Track bugged?

Finkk

Dalayan Adventurer
I've noticed this for a while but now that the server is down and I just noticed that an NPC standing directly in front of me wasn't on track, I finally got the free time to mention it here.

Why do some mobs not show on track, even if they are within visible range of me? I'm a 65 ranger with 250 tracking. There were times when Parcelan was untrackable and then within the past month or so he started showing up on track. One of the CoI quest NPCs in Shadowdale was untrackable today when I was standing right next to her. HoM is constantly showing no named on track, but there have been one or two occassions when I did indeed have The x Watcher on track.

Is this a known bug?

I think track only lists a finite # of NPCs.

So if there are more than that finite number in your tracking range some may not be displayed.

For example, druid track lists the new spawned things on the top, and the oldest on the bottom. so as new things spawn it can bump things that have been up for a long time off the bottom of the list.

Rangers have the option to track by different paramters... When sorting by distance, I wonder if it sorts all the mobs in track range by distance, then shows the finite # at the top, or if it only sorts the fininte # at the top of the "normal" view and displays those. If the latter, that would explain what you're seeing (just assuming here you tried other options than a normal sort).

If the latter is indeed the case it would be nice, if it's possible (if the track list is generated server side and not completely in the client, which I suspect might be the case), to change it to do the sort before the truncation.

GuiardoTuneweaver said:
Rangers have the option to track by different paramters...

I asked a good while ago and was told these parameters do *NOT* work (and that it's by design). Track is always listed by spawn time.

I have melee'd raid mobs and even though I had track set to sort on consider (red on top), the mob never appeared on track.

I could believe the finite number limit on track, but then what mobs get priority when track is calculating mobs? It's certainly not distance based on my first sentence. Not sorted by con for the same reason. I appreciate the recognition from authorities and look forward to further comments.

By the way, for those who are not familiar with track, you are theoretically allowed to sort the results based on:

Consider (highest to lowest levels)
Distance (nearest to furthest)
Normal (newest spawns first)
RConsider (reverse consider)
RDistance (reverse distance)

Normal works very well and I use it often. Consider works well too. (Haven't tried RConsider but I'm sure it works) The main problem seems to be that some mobs are continuously ignored while tracking. There have been times when I could track Parcelan from the zone in of DN and times when he wasn't on track while I was fighting him.

This leads me to wonder if only the 50 (for example) most recent mobs spawned in a zone are trackable, regardless of the fact that you are sorting by Consider or Distance.

If this is the case, than I suggest that all mobs be accounted for and only the top N mobs are displayed in the track window.

IDK about parcelan being untrackable, but all mobs that are flagged as non-attackable can never be tracked.

i think it's a specific issue with ranger tracking. last week sometime there were mobs in SK that could be seen on track with a druid and a bard but the rangers in the guild could not

UPDATE:

I was doing the prodding quest for CoI in Shadowdale and after 15 minutes of killing greenies, certain mobs that I noticed were not on track appeared on track. For example, the main CoI quest NPC cons DB to me at 65 and she was initially untrackable. After I slayed 30 or so greenies she showed up on track, as did the rest of the Council Guards (was only tracking 1 before).

I would love to have track fixed. Is there any reason why we would have to limit the amount of mobs showing on track?

CaptHappy said:
i think it's a specific issue with ranger tracking. last week sometime there were mobs in SK that could be seen on track with a druid and a bard but the rangers in the guild could not

This makes sense if only the X most recent mobs were available on track. Bards and druids have a smaller track radius (based on lower skill caps), so the ranger can trace more newer spawns that are farther away, bumping some of the closer older-spawns off.

I don't think track should ever cut out results. The higher the skill, the larger the radius... Done. It's very annoying when one of your class's main claim-to-fame is tracking mobs and you can't track the mob standing 10 feet from you.

Finkk said:
I don't think track should ever cut out results. The higher the skill, the larger the radius... Done. It's very annoying when one of your class's main claim-to-fame is tracking mobs and you can't track the mob standing 10 feet from you.

I agree 110%, but from what I've heard it's a client issue and can't be fixed. :(

Yea but a lot of things work differntly on our server than how they worked on live because our server is an emulated server. It's different op codes and how the client interprets information from the server. The server sends all zone information to the client, the client just has to decode it properly (eg: how showEQ used to work).

I have to agree, it's really annoying when a bard or druid is tracking things that won't show up on a ranger's track because of the way it's organized.

Thanks for the responses and support Jayelle. I just can't seem to understand why it would work at all if things are different on our server. I just can't help but think that once someone got down to the real reason why track is only displaying the top X most recent spawns, the fix would be simple. I know Wiz is a busy man but if he gets around to looking into this and gives me an official verdict I would greatly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom