” until 2 seconds have passed. ”
Rank 3: ” until 3 seconds have passed. ”
Rank 4: ” until 4 seconds have passed. ”​

TL;DR – Failed FDs are followed by a brief grace period that may help the Monk survive until the FD button repops.

NOTES – MNK deaths during tricky splits do nothing but slow the group or raid’s progress, and oftentimes it doesn’t come down to skill but simply to luck! This tome aims to add survivability to MNKs when they see the dreaded “Sabuti has fallen to the ground” message. However, what's the actual refresh time on the FD button at high-end? The 4-second figure by Rank 4 might actually be excessive, depending....​

-----
Convincing Death – The Monk heightens his/her ability to produce a convincing feigned death. So long as the Monk is the sole aggressor in sight, all nearby enemies will discontinue any spell mid-cast immediately once Feign Death is activated, convinced that the Monk truly has died.
Rank 1: A successful Feign Death will interrupt the spellcasting of all aggroed enemies at a rate of 15%.
Rank 2: ” a rate of 30%.
Rank 3: ” a rate of 40%.
Rank 4: ” a rate of 50%.​

TL;DR – Monk FD has a chance to interrupt all enemies’ spells at once as long as Monk is only person on their aggro list (i.e. during pulls/splits).

NOTES – Another FD-themed tome. I would say this should be coded such that the spell interrupt check is applied to ALL NPCs at once, not calculated and applied on a mob-by-mob basis. Otherwise, such a tome would lose a great deal of its appeal and utility.​

RANGER

Blackfeather Recruit – The Ranger’s raven companion recruits an understudy from its homeland. The understudy hovers by the Ranger’s side, watching the master raven’s every move in battle until the time comes for the understudy to swoop into battle and succeed its former master.
Rank 1: The Ranger may gain a secondary raven that follows him about indefinitely until the primary raven is slain, at which point the secondary raven instantly respawns to take its place in combat. This new raven assumes all buffs the previous raven had upon death. An understudy will spawn at the Ranger’s side once the primary raven pet has remained alive for a period of 40 minutes.
Rank 2: ” a period of 30 minutes.
Rank 3: ” a period of 20 minutes.
Rank 4: ” a period of 10 minutes.​

TL;DR – If raven lives long enough, a second raven spawns and follows Ranger. New raven takes place of old raven when old one dies. New raven gets all of old raven’s buffs.

NOTES – The “recruit” raven could simply be coded as a non-functional swarm pet targeting the Ranger; this way, it would follow the Ranger indefinitely while also allowing the illusion of him having a second pet. Perhaps the second raven “replacing” the new raven should be coded such that the swarm pet despawns and the actual pet simply respawns with 100% life and refreshed buffs. It could also “respawn” at the Ranger’s side and then swoop into battle to further sustain the illusion of a new raven entering the fray.​

-----
**Blackfeather’s Second Wind – As the raven companion foresees its impending doom, it spreads its wings in a dramatic display. A gust of blood-curdling cold encompasses the bird as it crumples to the floor in mock death, where it basks in the refreshing chill as its wounds heal.
Rank 1: Just before being slain in battle, the raven drops to 1% HP, casts Chill Bones on its target, and falls to the floor in feigned death. In this state, it is impervious to damage but will cease all combat. It regenerates 20% HP per tick until it reaches full health, at which point the raven rebounds and re-engages combat. The raven is able to foresee its own doom and feign its death 20% of the time.
Rank 2: ” 40% of the time.
Rank 3: ” 50% of the time.
Rank 4: ” 60% of the time.​

TL;DR – Raven casts decent cold nuke on enemy when raven is about to die. It FDs and regenerates for 30 seconds, then resumes combat.

NOTES – The idea is that the raven is pushed to the brink of death, flaps its wings to summon a cold spell, and plays dead on the floor while the cold washes over its body, renewing its vigor. This tome would mean the RNG pet wouldn’t need to be resummoned as frequently, and the Chill Bones nuke does a bit of damage to somewhat offset the upcoming 30 secs during which the raven’s archery debuff will be missing from the enemy. When FDed, the pet should probably be made invulnerable so that it cannot be healed or damaged (i.e. interrupting the natural flow of the tome effect). Emotes galore are possible here, such as, "Pidgeotto shakes off the chill and takes to the air."​

-----​

Swift on the Wing – The Ranger trains his/her avian companion in evasive aerial maneuvers.
Rank 1: The raven gains 15% riposte avoidance and spell damage mitigation.
Rank 2: ” 30% ”.
Rank 3: ” 45% ”.
Rank 4: ” 60% ”.​

TL;DR – Raven will die to ripostes and AEs less frequently.

NOTES – 60% probably seems like a heavy number, but bear in mind how wimpy the bird actually is! Anyway, the numbers could be adjusted as seen fit.​

SHADOWKNIGHT

NOTES – Sorry SHDs, but I’ve been working on this post for hours and hours over the past three days, and I simply couldn’t come up with much worth posting for this class. Perhaps I’ll make a supplementary post in the coming days.​

WARRIOR

**Battle-Visions of Yore – Wondrous battle tales of the predecessors or yore trigger nostalgic visions in the Warrior. Occasionally, the Warrior sees a glimpse of a former guildmaster on the field of battle and imagines fighting alongside them, bolstering the Warrior’s combat defenses.
Rank 1: The Warrior gains an innate proc that summons a vision of a random Warrior guildmaster from across Dalaya. The perceived guildmaster raises sword and shield at the Warrior’s side, strengthening the Warrior’s willpower to endure the blows of combat. The vision is sustained for 10 seconds, during which time the Warrior gains a 15% bonus to Armor Class. The Warrior witnesses these random visions at least once per 60 minutes.
Rank 2: ” at least once per 40 minutes.
Rank 3: ” at least once per 30 minutes.
Rank 4: ” at least once per 20 minutes.​

TL;DR – Random guildmaster spawns by Warrior every once in a while, upping Warrior’s AC for 10 seconds.

NOTES – I like the idea of giving guildmasters a bit more relevance in Dalaya. The idea is that they aren’t really there, but are instead simply visions whose perceived presence nonetheless strengthens the Warrior. They could possibly be coded with flavorful emotes relating either to their city of origin, their race, or some aspect of Dalayan history in which they participated. If a bonus to AC seems to be the wrong target, the mechanic could easily be applied to any other form of bonus without sacrificing the concept.​

-----​

Damnatio Memoriae – The slain Warrior’s impressive combat display so infuriates the enemy that he/she will continue to beat the body of the Warrior even after death has been inflicted.
Rank 1: When the Warrior dies, he/she will remain unconscious and invulnerable at 0% for a short time while the enemy who slew him/her will continue the onslaught. The enemy’s fury will subside after a period of 3 seconds, at which point the Warrior truly “dies” and the enemy resumes normal combat.
Rank 2: ” after a period of 5 seconds ”.
Rank 3: ” after a period of 6 seconds ”.
Rank 4: ” after a period of 7 seconds ”.​

TL;DR – Enemy hates dead Warrior’s guts so much it beats Warrior’s corpse for a little before cooling down.

NOTES – The title comes from the Latin phrase “damnation of memory,” which was a practice in Ancient Rome that typically meant death was not enough for a person hated by the state – instead, their very existence (i.e. records, portraits, etc.) was ordered to be erased from memory. Basically, this tome could give a group or raid a few seconds of leeway to brace for the fallout after the death of the Warrior tank. An emote from the enemy may be in order, such as, "A thousand curses on all your kin, [WAR Name]! I'll pummel your remains into the very earth!"​

-----​

Hulking Smash – The Warrior bides his/her strength and endures the pain of armed combat. When his/her limit is reached, the Warrior’s muscles bulge to frightening proportions for a short time, increasing the damage dealt with standard melee strikes and culminating in a Hulking Smash.
Rank 1: Whenever the Warrior has sustained a predetermined amount of damage within a given zone, he/she an emote that reads: “Your muscles ripple with rage…” At this point, the Warrior may type /cmd smash, which instantly alters the Warrior’s size to 10, improves standard primary and secondary melee strike damage by 15%, and culminates in a Hulking Smash of 1000 damage, after which the Warrior returns to normal size and ceases to receive the benefit. This status lasts for 10 seconds, functions independently of stances, and may be initiated every time the Warrior has sustained at least 50,000 damage.
Rank 2: ” at least 40,000 damage.
Rank 3: ” at least 30,000 damage.
Rank 4: ” at least 25,000 damage.​

TL;DR – Once Warrior has taken X amount of damage, Warrior turns big, hits harder, does a mini DBlow, then shrivels to normal size.

NOTES – The thought of a Warrior “going Hulk” during battle is humorous but also not far-fetched. I’m not sure if the “rack up X amount of sustained damage” mechanic is right here, but the concept itself seems fairly solid to me.​

-----​

Lockeye – The Warrior’s unwavering stare in the heat of combat weakens the opponent’s ability to direct melee blows elsewhere.
Rank 1: As long as the Warrior is “tanking,” all Rampages, Vengeful Strikes, Phantom Strikes, and other secondary melee abilities aimed at others (Riposte excluded) will suffer reduced damage. Phantom Strike damage is reduced by 5%, whereas other forms of secondary melee damage are reduced by 10%.
Rank 2: ” Phantom Strike damage is reduced by 8%, whereas other forms of secondary melee damage are reduced by 15%.
Rank 3: ” Phantom Strike damage is reduced by 12%, whereas other forms of secondary melee damage are reduced by 20%.
Rank 4: ” Phantom Strike damage is reduced by 15%, whereas other forms of secondary melee damage are reduced by 25%.​

TL;DR – Warrior locks eyes so fiercely with enemy that enemy’s ability to hit others is weakened.

NOTES – Numbers here might be overpowered. I felt the need to differentiate Phantom Strike from the rest because it is raid-wide and should probably be subject to less benefit than the lesser abilities like Rampage, Cowardly Strike, and so on.​

Not to be the Debbie downer or anything but if you don't play the class then you probably shouldn't give these tome ideas...

"TL;DR – Cleric’s big/quick heals have chance to spawn book mob that speeds up further big/quick heals for 2 ticks."

Basically if you think clerics need any help with healing then you probably haven't played the class enough.

The one thing I could agree with this post was the fact that shadow knights shouldn't get anything else. Damn you and your overpowered class!

Great post as usual Grink. I really like the druid tome frog song and lycanthropy, though changing the later to "tree of life" and being a happy tree with the same type effect gels better in my brain casing. Frogspawn kind of confuses me,mDR and avoidance plus less aggro? Giving casters [edit: non-exhaustion] stances is a idea that all casters should get, even if it means dumping some existing tomes... perhaps the ones that fared poorly in a recent poll?
Really creative stuff with damnatio. Convincing death makes entirely too much sense.
Hopefully people experienced with the classes can give productive feedback instead of casually dismissing all of these ideas with statements that suggest the poster does not understand the intent behind tomes.

Last edited:
All three Ranger tome ideas are just to help our bird stay alive other then giving it more hp without a tome haha. I think the real problem is just how weak Companion Health is. Let me throw out some numbers:

Mooshie HP~

5280 - Base HP

BUFFS
+1300 (Relic: Gift of Aegolism)
+455 (Relic: Ancestral Focus)
+225 (Spiritual Vigor)
+200 (Blessing of the Combine)

GEAR
+20 Head
+75 Robe
+35 Sleeves
+15 Bracer
+25 Hands
+55 Legs
+25 Feet
+50 Summoned Weapons
+50 Summoned Weapons
+100 Gruplok Collar

=7910

Companion Health VIII (Increase Pet's Maximum Hit Points by 40%)

7910 * 1.4 = 11074

11074 != 10022 (HP it has in game)

(Maybe Companion Health is added to the base)

5280 * 1.4 = 7292

7292 + 2180 + 450 = 10022

10022 = 10022 (OMG OMG)

So the difference between Companion Health 8 vs Companion Health 7 is only 5% of Pet Base HP....

5280 * 1.4 = 7292
5280 * 1.35 = 7128

164 difference

Basically Companion Health needs to scale better. More so now that you Have to wear it at all times. Let's not forget, it needs to be on more items and Health and Strength should be combined. This has been gone over many times before however...

Sorry to take over your thread. I would just rather them fix pets in general then making a bandage fix via a class tome. Even though keeping the pet alive would help us do more dps I raids.

Rangers melee is really lacking. Maybe a tome that would let us proc a bow shot during melee combat would be cool. It would only help us when we melee which is rather slim now adays.

However, what's the actual refresh time on the FD button at high-end? The 4-second figure by Rank 4 might actually be excessive, depending....
5 seconds after you have the Rapid Feign Class AA.
Rapid Feign 3/6/9 59 Passive None This ability reduces your reuse time on feign death by 10, 25, and 50 percent.

Edit: Updated from 3.5 to 5 cause apparently I have been confused my whole terrible life.

Last edited:
Damnatio Memoriae – The slain Warrior’s impressive combat display so infuriates the enemy that he/she will continue to beat the body of the Warrior even after death has been inflicted.
Rank 1: When the Warrior dies, he/she will remain unconscious and invulnerable at 0% for a short time while the enemy who slew him/her will continue the onslaught. The enemy’s fury will subside after a period of 3 seconds, at which point the Warrior truly “dies” and the enemy resumes normal combat.
Rank 2: ” after a period of 5 seconds ”.
Rank 3: ” after a period of 6 seconds ”.
Rank 4: ” after a period of 7 seconds ”.​

TL;DR – Enemy hates dead Warrior’s guts so much it beats Warrior’s corpse for a little before cooling down.

NOTES – The title comes from the Latin phrase “damnation of memory,” which was a practice in Ancient Rome that typically meant death was not enough for a person hated by the state – instead, their very existence (i.e. records, portraits, etc.) was ordered to be erased from memory. Basically, this tome could give a group or raid a few seconds of leeway to brace for the fallout after the death of the Warrior tank. An emote from the enemy may be in order, such as, "A thousand curses on all your kin, [WAR Name]! I'll pummel your remains into the very earth!"​

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
This reminds me of rogue's sinister revenge tome, pretty much the same concept without the DPS increase while active, but overall not a bad idea. Maybe give it a illusion of something on the bigger side so it's noticed by people when it happens.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hulking Smash – The Warrior bides his/her strength and endures the pain of armed combat. When his/her limit is reached, the Warrior’s muscles bulge to frightening proportions for a short time, increasing the damage dealt with standard melee strikes and culminating in a Hulking Smash.
Rank 1: Whenever the Warrior has sustained a predetermined amount of damage within a given zone, he/she an emote that reads: “Your muscles ripple with rage…” At this point, the Warrior may type /cmd smash, which instantly alters the Warrior’s size to 10, improves standard primary and secondary melee strike damage by 15%, and culminates in a Hulking Smash of 1000 damage, after which the Warrior returns to normal size and ceases to receive the benefit. This status lasts for 10 seconds, functions independently of stances, and may be initiated every time the Warrior has sustained at least 50,000 damage.
Rank 2: ” at least 40,000 damage.
Rank 3: ” at least 30,000 damage.
Rank 4: ” at least 25,000 damage.

TL;DR – Once Warrior has taken X amount of damage, Warrior turns big, hits harder, does a mini DBlow, then shrivels to normal size.

NOTES – The thought of a Warrior “going Hulk” during battle is humorous but also not far-fetched. I’m not sure if the “rack up X amount of sustained damage” mechanic is right here, but the concept itself seems fairly solid to me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even a good idea as well. i always thought warrior's should be able to DBlow , could maybe set it up on the stance list as once activated x amount of damage recieved during 10 sec's determine's how much you DB for once that 10 seconds is up it goes off, or even just a pre determined amt of damage for each rank

can't tell me your not jelly of mage pet's being able to DBlow, i know i am

Last edited:
I like the death save for beastlords and the let pet stay alive for just a few seconds more, both are fun and nice!

First, would like to say that's a great post Grinkles. Certainly shows a lot of thought, creativity, and effort. Class tomes will undoubtedly become an even bigger issue when CoP poof.

However, to be honest, I'm not clear enough on what the intent for class tomes is/was to understand if these ideas fit or propose others.

Some classes have their primary role enhanced significantly through class tomes. Some seemingly get toy effects and only toy effects.

Would love clarification on what role they're supposed to fill before hashing out new ones or even considering existing ones seriously.

Last edited:
Please. no more ranger pets. I don't really like having a pet to begin with, but I can live with it and the R2 pet seems fine during game play (Aside from the micromanaging)
I would gladly take a tome to reduce arrow use or something to make melee more relevant, I think for overall play, with all kinds of players, keeping it simple is the way to go. But please I beg, no more pets.

Yake

3.5 seconds after you have the Rapid Feign Class AA.
Rapid Feign 3/6/9 59 Passive None This ability reduces your reuse time on feign death by 10, 25, and 50 percent.
it's exactly 5 seconds, unless my rapid feign aa doesn't work or something

Beastlord ideas" raid-wide cunning (ignore wrath), sure. Death save from pet, maybe. Crit blast for pet is blah, don't want another pure et tome. The whole I died, pet hangs out for a few ticks thing, yuck. As I said in the beastlord thread I made, another tome that only purely affects the warder only is boring, and doesn't help us much when the pet dies on us.

As for a SK tome idea, how about:
Focus of Hate: The shadowknights skill at inflicting hatred in his enemies expands such that just failing to strike him down incites anger.
The SK gains an innate reactive proc, Terror of Shadows/Death, with a proc rate of 2/3.5/5/7% chance. (Or adjust numbers as desired, just throwing an idea out there.)

it's exactly 5 seconds, unless my rapid feign aa doesn't work or something

Looks like 5 seconds with Rapid Feign 3 completed is correct, just timed it with my watch. Not sure where I got the starting time of 7 seconds from, unless I confused it with the Necro AA timer...

However, to be honest, I'm not clear enough on what the intent for class tomes is/was to understand if these ideas fit or propose others.

Take up lots of exp and never feel quite right since they don't have the client-aware naturalness of AAs. Not an official answer obviously, but if there was ever a plan other than "put something here" I wasn't aware of it when I was making a few things. A few are clearly aimed toward powering up classes that were/are felt to be weak (e.g. Mage ones), which is pretty terrible in itself (if there are longstanding issues with a class, they ought to be fixed at a more fundamental level rather than way way at the end of things and only for people with lots of time), while the rest tend toward "utility" that no one asked for or that is so constrained that it's hard to see as a meaningful benefit (don't want to risk giving more power to already powerful classes). Neither are very good; most of the above ideas seem to be in the second group so they would at least be consistent I guess (tomes that you have to die to see any benefit from are good examples of constrained utility).

Noting more than 1 idea about mana regen. IMO "you don't have to sit around waiting quite as long" shouldn't have to be a class-specific or end-game-only benefit. I've said it before and I'll say it again right now: if you sit on your butt meditating out of combat for a minute straight, you should have full mana no matter what. A fixed 10% per tick would probably too good for brief spurts, but something that ramps up the longer you med and/or works against a % of your missing mana (rather than total) would also be good. Even just regenerating mana as normal until suddenly bumping up to full after a consecutive minute would also be something, if less friendly to fast-paced/exp group type stuff. But all that is one of those things (the kind that probably won't happen).

Raising Enc charm level caps would probably be too hectic to happen also, more than a few zones were designed with the max charm levels in mind (e.g. "I want this to be charmable with either of the short term CC charms, but definitely not the long-term one" -- both kinds check the same immunity flag, levels are the only difference). Not the sort of info that would be written down anywhere either, and things would inevitably fall through unintentionally and turn into an ongoing game of "spot the newly enabled exploit" for players and devs alike. (Zones needing to specifically be designed with enchanters in mind for them to be able to do fun things like mezz and charm without trivializing things is a whole problem in itself but again, one of those things).

Noting more than 1 idea about mana regen. IMO "you don't have to sit around waiting quite as long" shouldn't have to be a class-specific or end-game-only benefit.

That is what I said about the bard tome and made a post about it a long time ago. Quiet reflection is the most boring tome ever made, now I can jump around waiting on the healer and caster mana even longer! With lich clicky bard mana regens really fast and the people with 2000-4000 more mana will always take longer to med up, cast buffs ect, tome is completely useless. There is even gear with 10-20 med skill on it, pretty sad that a whole class tome worth of exp can be gained by a flavor stat on a piece of gear.

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Arubboth,_Confine_of_the_Soul Its 1/2 a class tome in power in just one stat...

That is what I said about the bard tome and made a post about it a long time ago. Quiet reflection is the most boring tome ever made, now I can jump around waiting on the healer and caster mana even longer! With lich clicky bard mana regens really fast and the people with 2000-4000 more mana will always take longer to med up, cast buffs ect, tome is completely useless. There is even gear with 10-20 med skill on it, pretty sad that a whole class tome worth of exp can be gained by a flavor stat on a piece of gear.

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Arubboth,_Confine_of_the_Soul Its 1/2 a class tome in power in just one stat...

And yet, in the recent opinion poll, it received several votes of good and great. Not sure why.

It's not useless, it's just very meh. Especially as it's focused around recovery time and not anything based around combat/instrument use.

Very well done post Grinkles. I cant say that im in love with any of these tomes but there are a gems in there that are heading in the right direction. The beastlord tomes there are pretty gross tho. Like Zaela said, having to die to benefit from a tome is terrible idea imo. Mirrorplay is really cool tho. Also lifegiving lycanthorpy is awesome, maybe better as a proc then a stance.

It's not useless, it's just very meh. Especially as it's focused around recovery time and not anything based around combat/instrument use.
Probably because bards are already really good dps, you know, considering that you're bards.

Back
Top Bottom