[Runic 2] Rangers Bird Pet

Kedrin

Dalayan Pious Diety
Is there any way this pets health could be looked into?

My pet has zero chance of living through the Blazewind and Warchief Rujik Moktar fights, unless a healer is healing the group only for my pets hp and that would lead to them going OOM faster and then us being unable to win the fights.

I didn't feel the need to make this post previous to tonight, since after the patch forcing pet users to wear a Companion Health item 100% of the time, I have not had an item to wear.

I just thought that my pet was getting rocked because it had 40% less hp then he should and if I could only get an item with Companion Health VIII on it that a ranger could use this problem would simply correct itself.

This morning I was randomly looking at items in my bank and I saw that Shroud of Ruinous Fire now has Companion Health VIII. I was rather happy about the change and I quickly replaced the Standard of the Vah Shir I have been wearing. I thought the loss of 40 hp and a good number of other stats was well worth my pet having 40% more hp and possibly having the ability to live thought the fights that my guild raids.

We did Blazewind tonight with my very new Companion Health VIII, fresh out of my bank.

I made sure that my pet, Mooshie, had every HP buff I could possibly give him: R:Aego, R:Focus, SSS, Combine BP. He also had a full set of Mage summoned gear, a BL collar, and 2 mage weapons that proc runes.

My pet died twice (yes I summon my pet in the middle of the fights and he dies on average of two to three times in both the Blazewind and Warchief Rujik Moktar fights) in the same exact places of the fight that he always is killed.

This leads me to believe that there is zero reason for me to take a downgrade just so my pet has more hp. Even with 40% more hp he will still be killed in the same fights that I have problems with him being killed without the Companion Health.

My Ranger Bird Pet DPS this last raid week:
The Infested Monstrosity: 7 DPS
Warchief Rujik Moktar: 5 DPS
Blazewind : 1 DPS

The Pet's only purpose is to put Spot IV on the mob I am killing.

I was just wondering if the pet having no HP is on purpose and if the developers are alright with the rangers Runic 2 pet only being used fully on one T13 fight. I have to kill off my pet for Sharn`Ree, Blood's Justice if you guys are unaware.

The pet does so little DPS that I personally don't see the point of it having so little survivability.

I just wish the bird had the ability to live on fights that we do in my guild. I don't care if you add more hit points to the pet or just make it take less damage from AE's or spells in general.

Last edited:
why not make it a pet like the wiz pet

aka cast spot on the mob the rng is bowing at and dont have it run in melee or so and make it invulnerable vs ae dmg or so ....

The ranger bird pet is only a slightly more extreme example of pet classes in general. Beastlord and mage pets also die much too quickly on intense aoe fights. Pet hp boosts are well warranted, greatly needed, and have been promised, but there's been no follow-through.

The ranger bird pet is only a slightly more extreme example of pet classes in general. Beastlord and mage pets also die much too quickly on intense aoe fights. Pet hp boosts are well warranted, greatly needed, and have been promised, but there's been no follow-through.

agree, pet hp is just horrendous atm.... as any pet class will tell you. runic 2 pets with ~12kish base hp? 9k for other pets? you guys are treating our pets like they have player mitigation.

If you don't want to increase the hps, let them share our spell ward, dodge, party, ripo mods etc as well as increase their base avoidance and mitigation. Runic pets getting wrecked to ae Dmg at a much higher rate is unacceptable especially with the reduced hps as of late.

I feel like pets have about half as much hp as they should, given their poor mitigation of mêlée and spells.

i dont think increasing hp was ever really the answer... with how terrible healing for pets scales... mitigation seems like a much better way to upgrade pets rather then tacking on pure hp and damage.

I'm not sure that buffing the companion tomes would have any noticeable effect. Most of the aoe damage at high tiers is unresistable, so the companion resist tomes have little effect in those fights. The companion armor tome could be augmented to give a percentage of the owner's hp (a function of either raw hp or sta) in addition to the mitigation boost the tome grants, but it seems like it would be easier to just adjust the pet hp back to where it is supposed to be in the first place.

I was more so thinking the tomes could give the pet a flat % spell mitigation to different types of spells other then just giving it resists since they are all but worthless at high end raids.

Much like dodging tome but for each type of spell. Add three more ranks, make each rank let the pet get hit for 10% less dmg. So after all four ranks your pet could take 40% less, say, fire damage.

Or you could just give them more hp. Or just let them take 50% less spell dmg.

Last edited:
What happened to that old idea to make rangers cast a raid-pets-wide rune ? obv would get your mana off straight dps towards pets survivability, but I thought it was giving rangers something. The idea of giving an actual pet troubled me as it steps on BST toes while the class is already doing a shitload more of dps.
Otherwise making a familiar instead of a pet, agree with Sinni

they did have it, but at 680 mana, 2 second cast for a 3250 absorb that, iirc, didn't work on magic damage, it was not used

if its low mana cost, low cast time, hits the whole raid/long range, has a sufficient absorb value, and works on magic damage, then i think it could be an interesting option. i'm not sure ranger is the best option to put it on though, they are already one of the few classes that end every fight oom. combine shaman relic stats into one spell and make the new relic this spell

As the healer healing Mooshie in the OP for blazewind the gheals were def cooking,
I usually start casting at about 70% group hps and it lands when they around 30%
I've never played a char with Bane of the Fallen equip but Kedrin hps were def below 30% when each gheal
landed.. not sure if that sword is why and/or the pet is taking extra/crit nukes.

Even with delific brand on the mob, none of the gheals were able to save Mooshie and any sooner casting would make gheals land at about 50% group hps which would be wasting mana.

I support any suggested changes to help Runic2 ranger pets have more survivability.

This is sounding more and more like a problem with every newer high end encounter having purely unresistable spell damage. The ranger pet in particular was supposed to be relatively fragile - that was the trade off for a pure increase of dps when it was put in. More ranger DPS, but with the added DPS being subject to many of the mob AE/Special damage that a ranger can normally avoid. Alternatively, we did give the birds relatively high resists. Out of all the pet classes, Rangers have the least to complain about when survivability issues come to the fore given the point of the pet was a pure DPS boost but not in every situation. If we wanted a pure dps boost all the time we would have just increased ranger dps.

Still, I think we may need to look into adding resists checks to the end game - even if they are only partly mitigatable. I did not realize that basically every end fight was completely ignoring resists until slaariel just did a search in the last two tiers. For some reason I was under the impression that the resist checks were being done script side.

Also - the ranger spell did absorb spell damage, but rangers all hated it so it was removed.

they are typically unresistable but still damage is reduced by a specific resist, ie. sharn'ree's jaylas insight

Yeah, I know - that is what I assumed also (and what I meant above when I said script side checks). I looked into each specific script and that is not the case near as much as I had thought.

I knew that a lot of high end encounters ignored resists and that it was problematic. I just never did the actual foot work to find out how many/where etc.

Back
Top Bottom