Sanctuary Eqemu

Chrysocome

Dalayan Adventurer
There is no referral system, I simply enjoy this game for many of the reasons I enjoyed SOD and I wanted to share my experience. Chime in with your experiences if you've played.

* Custom content in the EQ engine (soon Unity)
* Custom classes and sub classes, but they will feel familar and make sense.
* Grouping is a huge part of the game
* No boxing
* Tradeskills and economy are big. You make quite a bit of your own gear or buy from players. Some combines require certain classes, e.g. jeweler is a sub class of enchanter.
* Discovering new things is a common occurance. There are hundreds of recipes the current player base hasnt discovered, and at least one zone we havent found.
* Raids are hard.
* The community is small still, but a great group of people. It's probably the best part of the game.

Theres a lot I've left out, but I didn't want a TLDR...

http://www.playsanctuary.com

Last edited:
Couldn't get past how linear and grindy it felt - like a Korean MMO with EQ graphics and interface. Maybe high-end stuff is more interesting, but honestly it was a terrible let down to play versus what is advertised.

i cant deny the grind. leveling is slow, getting materials to craft isn't fast. i think its so upgrades feel meaningful.

the tutorial zone (purgatory) is very linear and i almost quit in my first time through. game feels better after 20.

population is low these days as the devs work towards a rebuild in unity. no point now, right?

on one hand, the game looks a lot better and they can do much more without client restrictions. on the other hand we're losing that sweet eq nostalgia.

idk how i feel about it...yet.

I'd never dabbled in the Sanctuary server, but I'm intrigued to see how their foray into Unity fares. It's a powerful engine that could do wonders for a game like EverQuest, whose biggest flaw has always been an inflexible, quirk-riddled client with awful lighting, awful collision detection, awful draw distance, an awful camera....

For those curious what Unity can do with just a tiny slice of EQ, here's one person's experiment with the original EverQuest tutorial zone:

The lighting is great. When moving forward, the character walks a few paces before reaching running speed. The skybox allows for the rendering of a much more impressive and realistic sky. The camera is "tugged" to the left or right according to the player's movements instead of being locked/snapped to a single position. So much potential!

Anyway, thanks for the news, Chrysocome. ;)

I was cautiously optimistic about the Unity re-write at first, but the more I see the more hype I get. If you haven't already, I suggest checking out the Discord to see some of the screenshots.

Back
Top Bottom