Shared video memory & SoD

lynnettell

Dalayan Elder
So, I'm buying a new laptop. Unfortunately, due to needing struts & rear brakes on my car, I can't afford to throw out $2k like Xardon did for a super nice one.

The machine I'm looking at has 4 gig RAM, ATI RADEON HD 3200 graphics RS780M, with up to 1918MB shared video memory. I have a second laptop, so while online, all this machine will do is play SoD or other games.

Question. How many use shared video & are able to box well? I miss boxing since I had to sell my other desktop. This one has some bugs (no, not the POS I use now for my second laptop, this one will replace that one), and boxing & zoning sucks. I'm fine boxing, just the zoning issues take *forever*.

Basically, looking for input before I go throw several hundred bucks out tomorrow.

I can't answer your question here but I thought I'd interject anyway.

If you want a replacement desktop (instead of a second laptop), I bought my current desktop this year from Fry's electronics. It's refurbished, but I've had no issues with it, and it was quite cheaper than brand new, much less a brand new laptop. (I wanna say like $300 or so, not incl the monitor.) Athlon dual core 64, 5 gig ram, 500 gig hd, vista-home 64.

Fry's stocks a lot of refurbs, but they go through them pretty fast. You still get a warrantee on it too.

I thought about replacing desktop, the issue is I don't play from home sometimes. Well, basically weekends, I'm not home. And I can log on from work if slow.

So prefer a laptop.

I normally box on my desktop. But I do have SoD installed on my laptop. It is nowhere near as robust as the one you just laid out for us. (Mine is Centrino Duo at 2ghz, 2 gig ram, and Intel 945 graphics) I can box ok on mine if I turn spell effects off, so i would think you'll prolly be gtg on yours.

Gratz on the new LT, btw.

I have an old HP nc6000 with a 64mb radeon mobility chip. It runs a single instance of SoD alright in most zones. I doubt ANY newer laptop would have trouble with it UNLESS it has Intel graphics which are complete garbage.

NO.

In my experience, the shared memory route is not a good way to go.

I have a NVidia GeForce 9100 with the following:

Total Available Graphics Memory: 3840 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 3584 MB

My current computer is a Windows Vista (64x) Quad Core 2.30 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, (again) GeForce 9100 Integrated PC.

Basically SoD was installed on the computer when the computer was brand new out of the box (no junk installed yet) and I have never been able to 2 box on this machine. I could 2 box on a lot older machines with a PCI or AGP card easily before, but cannot with this.

I have yet to determine if it's any other part of the machine other than the integrated/shared video, but that's my conclusion as of right now. Until I can afford to purchase a PCIe card I will not know if there's a difference.

Good luck, let me know what comes of this...I'd like to hear the results.

I've been able to box on a Celeron 2Ghz w/ no video card so I dont know why others cant with much beefier systems. Granted, I never raided with that rig and loading zones was painful but the rigs you are talking about are lightyears beyond the celeron. SoD really does not touch the gfx card much anyway.

Actually, I ended up with the NVIDIA graphics bug, since I went with a different machine. However, I have no issues boxing, zoning, anything. 3 GB RAM on a laptop, shared memory.

And yes, I can box on raids with this setup (except when I forget I've got the other char on!). :p

Back
Top Bottom