Take Inventory of Your Inventory with /outputfile

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
Short Version:

Hey, did you know the current client can instantly create a text dump of your character's complete inventory, including everything in the bank?! :eek: Try typing /outputfile inventory and then look for [Charname]-Inventory.txt in your install directory.

You can even get a list of all your scribed spells with /outputfile spellbook!

==========
Long Version:

I recently logged in as my spell mule in search of a copy of Chloroshock. Unfortunately, I didn't even know if I owned the spell, let alone which bag it might be in. As is often the case with mules, the inventory before me was vast. The worst part of all was that every last item in question shared the same icon:

mKUAqp7.jpg

A player in this pickle has two options:​
  1. Manually wade through each bag — opening it, holding ALT while moused over it to view the item names, closing it, moving on to the next one — until the item in question is located.​
    • OR...​
  2. Create a simple, searchable text file detailing the character's inventory (including the bank) by way of the little-known /outputfile command.​
Because I favor efficiency over masochism, Option #2 was the clear winner. I typed /outputfile inventory into the chatbar, minimized the game, and found a brand new file in my SoD install directory named Wwww-Inventory.txt. (Yes, that's her name.)​

iEDYWxe.jpg

All of a sudden, I had a searchable list of all my mule's belongings! A speedy CTRL + F for "Chloroshock" revealed I had the scroll after all — in the seventh slot of the sixth bag, no less. Mission accomplished.

/outputfile has uses beyond spell mule management. It can give you an out-of-game resource for tallying up your quest pieces. It can tell you on the fly how many Peerless Waterstones you have banked so you know whether or not to roll on the one that just dropped. It can even be used to provide you with a list of all your character's scribed spells (though I can't imagine a practical purpose for such a thing).

Here's the syntax for using /outputfile yourself:
Code:
Inventory/Bank Listing:
/outputfile inventory

Spellbook Listing:
/outputfile spellbook

I know this kind of thing has been requested more than once among the playerbase. Now that we finally have such a command, here's hoping that it sees some long overdue use. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom