Tani

Tani

Dalayan Adventurer
The wind blew a loose strain of hair against her check as she tipped her head just slightly listening to the whispers that were brought to her on the wind. The whispers talked of land of many wonders to the young Halfling and talked of wars. All the sudden she heard a stern voice calling her name, Tani. She turned and faced the direction of the voice that came from to see her master Tzailav, who was looking at her. 'Daydreaming again, Tani, what am I going to do with you?'

She blushed in embarrassment and said 'Sorry master I was listening to the whispers that came to me on the wind talking of faraway lands and of wars.' Puzzled on what she heard she turned back to her lesson trying to focus on it but her mind kept wandering back to the things she heard trying to make sense of it all. Tzailav seeing her moving around restless in her chair came over and stood by her. She looked up and asked him 'What does all this mean. The wars that I heard of were devastating laying lands to waste?'

Tzailav's face sadden and he knelt beside her. 'Tani, I can't teach you that here it is something that you will have to learn later as you grow up as of now dear child try to focus on your lesson.' Frustrated she turned back to her lesson on the different plants she can forage for food and the different uses for each plant.

After class was dismissed she went outside. Hearing the whispers again, she decided to find out where it was coming from. She wandered around Surefall. As she came near a grove of trees the whispers became almost deafening. Looking up she saw war Treants standing there their leaves rustling, she walked quietly through them listening to what they were saying until one spotted her and drew all of their attention to her.

The treant seeing her said "What do we have here? Such a small creature stirring among us?"

She apologized, 'Sorry, Sir I don't not mean to intrude I was just drawn here by your whispers that were carried to me by the wind. When class was dismissed and I heard your whispers again outside and I followed them here to you. Forgive me if I wasn't meant to hear what you were saying. Your words appealed to my curiosity and compelled me to come here and in hopes that I would find out more.'

The treant said, "Dear child the whispers as you call them were meant for anyone willing to listen, even you the smallest of the people that have roamed the lands. Come sit here beside me, listen and learn."

Following his orders she went and snuggled down beside him smoothing her skirt over her legs. She tilted her head to the side as the treants went back to talking about the different wars that had swept through the surrounding lands. Most of what was said she had never heard before. She remained enthralled by every word detailed in the stories being told. Many hours later Tzailav came looking for her. She had missed dinner and her evening studies. Finding her among the treants he became displeased and rushed to her asking her why she had wandered off.

'Master, I heard the whispers on the wind and followed them here to these great Treants. I used my skills of tracking like you have encouraged me to do many times and I found them. They saw me here and invited me to sit down and listen to them.' She looked down as if to beg forgiveness. 'I just forgot the what time it was while listening. I'm sorry I'll go and work on my studies now.'

The war treant called to Tzailav "Don't you think it is time you told her who she is and where she came from?"

Tzailav glared at the treant saying "She is still too young and has much more to learn before I can tell her."

Tani, not being that far off, turned to Tzailav and asked 'Tell me what?'

The treant looked at him and said "You aren't going to be able to hide it from her much longer she is curious about what she heard today and soon will be looking for the answers from you if not from me."

Tzailav turned to Tani "Go work on you studies little one, I'll be along shortly."

Turning back to the treant he warned him saying "Go back to your job of protecting the Glades and I'll do mine."

The treant scowled back "I am doing my duty. She is part of the Glades and evidently needs to be protected from even you. Only the truth will protect her. Tell her or I will."

Tzailav sighed "You're right. But I fear she will leave us once she knows. Do you think once she knows she would be willing to stay and finish her studies?"

The treant softened "That will be up to her."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom