Riposte and mobs

Kakos

Dalayan Adventurer
I've had discussions with a number of people on this, and all seem to have different views.

Can someone confirm that mobs do riposte? and if so, what's the view on tanking mobs that hit really hard. Is it worth while to turn attack off in order not to eat riposte at the expense of loss of frontal mitigation? In addition, is it effective to turn on attack and off attack in order to get mitigation bonus without eating a riposte?

Mobs do riposte, and a good tank will know to mitigate ripostes on mobs with large base damage.

This may entail not autoattacking, equipping a shield, using a 2hnder or w/e. Any hit (kick or bash) will keep you aux tanking the mob - which is also very importan - so be sure to not let your aux on the mob fade.

Mobs do riposte

The vast majority riposte, but some here and there don't. NPCs have classes just like player characters; the vast majority (including raid bosses) are Warriors and will start riposting around the same level a Warrior would. Pretty much the only reasons for an NPC to be anything other than a Warrior are a) to give them a mana pool, and/or b) to stop them from riposting.

As an example, I recall making a certain boss in Spires hit really, really hard at some point; I made that boss a non-riposting class partly because I felt having them riposte would just be cruel. Most huge-damage-few-attacks bosses are Warriors though.

turn attack on once every 6 seconds and just dont do it if you're already low to keep aux up. auxing is entirely too strong in this game compared to slow and keeping no aux on hard mobs is ill advised

edit: i didnt know that kick/bash kept aux but you could just do that since thats 1 attack to be riposted vs a round of attacks or what not.

Last edited:
from my years of playing i rarely (if ever) saw a kick/bash/slam/backstab get riposted. whenever mobs enrage im usually always able to kick through it or such.
one thing that does annoy me however is that throwing weapon can be riposted but arrows can not (logic fail?)

backstab probably didn't get riposted because you can only riposte things from in front of you! Unless I'm wrong about mechanics, or you're backstabbing from the front often.

I don't see any reason why bash/kick/etc couldn't be riposted. They apparently wouldn't be riposted by Enrage though: the enrage code shortcuts autoattacks specifically before they waste time doing damage calculations and such while normal ripostes/avoidance skills come more towards the middle of calculations and apply more widely to melee damage in general. (This is why the Warrior AA that lets you ignore a % of enemy avoidance doesn't let you attack through a portion of Enrage ripostes, too.)

Throwing being different than archery as far as avoidance goes is probably an oversight or just not caring from back when throwing was 100% worthless for damage. Archery gets some special checks in the avoidance code; throwing could just be added to those.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom