The journal of Edonis Malkazar

Silvanoshei

Dalayan Beginner
February 11, 0055 A.F.
No word from dad still. He last mentioned going to check out Freeport and help some group try to take it back. Sounded like a suicide mission to me but that’s the way he’s kind of been since mom disappeared. Can’t say I wouldn’t do the same if I was more capable or that was my wife. I like to think Althuna beaconed to her and for some reason she really couldn’t tell us. Well I’m traveling again. I can’t seem to stay anywhere more than a few months. I blame my dad for the wanderlust I have. He’s always been that way. I think that’s just how all rangers are. I’m going to head to Newport and see if there isn’t something I can find there. Maybe someone has heard from either of my parents, yeah, not likely.

Made it to Newport and wow, is this place just bustling with adventurers. Maybe this place is just a little too crowded for my taste. I may not stay here for very long. Just seems so crowded.

February 13, 0055 A.F.
Had the craziest dream last night. It seemed so vivid, so real. Is this the work of Althuna? For some reason I don’t think so. Mostly because I would imagine that Althuna would show herself to me and not be so vague. Even odder than that was when I woke and I had books in my possession that I don’t remember ever seeing and a note from a William Defar asking me to meet him. What kind of magic is this?

Asked around about this just kind of hinting at it really. No one seems to know this William guy and everyone I asked about the dream thought I was nuts or thought I was telling a some sort of tale. The guards apparently need help with some trouble in the sewers so I think I’m going to check that out after I pray on this for a bit.

February 15, 0055 A.F.
Finished helping clean out the sewers though I believe there is a way to go further since I hear chanting when I’m down there. Perhaps there is a secret passage of some kind. I’ll have to remember to explore some more later. Right now I feel like getting a little fresh air.

While I was wandering through South Newport I ran into a woman by the name of Klyaa Feralli who’s brothers seem to be missing and will give me her father’s old armor. Normally I would help her without need for reward but my armor really needs some repair or just a good upgrade. She tells me that I should speak to a guard by the name of Kombe who resides in Western Badlands. Sounds like a chance to explore and really get some air.

Spoke to Kombe and he seems to be having issues of his own yet he wont really talk about it so maybe I’ll bug him later but he did mention that I should go find a farmer by the name Nolan who one of her brothers went to see. He didn’t really say where he was so I guess I get to do some more exploring.

While in Western Badlands I observed some wraiths guarding some odd looking statue that looked like a crescent moon lying on its back with four large headstones around it. What is so special about it that they need to guard it? I will have to investigate this further when I get time.

Ran by a farm still looking for Nolan and not far from the farm there was this large pyramid looking thing with the top cut off and four pillars that came up at each corner of it like teeth. Stood at the top of it but saw nothing, maybe I should try coming back at a different time instead of the morning. Perhaps I’ll return at midnight? Also as I scanned to the east there were these rotting gnolls. Perhaps they have something to do with the pyramid but they didn’t look too friendly to ask and the farmers near by didn’t seem to have any answers for me either.

February 16, 0055 A.F.
Well I’m kind of tired of hunting for this Nolan guy. Can’t seem to locate him anywhere. Maybe he’s out on some sort of errand. I’ll just come back another day. Something tells me I should check out Erudin and since I’m one to follow my gut, Erudin hear I come.

Jumped on a boat from Newport heading to Erudin but part of the way through the trip I fell in the water. Maybe I somehow lost my balance but I could swear someone pushed me. I had to ditch some of my gear or drown. Thankfully my map wasn’t damaged and not too far from where I fell in there was a small island. It seemed like fate that on this island was the person from the message. Also what seemed like fate is that he wanted something from Newport and I had picked it up a few days ago when I spoke to the guard standing in front of the clock. William asked me a few questions to which I knew all the answers to and then he sent me to find and learn the stories of 8 men who were spread all over Dalaya. Not certain why I’m doing this but it just seems like Althuna is trying to lead me somewhere. I’m suppose to seek out a Korgen Stoutaxe, Leader Dannisin, Sedran Telvir, Dawn Seer Tarnok, Captain Nolgon, Trainer Bindle, Historian Allen, and Theron Praknat. And of course they’re not in the same inn together drinking back a few mugs of ale. This is going to take awhile.

I’m noticing a connection with all of these men. All of them where around when Kaezul was cutting his bloody swath through Dalaya and when he finally pulled back his armies and left us all alone. Another odd thing I heard was that Theron Praknat spoke of a terrible weapon of magic that destroyed his people’s home. Could this be the same weapon the Iksar now have?

February 18, 0055 A.F.
Finally spoke to all the men and returned to William. He was quite pleased and is now sending me to speak to someone else, a Loremaster Tresaria who is somewhere in the Sea of Swords. Sounds like another long trip so I think I’m going to camp here on this quiet tranquil island for the night.

February 20,0055 A.F
I awoke from my nice relaxing island get away and discovered it was pouring out. Good thing I love the rain but it’s kind of a bleak way to start the day. I guess I’m off to talk to this Tresaria person.

Made it to the bank and it was closed. Damn I had just missed it and there are books in there I need for when I go speak to her. I guess I’ll go out and hunt some gnolls. I could use a little warm up today.

February 21, 0055 A.F.
The gnolls were a bit of a pain. I guess I must be out of shape. While I was cleaning gnoll blood off of my bastard sword I noticed another fellow paladin. He was a friendly dwarf named Drakamar. We chatted a bit while dispatching gnoll after gnoll and then decided it would be better if we worked together and together gnolls trembled before our holy might. After about a few hours of crushing the gnoll population Drakamar spoke of a place haunted by the dead. A place known as the Shrouded Isle where a mansion sits covered in death and darkness. Now what better place for two young paladins to go and bring the light of Althuna?

February 22, 0055 A.F.
Drakamar and I made it to this haunted mansion and upon our first step inside the front courtyard we knew this place was damned. We spent an hour battling our way through undead. It wasn’t too long before we were pretty exhausted and then help arrived in the form of a dark elf shadowknight. Drakamar didn’t seem to mind so I held my tongue. I haven’t really gotten to know any so it could be just the stories I've heard but it seemed to me the light we brought to that wretched place dimmed just a little when he joined us. For the life of me I can’t recall his name either. Probably due to the fact that I didn’t stick around too long once he showed up. There was something nagging at me to see this Tresaria person I keep putting off. I’ve always found it wise to listen to my gut so I bid Drakamar and the dark elf farewell and hoped I would see them another time. Perhaps I’m just overreacting about the dark elf. No time to worry now, I need to go find me a portal and a boat. I wonder if I’m the only one that’s creeped out about the mansion with all the portals in it?

February 24, 0055 A.F.
I survived my brief run through the Mansion of Portals and saw a corpse as I was running by as fast as my legs could carry me. Poor guy must have lingered too long or he was just very unlucky. Jumped into the portal for Newport and made it to the bank to acquire the book I needed and a gem that William had given to me just incase she may want to see it as proof that I past the first test. Boarded the White Albatross and set sail for the Sea of Swords.

After a few hours I had made it to the Sea of Swords where William said Tresaria would be. I decided that I would just dive into the water and swim to the nearest island. Swimming is a good way to workout the muscles. The first island was covered with lizard looking creatures that reminded me of large geckos. I wonder if they are somehow related to the iksar? I didn’t stop to ask them about their heritage though, they looked very unfriendly. I swam over to the second closest island, which was pretty barren except for a few dead looking trees. I explored a bit and stumbled upon a gnome named Diglet who was a scholar and he was here to examine this odd little island. I assumed it was this way because maybe it was a volcano that had erupted recently but he thinks it’s because of a large sea creature that kills anything living on the island. I guess this guy has been here a bit too long and lost his damn mind. I figured though I would humor him and go check it out myself.

Swam around for hours hunting for this sea monster but I didn’t see anything. Maybe it only appears at night, he did mention that’s when he had heard it. I suppose I’ll return at night sometime to check it out. I left for the next closest island and this time I found her. The island was pretty desolate of life besides the grass and trees and her. There were a few ruins about of old buildings but I’m not certain what time they are from. Tresaria greeted me as if she knew who I was. I answered her questions without trouble and then she asked for the gem I was carrying and would give me a better one in return so I traded her. She will not send me on my next quest though until I have seen more of the world. So I guess I will do some more exploring then. Perhaps I will return to the damned mansion.

February 25, 0055 A.F.
Made it to the entrance to Shrouded Isle. No sign or word from Drakamar. I suppose I should just camp here for the night. Maybe I’ll run into someone else who is as foolish as me. This place is a bit too evil for anyone to venture in alone. I guess it’s time for a nap. I wonder what crazy dream I’ll have this time.

February 27, 0055 A.F.
I ventured alone into Shrouded Isle; I was doing ok at first until more and more undead began to sense I was there. I was growing weary from all the fighting and yet they still kept coming and the fight was beginning to turn. I rammed my sword through a skeleton’s face when another skeleton knocked me to the ground with a glancing blow from his flail. I gazed up with blood starting to run into my eyes a bit dazed. I was prepared to meet my maker when an iksar appeared and dispatched the last remaining undead that were closing in on me with such ease and grace. I thought I would be next until he reached down and pulled me to my feet. He said his name was Sempu, Sensei Sempu. I was still surprised and amazed but was able to stammer out a thank you for his timely arrival and he said no problem, smiled, and took off. As I watched him go I wiped the blood from my face and thought someday I’m going to be that dangerous I just need to push myself harder. I kneeled down and stayed that way for a few minutes and then started praying to Althuna thanking her for her help and mercy; I wasn’t looking to check out of this life just yet. I suppose I’ll venture back in and hopefully go a bit more unnoticed and also I need to push myself a lot harder. I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me.

March 5, 0055 A.F.
Still struggling through Shrouded Isle for several days now. It feels like a may have to suck it up and find some more people to help clear out the dead. It has become almost impossible for me to gain any leverage in this place; the dead seem to rise so quickly. Still, I pushed on without out looking for help and was able to clear the courtyard without any dead popping back up. I had made it passed some over grown hedges and bumped into a high elf mage and an ogre shadow knight who were actually trying to figure out what had happened here. They asked me if I would like to join them and soon after we were making very good progress cutting down the undead horde. And not long after that a dark elf mage came along and joined our ranks. In a matter of an hour we had the entire place cleared of the undead filth, only the mansion stood unexplored. We were getting ready to push our way through when things got really ugly as the undead came at us with a horrible vengeance. It seemed like the came at us from all directions. The mages were tossing spells all over the place raining chaos and death all around us. I was slicing through one fiend after another and calling upon Althuna with each breath trying to keep us all standing and the enemy handicapped. It seemed like it lasted forever but after only a few minutes the battle was over, the ogre was dead, and the rest of us badly injured. We escaped into Mistwoods and there we buried the ogre. Not much was said after it was all done. The high elf left soon after that. They were close friends and the hurt was too deep for him to stick around a couple guys he barely knew. I guess I can’t blame him for leaving. It was my job to keep them safe. I should have sensed the undead coming our way. Should have warned them. Just another reason why getting close to me is dangerous.

March 8, 0055 A.F.
I left Shrouded Isle; I needed to get away from that cursed mansion. I will return to do everything I can to cleanse that place but for now I need to find some good in this world. I decided I should return to hunting for farmer Nolan. I spoke to Kombe again but he didn’t really mention his whereabouts so I went back to searching all the farms again. I was nearly about to give up again when I finally ran across him. I spoke to him for a bit and something seemed odd about him. Something was off, my gut was giving me the impression that he was not a good man but I chose to listen to him anyway. He wanted me to prove myself for some reason. The request just seemed odd too but I listened. He wanted me to kill two bandit leaders by the name of Neverik and Borstick and return with their amulets. I agreed and left to find them.

March 10, 0055 A.F.
I finally located both bandits and returned to Nolan and was pleasantly surprised to find out he just sent me to kill off the competition and that that is what had happened to the others who went looking for the brothers of Klyaa. It was a hard fight, especially since the coward took me by surprise but it wasn’t long before I gained the upper hand and disarmed him and called upon Althuna to take away his sight. He stood there blind for a second rubbing at his eyes and as I was asking about what happened to Klyaa’s brothers he lunged at me. I lifted my sword instinctively and he impaled himself on it. His body fell to the floor and he lay there motionless. Stuck at a dead end I decided to rummage through his house and see if I couldn’t find any clues about the brothers. I didn’t find anything until I searched Nolan’s body where I found a note from someone named Poulter thanking him and awaiting his arrival. I also found some antique plate vambraces on him that probably belonged to the brothers. I ventured back to Kombe to talk to him and see if he knew anything more but he didn’t have anything for me nor was he speaking about his bracers. He seems to clam up on me when I mention them. The only thing I can do now is to try and locate this Poulter fellow. The world is so dark these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom