The King's head Must Roll!!

Kirin Folken

Dalayan Elder
Problem:
Currently after gaining Ally faction with dragon/Giant you need to turn in the opposites leaders head. The Problem of course is the number of toons on the server needing these heads. Main characters that worked thier way throw the tiers general were lucky enough to be able to down each of the leaders a few times to gain the head and keep until they aquired Ally.

The Problem however comes from Alts, and Mains of higher tiered guilds. For months now I have been trying to keep track of them to nail, to gain the final part of the quest. However each of these NPCs (Empress and King) are basicly Perma down. Thiers a VERY short window of them being up before taken down. Now this wouldn't be such a problem if it was just guilds of approperate tier taking them down.

From my personal experience seeing and talking with other Scouts I meet in NDHK/SE, Empress and King are being taken down more often by Upper Tier guilds then on tier guilds, to use on alts and new characters of the guild.

This is thier right, dont get me wrong... but is this bottleneck really suppose to be this bad? It seems lower tier guilds are beng robbed of these raid targets, and in the case of NDHK more then just the empress (as thiers some raid targets in the way of empress they get killed along the way).

Solution:

Once the * version of the NPC spawns, have the ability to hail them to engage.
*you insult thier mother, kids, thier favorite TV show etc*

Much like Meilech the reanimated, and Parclean the devour the Empress/King would despawn and respawn a *version thats much nastyer then thier normal incarnation. These respawned NPC would only drop thier head, nothing else.

Timer for this respawn ability could be limited to once in 24 hours +/- 12 hours window.

This allows the quest to not be so much of a bottleneck, and allows higher tier guilds a way of aquireing the head without stomping a low tier target for it.

Prehaps even adding a mini-quest involveing the gathering of a few things first for a hand in that enrages the NPC. (in case of empress... prehaps gathering some bones of her Commrades and givin them to her. *killng Enraged Wurms to get... Wurm bones x4 to give to her or something).

I believe this is as intended. The augs are not supposed to be easy to get, and the King is pretty much going to be contested one way or the other.

If its intended, not much more to be said. It just really feels wrong seeing tier 9+ Toons destroying a Tier 3 mob just for his head time after time.

Seems like such a waste of an encounter

i've noticed this issue with a couple mobs as of late. parcelan seems to be killed in the same manner and ancient tarlisha of catacombs as well. these mobs, which are tiered for much lower guilds to go after, have quest items on them that even tier 8 and 9 guilds are interested in. and no, i don't blame those tiered guilds in going after these mobs, i would do the same in their shoes. i think something along the idea in his orginal post has some merit to it. i think we can all agree its dissapointing to have these mobs in the game only for their loot to rot 80 percent of the time. and no, generally a group would not let me tag along for ancient tarlisha.

Nuvian

Its been stated over and over that mobs like Parcelean and Tarlisha are inteneded bottle necks for quests. Also, I don't see the staff giving any more chances for DHK/SK augs.

Furthermore, forming up and claiming a raid target has NOTHING to do with the raid's tier. If the lower tier guilds want to kill empress, they need to get to the zone before higher tier guild does.

Also, you guys forgot to whine about PoL quest pieces dropping in planar zones, and people farming relics for alts/new guild members.

for all that loot to rot seems like such a waste of coding. forming up has nothing to do with raid tier??? um sure, yeah really i believe that.

Nuvian

for all that loot to rot seems like such a waste of coding. forming up has nothing to do with raid tier??? um sure, yeah really i believe that.

Nuvian
The only difference they have is it takes less of them to run to the zone to kill it.
Maybe you should plan according to show up when hes due to spawn in 4? or however many days it is to get him. and you beat the horrible high tier frost king cabal to it.

Or make it sensible and have derg drop the head.

forming up has nothing to do with raid tier??? um sure, yeah really i believe that.

You should, because its the truth. We kept the DHK TR on lock down for well over a month when we were 'on tier'. Novus did the same recently when 'on tier'. When you kill the shit, you know when its going to spawn next.

Also as a FYI for you guys, the DHK TR was up last week for about 24 hours on one occasion, so I'm not buying this thread/idea.

Furthermore, a good low-tier guild is always going to have the advantage on these targets because higher tiered guilds are going to give priority to higher tiered targets.

You should, because its the truth. We kept the DHK TR on lock down for well over a month when we were 'on tier'. Novus did the same recently when 'on tier'. When you kill the shit, you know when its going to spawn next.

Also as a FYI for you guys, the DHK TR was up last week for about 24 hours on one occasion, so I'm not buying this thread/idea.

Furthermore, a good low-tier guild is always going to have the advantage on these targets because higher tiered guilds are going to give priority to higher tiered targets.

Throne room stays up for good bouts of time, unlike the stormking you cannot just waltz in and duo to the loot pinata. I agree with you for the most part but again the issue here should not be the contested frost king but why the frost king is so far the easier option. High tiered guilds dont need to give frostking any priority , its so trivial to do him you can just splinter off one group from a raid and kill him while the rest clears trash and noone will know the difference.

derg dropping head makes more sense. not sure i really buy the lower guild advantage. a lower guild needs to get 12-18 people to get together while a higher guild can one group it. in many cases that only requires three people to be logged in. king takes less than an hour to clear and kill. not sure on tarlisha, overall its not very taxxing on them.

Nuvian

Nuvian, all you need is six people online boxing to clear trash to get a claim if you are on tier. Its all about dedication.

Also, thanks for the heads up Otcho, I've never done SK/SE.

Last edited:
Nuvian, all you need is six people online boxing to clear trash to get a claim if you are on tier. Its all about dedication.

Also, thanks for the heads up Otcho, I've never done SK/SE.

To give you a more detailed description of what the difference is, North Dragonhorn is supposed to be on par with storms eye. Doing stormking requires less effort then going and killing Firkaal in east dragonhorn and is easier to boot.

basically :psyduck:

on a side note, are the higher tiered players actually not bothered by having to go back and kill mobs that are so below them? i know it would annoy me.

Nuvian

I think the real question is why the king drops the head and not dergalak.

This is true, I beleive the king was given the head in part to counter the generally recognized fact that killing dragons is more lucrative and beneficial for a guild overall than killing giants.

But since so many guilds wait until they are done killing both before they pick a faction and are then severely overtiered for the content, I can see the logic in moving it to Derg.

on a side note, are the higher tiered players actually not bothered by having to go back and kill mobs that are so below them? i know it would annoy me.

Nuvian

NDHK gems are usually needed by the same poeple who want the head, since they skipped the zone entirely, so clearing to the TR for the head + loots/alt loots, gems, and even scales for those who need them is a pretty good use of time for an off night.

Not to mention I got an ED tmap to drop in NDHK a couple weeks ago, which made me ^^

Stormkeep doesn't drop the gems for faction bound armor though and clearing the trash is really just more of a speed bump for anyone over tiered for it.
Also not many if any boasses are in the way of Frost king, unless you count Slavemaster Jorleg or whatever his name is. Hes usually killed along with that one just inside the stormkeep bank (And both have little to no trash clearing of their own to do).
A lot less time to clear Frost king than Empress though. If it really was moved to Dergalek (the head), it would at least give the higher tiers a bit more work to do instead of "Hey, lets go smash the loot pinata, it'll only take 30 minutes".

On a random note, is it me, or do giants in storm's eye NEVER drop Storm giant heads?
If thats intentional, is there a reason? NDHK still drops greater scales a long the way as far as I know.

Last edited:
God dammit, I had just gotten that damn 'Heads will roll' song out of my head before I read this thread title. There goes another 3 days of my mindspace :psyduck:

Back
Top Bottom