Request for a ranger quest

charlie2999

Dalayan Beginner
Hey.
I've as of lately found myself enjoying the ranger class alot, but as i do not like to box (destroys the immersion and part of the fun for me) I'm having trouble soloing. This is in most part because i can't afford to buy arrows continously and even if i could I wouldent be able to carry the ammount needed for it to be effective (without runing back and forth to town).

I've asked in ooc and looked on wiki for arrow summoning items and found that there are some way high end ones. Which I in time will look forward to. The problem is for me at least at these middle to low levels.

So, what I am requesting is that there be some sort of item that summons arrows that can be quested at around or near 30-40. The item does not need to have any stats at all, just a side click summon arrow of some kind.

The level 20 magician spell summon arrows returns an arrow with 1 damage and 100 range.
I would be very happy if this bracer made arrows with stats as low as 0 damage 50 range. I don't think that would remove any of the usefullness of having a mage in the group, but it would make me able to solo usefully, and enjoy the class just a little bit more!

Thanks for your time ;)

P.S. These are the high end summoning items im refering to:
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Quiver_of_the_Mind
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Arrowmaking_Rig

I've soloed a lot on my way to 65, and a fletching kit + components has always been more than enough to keep me fed for hours, and it is very cheap to boot. I don't really buy the "can't afford to buy arrows continuously" bit, to be honest, especially since you're willing to have arrows with 0 or 1 damage...

Plus, as a Ranger, you can easily alternate between melee and bow kiting. Usually, I'd bow kite a low dark blue to 50% health, then melee it to death, bind wounds two or three times, rinse and repeat.

While a summon arrows item at lower levels would be neat, I don't think it's fair to paint the situation the way you did. Ranger have a fairly easy time soloing as is.

I once had a ranger I enjoyed quite a bit, but ended up retiring him for the same reason, I could run to town fill my whole inventory with arrows and still use them all up within 30 min of bow kiting.. (that was with Darkwood bow and 8 bags full of arrows)
Fletching is a good way to go, but isn't nearly as cheap as you portray it to be, not to mention you need to make about 100 bows before you can start making arrows.

I think and item to summon arrows would be a neat idea, perhaps even worthy of replacing one of the starfall items. I think the Stalker's Band makes a worthy candidate for replacement. Honestly, the +1 damage is negligible and the dex and cha can easily be replaced (see newport ring) I and I bet a lot of other rangers would Love to see a arrow summoning item instead.

Make the arrows 0/1 dmg, and low range would not make any other item, mage or fletching obsolete as the arrows summoned would just plain suck. but they would at least be arrows.

Suggestions:

A) A inventory clickable insta cast item that summons 1 stack of 0/1 damage 50/75 range [NO DROP] arrows (assuming 0 dmg arrows would still do some damage from bow) with a 15/30 second or so recast. This would make it possible to still kite and summon arrows while not making it spammable.

B) Same as above, just an item that needs to be equipped.

I have never played a ranger for any significant period of time, but the ones I have spoken to about this mentioned that they can carry significantly more arrows worth of ingredients than stacks of completed arrows along with a fletching kit and make more when they run out to increase their longevity in the field.

Wouldn't a better solution be to make sorts of Arrow bundle kits that function similar to the way Medical kits work?
e.g A 5-10 charge clicky that would summon a single stack of 0 damage arrows.

This way, you could effectively stretch your arrow supply by whatever factor the charges would be. Could either A. make it a fletchable item, related to arrow trivials B. Make them buyable off of fletching vendors, as they'd most likely have it.
At least this way you can fletch all your kits before going into the field instead of carrying mats to make more as you go. If a rough number conversion is needed, carrying materials and fletching in the field would roughly be 4 stacks materials to make 20 stacks arrows, so 1 kit = 5 stacks of arrows.

If the goal here is to make life for players who do NOT have clickable summoned arrows easier, this would at least make town trips less frequent but still required (and still bring the same amount of arrows as carrying fletching materials). The quality of the arrows isn't the issue to developers. Its to keep fletching and town trips still part of the game. At least, I think it is....

Hey.
Just to get some idea on how many arrows is really needed..
Lets say you for arguments sake can carry 500 arrows (kept in components or in premade stacks, whatever).

I'm guesstimating I use about 30-40 arrows to kite a mob, I think its actually higer but I cant test now as im at work.

lets use the lower number
500/30 = 17 -> round up to an even ~20

so carrying 500 arrows i can kill at most 20 mobs.

20 mobs you may think is alot but its not when you are out in the middle of some inaccessible place (and i think the numer is lower but as i said i can't verify right now)

as plastmatic wrote:
Make the arrows 0/1 dmg, and low range would not make any other item, mage or fletching obsolete as the arrows summoned would just plain suck. but they would at least be arrows.

I agree with this as said in my first post. Make them crappier then any other bought / or summoned, not asking for super arrows ;).

robopirateninja:
I have spoken to about this mentioned that they can carry significantly more arrows worth of ingredients than stacks of completed arrows along with a fletching kit and make more when they run out to increase their longevity in the field
It is very true that keeping them in components will store more than in completed form. But this still requires you to basically fill your inventory to last any significant time and even then they go fast. Personally I dont want to run back to town every 2 hours to buy more components to continue kiting. Without my bow i cannot solo as everything my level eats me.

Lilbrate
Wouldn't a better solution be to make sorts of Arrow bundle kits that function similar to the way Medical kits work?
I guess this would work.
Supposing that if you filled a 8 slot bag and each item had 20 uses and summoned a stack of 20 each time, that would equal 3200 arrows. Im curious to how much that would cost to make though (or buy of a vendor). I'd be way happier doing a quest for some item that clickies summons. But i guess that its all a matter of what balances well.

quoting Plasmatic again.
perhaps even worthy of replacing one of the starfall items.
I would love that..

Lilbrate
Its to keep fletching and town trips still part of the game. At least, I think it is....
Well i would still fletch, if you want to reach the high damage you would need to.
That and arent there alot of nice bows made from fletching?
Also I'd need to go to town to sell of my loot, just as every other class does.

Last edited:
Heres my suggestion

Big bag of sticks
[lore][nodrop]
Effect: Summon: sharp sticks (cast:5.0 sec) (recast:5.0 sec)
WT:10.0

The 'Big bag of sticks' does not fit in any container and hence takes up one of the primary slots.

it summons 20x

Sharp Stick
[norent][nodrop]
Slot: Ammo
DMG: 0
Range: 50
WT:0.5

Lets say you for arguments sake can carry 500 arrows (kept in components or in premade stacks, whatever).

2.5 bags of arrows out of 8? If you're going out to bow kite, I recommend reorganizing your inventory.

If the wiki is right that each combine makes 20 arrows, then carring 3 bags of components plus 1 fletching kit will give you 600 components / 4 components/combine x20 arrows/combine = 3000 arrows; very close to your "medical kit" equivalent example, and this only makes use of half your bag slots. ;) Again using your calculations, this is 120 mobs.

If you want to solo a ranger and use a bow low level ( which really doesnt cut it against Melee unless you are an heavy twink IMO ) , you'll have to deal with this issue because well... Archery at low level even as a ranger is not very efficient. Don't forget rangers have a '' Coat '' line of spell along with a DS, so they SHOULD be meleeing at some point for damage input.

Jadelia

Last edited:
ok, so that argument seems to be going nowhere. Although I still dont like the idea that i can't stay out in the bush and solo for a few levels like most other classes. As a monk, druid, wizard, etc.. I can park my ass at a camp and stay there for 1 or 2 levels before i go back to town to sell and replenish (and no i dont want to play those classes instead =p).

Isen't the ranger the only class that needs to continously buy supplies to do any of their primary type of damage?

Remember im not asking for arrows to do good damage, im asking for arrows so i can do any ranged damage, i'm completly fine with the soloing going slower when my fletchign supplies run out ;)

What i'm asking for is really a way to be able to continue the soloing untill you are able to make it back to town, it's not always that easy to get to a fleching merchant.

What i'm asking for is really a way to be able to continue the soloing untill you are able to make it back to town, it's not always that easy to get to a fleching merchant.

Especially when the fletching merchants I know of only appear during the day.

ok, so that argument seems to be going nowhere. Although I still dont like the idea that i can't stay out in the bush and solo for a few levels like most other classes. As a monk, druid, wizard, etc.. I can park my ass at a camp and stay there for 1 or 2 levels before i go back to town to sell and replenish (and no i dont want to play those classes instead =p).

Isen't the ranger the only class that needs to continously buy supplies to do any of their primary type of damage?

Remember im not asking for arrows to do good damage, im asking for arrows so i can do any ranged damage, i'm completly fine with the soloing going slower when my fletchign supplies run out ;)

Look, i'm 65 with 190 AAs and i'm still trying to get my clicky arrow quest item. Even with Endless Quiver SoD equivalent, yes I still need to go buy arrows. There's no miracle solution until you get in a good guild and can go hunt for your VAH clicky or Raid Plane of Nightmare if you want decent arrows.

Look, i'm 65 with 190 AAs and i'm still trying to get my clicky arrow quest item. Even with Endless Quiver SoD equivalent, yes I still need to go buy arrows. There's no miracle solution until you get in a good guild and can go hunt for your VAH clicky or Raid Plane of Nightmare if you want decent arrows.

Or Stormkeep.

So you guys see no reasons at all to have any type of summoned arrows item questable at mid levels?

Is it too much work?
Does it cause offbalances?
Other reasons?

I'd even be decently happy if it required me to get to level 50 or 60 before being able to do it, I just really think there should be something in-between really nice clicky summoned arrows that require raids to get and no summoned arrows. I am myself a casual player and will probably never get those.

Look, i'm 65 with 190 AAs and i'm still trying to get my clicky arrow quest item.

I'd see this as a normal tradeoff for being able to solo mobs up to 65 if you like, with very minimal risks.
With your summon item at low levels, it would mean you'd have absolutely no downside. Casters can run out of mana. If you summon yourself free arrows every now and then, you can't ever find yourself in danger (except when you screw up) and keep on killing mobs for free. That would be a bit out of whack imo.

With your summon item at low levels, it would mean you'd have absolutely no downside. Casters can run out of mana. If you summon yourself free arrows every now and then,

I'd be happy if the arrows could only be summoned out of combat, then it would be identical to a caster class needing to med in between fights (which a ranger also needs to do).

If they could only be summoned out of combat I dont see rangers having any benafit over any other class, both have downtime, and if you forget to prepare your very dead.

I cant think of a reason to counterfeit the existing arrow summons
Would arrows that suck more then the lowest level summoned mage arrows throw it off balance (not a rhetorical question I would really like to know why if they do)? I would still take every chance i can get to get mage arrows, but I would also be able to continue soloing when none are available and im in the middle of nowhere (and give us whom don't play enough to be wanted in raids a very welcome upgrade).

I really think there should be something in-between really nice clicky summoned arrows that require raids to get and no summoned arrows. I am myself a casual player and will probably never get those.
It requires a raid of ungeared 65s, or a single group of moderately geared raid characters to obtain.

The item you suggested is a rather nice piece of item in my eyes

[MAGIC ITEM] [LORE ITEM]
Slot: WRIST
AC: 16
Effect: Summon Arrows (Must Equip. Casting Time: 4.0)
DEX: +15 STA: +15
Critical Strike: +1%
Recommended level of 50.
WT: 1.5 Size: SMALL
Class: RNG
Race: ALL

To me this would still leave plenty of room to a non equippable/no stats item clickable from inventory (and only out of combat) that summons arrows with damage 0 and range of 25-50 ish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom