Tinkering - The Pressing Times

Yusuke

Dalayan Adventurer
Have you guys given any consideration to reversing the consumable oil presses? I spent the better part of a year /auctioning for mats and when I actually skilled up I had less than a stack of some of the crucial items needed for progressing. The drop rates on some of the components are so low that you have stacks of a particular one and barely a few dozen of another. I scraped by to get tinkering to 110 and by that point I did not even have any size 2 tubing left to make more oil presses. I had to ask a guildie for another to make my second oil press. The amount of time, money, and effort that goes in to skilling tinkering is far above any of the other tradeskills. There are only 5 toons that have pushed past 100 in Tinkering. With this change you have effectively shut out any other person from attempting this tradeskill because the amount of Low-Grade Lubricant needed is well over 10 stacks full to reach 110. Had I needed to make a new oil press for every combine of 3 racial meats for more low-grade lubricant I would still be struggling in the 80-90 level range. Mind you, tinkering difficulty picks up from 65 onward and it's brutal starting from 80 to 110. As a sick joke (probably very intentional), the components you need the most and that have the lowest drop rate are the ones you need multiple times for different combines for various skillup ranges up to 110 - I am looking at you size 2 tubing, size 1 sensor, size 2 sensor, and basic/sharp filings. There are other components like the ones I have mentioned but these are the ones I can recall easily from memory.

I have not/cannot make the High-Powered Oil Press but I am assuming that will also be consumed after a combine. To the people who decided on this change, If you go farm Dinosaur Meat from the few available mobs and zones as well as the size 2 sensor needed for the high-powered oil press you will quickly realize the difficulty in making this item. I won't even ask you to farm/make the other components but I would prefer if you farmed enough to make 10 of the presses. This will give you a small taste of what you are asking us to put up with.

With a population that barely tops 100 when most are boxing, there is no justification for such a change. The server population is low, the mobs are sparse, the drop rate is abysmal, the time sink is egregious. The people who are working on this tradeskill are veterans, we have very limited bank space. This tradeskill requires you to have raised/maxed most of the other tradeskills and use them to make combines. It's hard keeping enough room free to make all these combines let alone at the same time - this change adds another set of components to have on hand. Thus far, in my opinion the benefit of this tradeskill are the non-lore rez clickies and the bow augs. I have thrown I don't know how much plat at this tradeskill (a lot) and have not sold a single item yet. Currently at 135 Tinkering. All I have to gain from this is maxing another tradeskill because I have been around on/off since 2005. What do you have to gain from making this change?

The only value in tinkering is res clickers and bow augs (imo at least), res clickers I have been providing free to guildies as I've had them to hand out and augs all I've asked for/needed from guildies was the 3 dino meats as they were the only pain part to farm. I've sold a dozen or so to out of guild folks and for the second best augs only charged 1k+3dino meats. Short answer there is no money in tinkering, I do it mostly as a service to my guild.

The change while really it was fixing a "bug" and was originally intended to consume oil presses I feel very strongly and from what I've seen in the sod discord from marthog, from talking to yusuke, that pretty much every player doing tinkering agrees that its terrible in so many ways for the oil presses to be consumed.

Jumber's has said he will look into it, which I appreciate greatly.

For the record theres at least 2 or 3 other members of eternity besides myself and Yusuke with the tinkering box and they havent bothered to start it yet as they've heard from us how tinkering was already a giant pain before the oil press "fix".

Back
Top Bottom