Spell Icons Mod

mechkl

Dalayan Elder
There are a few icons used over and over again covering a wide range of spells... so since just plain whining about it didn't get me anywhere, here is an updated spell file that changes all the icons for everyone!
My main priority of this mod was to make it so spell bars didn't have repeating spell icons for different spells.

Updated: 10-15-2014

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pos3rku44m0m1lt/spells_us.txt

Installation:

1: Download the file from link above.
2: Find your Sod directory (eq folder).
3: Drag and drop (or copy and paste) the newly downloaded spell file into your SoD folder.
4: Click "replace" when prompted to.
5: Icon changes will not take effect until client is completely closed and restarted.

Here is just a taste of changes
s7yi.jpg
rangerqy.png
newspellbar.jpg

eqiconsnumbered.jpg

Last edited:
Can we get a staff member's input on the likelihood of this mod making it into an official patch? With the recent and upcoming changes to spells, I'm sure it will become very tedious for Tierilo to provide an update following the slightest little change to spells_us.txt. :confused: Is there a valid argument against these changes?

What all spells is your mod affecting Tierilo?
I once used a UI mod, that made drastic changes to the spell icons. It took me quite awhile to recognize some so many spells, I finally reverted it. So I am leary of doing that again.

the most affected classes in order would probably be necromancer then all the healers, beastlords only got a few changes to make everything a little more pleasant for our end game spell bar instead of all the same icona dn the same for enchanters. although grinkles has brought a few more to my attention for enchanters. the changes arent super crazy, i tried to stay as close to orginal while still making the icons make sense for what the spell itself does. so quick heals are half hearts now, and druid and cleric runic 1's are pink hearts while shammy runic 1 is a blue heart, changes like that so you can tell what spell is which at glance, or in the case of shammy hot, you know a shaman just hotted you and you melee prob wanna click it. These icon changes work not only on the spell bar but in the buff and song windows as well. they also work with any of the icon packs that people already use for sod, like WoW icons and such.

What all spells is your mod affecting Tierilo?
I once used a UI mod, that made drastic changes to the spell icons. It took me quite awhile to recognize some so many spells, I finally reverted it. So I am leary of doing that again.
You bring up a valid point, but if a custom UI creator has done his/her job well, a change such as this should be relatively easy to get used to and should still make sense within the context of your custom spell icons. Tierilo doesn't change a red heart (heal) to an icon of a wolf in front of a blue sparkle, for instance; his changes do have a rhyme and reason to them, and if, say, icon 43 (I'm just making this up off the top of my head) happens to be a wand with a red sparkle, it stands to reason that icon 43 in a WoW-inspired set or any other set should convey something relatively in line with that idea (such as an image of red WoW particles or some such). Hope that clarifies things a bit. :)

If I recalled the name of the mod, I would list it so you could see what I mean. Suffice it to say, I was trying to cast spells completely from memory of what hotkey they should be on, not by what they looked like. (Playing from a couple different computers, meant that sometimes my spell sets weren't always saved the exact same.) Many of the spell icons were vastly different. The issues were less on my bst, then the issues it gave me trying to tank on my sk.

I am not against changing spell icons for convenience or aesthetics. Do you have a comprehensive list of your changes?

As an aside, if you use this mod after a spell patch you will end up having major spell problems (including possible death) from the way the Everquest client handles spells.

I am not against changing spell icons for convenience or aesthetics. Do you have a comprehensive list of your changes?

As an aside, if you use this mod after a spell patch you will end up having major spell problems (including possible death) from the way the Everquest client handles spells.

i can put a list together pretty quick here, in fact ill do it while im updating this spell file for todays change. it will be in order of how they show up in the spell list tho.
and i try to update it for most if not all spell changes, even the cast animation change to meat throw(or something like that).

also just realized my sig linked to old thread lol

i can put a list together pretty quick here, in fact ill do it while im updating this spell file for todays change. it will be in order of how they show up in the spell list tho.
and i try to update it for most if not all spell changes, even the cast animation change to meat throw(or something like that).

also just realized my sig linked to old thread lol

Sounds good.

Just another aside: It is really hard to see what is an important spell change from the client side spell file. As an example, that meat throw change made a broken quest completable, which would still be broken with the old file. Further, if you use the old file now and cast it, you would get an error and possibly disconnected.

I update them pretty quickly when i can for the people that use them, only have a handful of devoted followers so far. but i do put those changes into my spell file using winmerge to compare differences.

the spell_us file in the above link is now updated.

also here is a change list of the names of ever spell icon i changed.
Scourge
Panic the Dead
Sicken
Inspire Fear
Invoke Fear
Companion Spirit
Guardian Spirit
Frenzied Spirit
Vampiric Spirit
Spook the Dead
Vexing Spirit
Tainted Breath
Disease Cloud
Poison Bolt
Dark Empathy
Vampiric Embrace
Infectious Cloud
Heart Flutter
Envenomed Breath
Venom of the Snake
Envenomed Bolt
Thunder Strike
Affliction
Rage of the Wild
Wail of Fright
Vigilant Spirit
Pact of Shadow
Force Bolt
Force Rend
Void Shock
Word of Fulfillment
Archaic: Claws of the Chill
Vex
Complete Recovery
Relic: Spirit of Kaezul
Spirit of Kaezul Recourse
Relic: Sihala's Empathy
Relic: Essence of the Wild
Relic: Lure of the Void
Relic: Melody of the Shield
Word of Completion
Chloroblast
Circle of Completion
Gangrenous Touch of Zum`uul
Chilling Embrace
Corpal Empathy
Form of the Great Bear
Celestial Healing
Shroud of Death
Control
Modulating Rod
Asystole
Shadow Compact
Remedy
Trepidation
Dread of Night
Spirit of the Howler
Bane of Althuna
Pox of Gradalsh
Mala
Jinx
Nejax's Striking Curse
Nejax's Dampening Curse
Nejax's Rending Curse
Relic: Scourge of Life
Sublimate Soul Recourse
Song of the Murk
Nejax's Unmaking Curse
Summon Seeking Arrows
Summon Heartseeker Arrows
Summon Blade of Power
Summon Spear of Power
Wraithbond
Ethereal Remedy
Relic: Althuna's Remedy
Talisman of the Beast
Form of the Bear
NPC Complete Healing
Garrisons Mighty Mana Shock
Cloak of the Akheva
Venom of the Wild
Leaching Spirit
Shadowbond Recourse
Bond of Night
Chloroshock
Emotion: Fear
Caress of Sivyana
Scitterpox
Somatic Bond
Impact of Thunder
Tears of the Void
Inner Spirit
Black Plague
Plaguewind
Shroud of the Leech
Shroud of the Lich
Spear of Agony
Spear of Disease
Spear of Plague
Blissful Remedy
Plague Effect
Deadly Spirit
Lesser Rangefinder
Rangefinder
Greater Rangefinder
Runic: Cascading Vim
Runic: Sphere of Eternity
Runic: Spear of Woe
Runic: Spiritual Attuning
Glacial Strike
Brusco`s Belligerent Bellow
Runic: Elemental Fusion
Channel Essence
Bitter Cold
Elemental Barrage
Abstraction of Flame
Soul Shroud
Runic: Celestial Well
Gruplok Attuning Rod
Runic: Bird of Prey
Runic: Denon's Dissonant Duet
Form of the River Keeper
Fury of the Swamp
Heretic's Fork
The Rack
Iron Maiden
Brazen Bull
Summon Spectral Silks
Spirit of Soothing
Bitter Cold Recourse

Last edited:
It looks good to me.

PAD Forum People: Use this and report back if you like it or not. I am fine making it default if we do a little impromptu beta group. Report if you want any changes, also.

woot, thanks woldaff! i am also very open to criticism and requests. i already have a list of upcoming changes called grinkles changes on my desktop lol.

I love there for playing a healer. Obviously my main is a Wizard though and I do enjoy the icon change on Abstraction of Flame. Very convienient!

It looks good to me.

PAD Forum People: Use this and report back if you like it or not. I am fine making it default if we do a little impromptu beta group. Report if you want any changes, also.

For the most part I like it, there are just two icons that don't sit well for me as a bard.

1. Relic: Melody of the Shield would rather see as http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Natureward and not combine bp buff graphic.

2. Brusco's Belligerent Bellow with this list (and I've talked to Tier about it) is using an icon with a guitar, as a wind aka flute based spell. I know he did this to indicate that you need an instrument equipped, but it really rubs me to click a guitar icon for a flute song. Realistically it just needs to differentiate itself from the non-instrument required bellows and would suggest the icon from any of the following really:
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Spell:_Relak's_Rapid_Rending
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Spell:_Dissolute
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Spell:_Chaos_Vortex

1. Relic: Melody of the Shield would rather see as http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Natureward and not combine bp buff graphic.

2. Brusco's Belligerent Bellow (stuff i took out to save space)
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Spell:_Dissolute
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Spell:_Chaos_Vortex
i like these suggestions tho i do prefer http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Spell:_Banshee_Aura over natureward and maybe thats just cause i think that icon looks so cool :) also note i dont like using RRR icon for some reason (dont know what it is maybe its just i feel its used so many other places?) even though it would might be suiting for the spell the only icon bards have like it is selo's travel (this is probably why i dont like it)

Edit: Forgot Denon's targeted AE and the PBAOE also have that icon the targeted AE i rarely use but i use travel and the pbaoe relatively often

Last edited:
I will note that you did miss one sk spell for the change, to maintain consistency. Level 49 "spear of pain" spell got skipped. The use of the banshee aura icon for Brazen Bull (and I assume the rest of the spell line) will take a little getting used to, but makes sense visually. Any chance of making a slight change to either "Bond of Death" or "Vortex of Death" so they would be easy to tell apart at a glance? even something as simple as a smaller heart (maybe blue?) in front of the larger red heart the spell icon has.

Hey All. Jontrann here, thought my first post should be something helpful. I noticed in this pack that the SK HP spells, soul shroud and cloak of the akheva are the same graphic as acumen. I can't tell you how many times i've clicked them off thinking they are acumen already. I looked through all the icons and I think that the icon for mage pet summons looks pretty good! "soul" shroud and all. its like a ghost looking thing with a blue star. and if not that one, the icon for psalm of the four would be nice too.

Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom