The current state of the monk class

Zhak Morris

Dalayan Beginner
Disclaimer: This will probably be a long post with me rambling off on a bunch of various topics.. so bear with me :p

In our current state, I feel monks are one of the worst choices to go when rolling a character, looking for an extra in a group, or whatever the case may be.

Feign death works fine and is quite handy at times, but I haven't seen a huge need for feign pulling outside of raid zones. This may be my lack of experience in certain experience zones, but it may just be that exp mobs aren't tuned to be FD pulled.

The main weakness I see in our class is DPS. On live (I know this isn't live, but it makes a good reference) monks were suppose to be behind rogues and wizards in terms of dps. Monks were suppose to be slightly ahead of rangers and magicians (if not falling pretty much dead even with mages).

In the current state of the server, I see monk dps far below other classes that shouldn't be out damaging them. For instance, a beastlord. Beastlords already have amazing solo capabilities and an all around solid class, but when a beastlord pet can out damage me (self buffed from his master), I think something is wrong. Jotto and I were hunting together last night, and when one of us would LD or get disbanded, his pet would always out damage me white he was sitting down meditating.

Even a warrior can out damage us with the correct aa abilities. If both classes has melee mastery 3, and the warrior had there flurry line of aa's, a warrior would come out on top in dps, as the monks don't get an aa ability similar to it (unless the return kick adds a *significant* dps boost). Rangers should be directly under us, not far above us.

I think either a #style or damage output tables should be reviewed. A #style similair to dooming with no negative effects would balance some of the dps issues for the time being. Also, maybe a bonus to the monk class in the damage table would be an order.

Another main issue with the class, is its total lack of keeping taunt. Now granted, I know we're not suppose to be a taunting class, but when I can't even hold aggro over a level 54 magician water pet, I think something should be looked at. Maybe make the Flying kick have a taunt effect to it. Not being able to hold aggro over a monk just sucks. On live monks could hold aggro when needed because damage was a big part of it, and monks were above most of the people in the group.

These are my big concerns atm, I'll continue adding to the post as I see fit, must get back to work now, haha.

I have to agree with Zhak here, after playing a monk to level 53 on WR and 59 monk on live, i must say that I miss a shitload with Glenn.. I cant evade attacks as much. Glenn is basically a manawhore when it comes down to it.

I used to be an excellent tank at lower levels, now i cant hold off a mob for 20 seconds that is blue to me without needing either a CH or divine light (in defensive style). anyway, just wanted to add to Zhak's post by saying congrats on 60 but I think I may be playing my necros a little bit more now ;/

Monks are working fine.

Ill explain:

I use FD in exp zones all the time, when splitting camps. I did it just last night like 10 times in Sorceror's. Mielech's requires it as well, along with many other zones.

Do not compare DPS from Live to WR. It simply does not work. In terms of DPS, it goes as such Wizards -> Rangers -> Rogues -> Monks -> All other stupid classes (Rangers and rogues may be equal) Now, Myself fully buffed, I pull around 100 DPS. Colt, the best warrior (Let alone character) on the server doesn't come near this (He's fully AAed) so no, Warriors do not outdamage monks. They outtaunt us, and have a shit load more HP and styles to back up their tanking style of game play.

The example you used for taunting is terrible, considering I'm of the belief that the Beastmaster pet in it's current form is broken. And once again, I'll use myself per example. I can hold aggro just fine. Most fights (And even RAIDS) I find myself feign deathing to avoid death. If a taunt was added to flying kick, I'd have to switch over to a different move to avoid death.

In their current form, monks are great and there are plenty of reasons to play them. They are not the best at DPS, but they have this thing called avoiddance. Now, contrary to popular belief, Monks, ontop off all the defensive SKILLS they get have an extra 90-100 AGI added from the very beginning which goes directly into AC. We dodge a lot, compared to everyone else. You also forget that we have a 25% bonus to hp every 6 minutes with mend, which we all know has saved our asses a million times over.

We're not a terrible class, we're infact one of the best.

(Edit: Pet classes weren't added because mages and necros own us all anyways.)

Beastlord pets were nerfed.

Anyways... there's no need to make flying kick taunt. Tiger Claw has a aggro proc on it. Use it if you want to hold aggro.

To be perfectly fair, I push out about the same DPS as Satrak fully buffed, but I'm also VASTLY superiorly equipped and have a 150+ AA advantage

Well, I guess i'll throw my "monk problem" in here. I think the styles we have are horrible. Comparing them to other classes, I feel like I only really have the need for one or two.. maybe three at a special occassion.

darkyth said:
Well, I guess i'll throw my "monk problem" in here. I think the styles we have are horrible. Comparing them to other classes, I feel like I only really have the need for one or two.. maybe three at a special occassion.

I use Unyielding 95% of the time and Defensive the remaining 5%.

Back
Top Bottom